1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Finding A Cable

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by betamac, Dec 9, 2003.

1. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi i am looking for a cable to connect my Speakers to my PC for Dolby 5.1

I have the creative DTT2500 Digital Speakers it has a SP-DIF (RCA) Connector output, previously i had the Asus A7N8X motherboard which also has a SPDIF (RCA) conector which i used to get Dolby Digital using Nvidia Soundstorm

Now i have upgraded to the Abit AN7 and it does not have a SPDIF (RCA) input but only the optical (I Think you call them toshlink) input,

So i am looking for a Cable to go from SPDIF (RCA) on my speakers to the Optical input on the motherboard.

Either that or a converter to convert the SPDIF (RCA) connector to a Optical connector on the lead i already have.

Any help would be appreciated

2. outtathaway

outtathaway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Try www.keene.co.uk, they should be able to sort you out with a convertor, various other sites also offer the same sort of thing.

3. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, i whent to that webste they have a converter which will convert one to the other the prob is this is its gona be exspensive, as its £20 for the converter then i need to buy a Optical cable on top fo that its gona have to do as a last resort but surely there is a straight cable that will do the job there both digital connections

The Speaker Output is The Folowing

Images removed. You can't link images from another site here. sorry. - Mod

Anyone else know of a cable?

4. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Maplin do a convertor for around £15. The convertor needs to be plugged in to the mains, so with this in mind I'm pretty sure it would'nt be possible to get an optical to rca on one cable. I'm not adverse to the exact science but it's to do with the way that optical handles a digital signal with electrical pulses, a very different way to a coaxial cable.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,018
    Optical is optical i.e. a pulse of light, the coaxial is an electrical pulse. The stupid thing the signal has to be converted from electrical to optical for the optical link in the first place, then back again at the other end.

6. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Thanks. I knew it was something like that.

7. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys

so i guess its £15 for conververt and £10 for optical lead or can you get cheaper than £10?

not the cheap solution i wanted but my speakers are the digital versions and dont have analogue so its gota be done

8. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    those convertors are a hit and miss. My dad tried one from maplins with his home stereo and it just refused to work.

Anyway you can either do that, or make a co-ax bracket up yourself as i have for my nf7-s. Im sure the an7 has an onboard conector for co-ax spdif out.

9. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi james how do i find out if it has the connector?

If it does how do you make up a bracket?

Thanks

10. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    good news - it does:)

check your user manual for your an7. Chapter 1, page 2-11. Theres a diagram of the fp-audio motherboard-header.

Pin 12=SpDif in
    Pin 14=SpDif out

all you need to do is buy a 50p rca jack from maplins and connect the inner part to the spdif out (with a wire), and the outer part to any ground part. Job done - it'll work.

The only hard part, is finding a place to mount it. I used a backplate from an old soundcard and just screwed the rca jack straight to it. easy:)

theres two ways to connect the wire to the motherboard header.
    1) solder straight to it. Its the quickest way, but isn't as conveniant as:
    2) using something like a female molex. it will plug stright into that header, and you can solder the wire to that instead. That way you can unplug it as needed.

11. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fantastic, i had a search on maplin could not seem to find a RCA Jack.

Did you buy yours online?

Is there any soldering etc required or just connect pins?

12. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    i bought mine instore. i had a look but couldnt find the right socket online either:confused:

anyway its definatly in-store - i bought mine from maplins. 49p if i remember lol.

As for soldering yes - it will require some soldering, but very little. Only 2 points - one on the rca jack, and the other on the motherboard header.

http://www.acebackstage.com/acepages/videoconnectors.html

Here we go. Item #30-425-B on the left. that is a panel-mount rca jack, which is exactly what i used. You can definatly get these from maplins.

there is another option:
    Item #D30-425 on the right. Its a small plastic panel with two rca jacks connected. The top picture is the front of the jacks, and the bottom picture is the back.

From that picture you can just see there are two parts to the jack - the outer part and the inner part. The inner part is what you need to connect to the spdif-out on the motherboard.

Now, if you use something like that item above, then you'll have to also connect the outer part of the rca jack to the motherboard header. This time to a different pin - pin 11 (ground). the reason being is that if you use rca jacks mounted to a plastic panel, they wont be grounded with the case - meaning you need that extra ground wire.

the main advantage of this option, is that its the safest way of doing things (not that the other way is dangerous). Also, it mabey be easier for you to fix that plastic panel to your case rather than a single rca jack.

13. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,018
    betamac here is how you should have shown those sockets but in colour.;)

Attached Files:

14. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx for all the help,

I would not trust myself soldering but a mate of mine says he can do it for me he pretty much knows what he's doing

It will save me £20

Why oh why could they not include both connections, oh well i will report back if i get it all sorted :)

Thanks again