1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help dvd plackback

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by swanytroon, Jun 19, 2004.

1. swanytroon

swanytroon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    well im upgradeing my pc 2 a hcpc step by step but the first thing which is wrong is dvd play back is bad quailty it looks like it refreshes the screen in 3 parts of something so wat upgrade wood get this away

my spec is 1800xp
    256mb 2100
    gf4 built in using 64mb
    3 year old dvd drive(i dnt fink that is the problem)

thanks

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,405
    I'd say once you get your Gfx adapter upgraded you'll get much better DVD playback.. the problem could well be that as things stand your gfx is stealing 64mb of system RAM, and you just dont have any going spare as things stand..

extra 256 RAM and at least a radeon9600 will cure both DVD and gaming issues IMO..

3. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Yep i agree with The Dude, i used to have a GF4 MX440 64MB GFX card in my HTPC for DVD playback.

Your DVD drive shouldn't be the problem, so i'd look at memory & GFX card first.

Ever since i upgraded my memory to 512mb, and dropped in a ATI Radeon 9500 non pro, it's been very sweet PQ wise. (Ok i had to install one of those heatsink pipe cooler jobbies to keep it cool, as these things are power hungry and give out loads of heat) But i'm very happy with it now for DVD playback.

Next upgrade will be a complete makeover so i can play HD files, something like a P4 3ghz or higher. As for now it's great for DVD playback.

Good luck with your project.

Cheers

Cosmic023

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD playback isn't very demending on either CPU or memory.

Have you tried updating drivers & reinstalling you DVD software player? You could download a trial version of Power DVD or Win DVD.

Granted a better graphics card should result in better images but as it is, your system shouldn't be "that" bad.

:smoke:

5. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    swanytroon:

Did it work before ?? Maybe a component has gone faulty ??

Or like Kramer has said, maybe it's a software thing ??

6. swanytroon

swanytroon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    it has been like that from day 1

7. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,405
    DVD playback isn't particularly demanding as such.. but on a 256mb system with 64mb gobbled by the gfx adapter you're gonna get these kind of problems unless you're still running win'98..

you need 110mb of ram just to load XP, then another 20-30 mb for AV software, then another 20mb to load your DVD software, then probably at least 20mb of little oddities that load at windows startup...

I don't think you're ever gonna get satisfactory performance until you get some more Ram in there, everything will work better, not just DVDs and games. the next step is to UG your gfx adapter for faster gaming and better DVD playback..

Also, as a first step make sure the indexing service is turned off, if you're using lots of VM and it starts cataloging the disk everything grinds to a halt..

I can't remember if it's on or off by default in 2000/XP, but it's useless anyway..

8. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    swanytroon:

Maybe a reinstall of Win98se, drivers and software would help ?? Apart from testing the memory & GFX adapter in another machine, that's gonna be the first step. Maybe try another GFX adapter to see if it's that causing the problem ??

512mb of memory will help a lot, i know it did in my machine when i upped the memory from 256mb to 512mb.

I use Win XP Pro nowdays, and wouldn't go back to any version of win9x for anything !!

The Dude:
    I know the indexing service is on (default) for XP, can't remember with win2k. As i haven't used it in about 12 months.

9. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,405
    Isn't indexing just the best idea Microsoft have ever had...

Great for webservers, absolutely bugger all use to anybody else... :thumbsdow

It's the first (of many) services i get rid of when setting up PCs...

'Task Scheduler' is another favourite of mine...

10. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    What's new, MS are always switching on all the features when you load one of their products onto your PC. It then takes you many hours to find 'em and switch 'em off !! :D

11. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,405
    i can understand some things, as you may well and truly stuffed if they're turned off and you need them for an app or whatever... but :censored: disk indexing??

Those guys at MS sure have a sick sense of humour.. It probably gets disabled when you install IIS.... :)

12. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    swanytroon,

If you want to save on memory resourses etc then you can always try a hardware decoder card such as creative Dxr2 (win98) or the Dxr3 (Xp) both can be sought on ebay for next to nothing. Because it is a harware decoder it doesn't zap your memory and because they have s-vhs and composite outputs you'll get an excellant picture both on your pc and to an external source should you wish to connect one up and not to forget the spdif output for dd/dts etc.

Sinbrad

13. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I agree with sinbrad, those Creative video decoding cards are great, had one in my Celeron PC. Shame about the software, pretty poor with the DXR2 setup that i had, ending up using an earlier copy of PowerDVD to use instead.