Need help deciding on sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by PuppetMaster120, Feb 19, 2014.

1. PuppetMaster120

PuppetMaster120

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Guys,

I am currently deciding on a sub the two main subs i am considering is the velodyne max eq 12 and the BK Electrionic's Monolith Plus - DF what i know is that the velodyne max eq comes with a calbiration microphone, a remote control with volume controls and presets such as movies, music, games etc, and an LED read out for the volume. But i've not heard anything about the Monolith Plus -DF sub. What features does it have comparing it to the Velodyne and how low does it go, i've read good things for the velodyne but was just wondering if the monolith plus can sound better even without the calibration microphone.

Just to let you guys know my current setup is an: Onkyo 818, KEF KHT3005SE with a KEF Kube 2 sub, i would like to change this sub in the future though so i have come here to have some advice from you guys.

Thanks in advance

2. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,093
    I have not heard much about this model velo although it has been out a couple of years, which IMV makes you wonder how many have been sold over here.

The BK Mono on the other hand has plenty of owners and bags of good reviews and positive feedback on these forums.

The Mono will certainly go lower in room and has more power so in performance terms I am sure it is a winner in this contest. With an 818 amp that has XT32 do you need the eq functions that the velo has, it's probably a case of jam on jam so is it necessary. The extra price of the velo is probably down to the eq which is not really needed as you have the 818.

If it was me and you want an alternative to consider I would be looking at the new SVS PB2000 which is a step up from the Mono and cheaper than the Velo. They are just coming out now and are definitely worth considering. The SB2000 is sealed and generally will have a bit more slam where the PB2000 will go that bit lower as it is ported.

SVS 2000 Series Subwoofers Bring 500W Of Bass

3. rb5201

rb5201

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I just replaced a velo cht 10 with a bk400, looked at mono but it is just too big and wouldn't get the green light from the wife!
    I also looked at the eq max to, but lack of reviews and the love for anything by bk made me choose the bk.
    My previous velo was good but if the remote and presets are swaying you then I would say I had both of those features on my old cht and I only used the remote for the first day or so, once at right level I never changed it. And despite a fair bit of tinkering I never heard much difference between the 4 different options you have and just left it on movies.
    So far I am very impressed with the 400.

4. PuppetMaster120

PuppetMaster120

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies and keith really loved the review for the new SVS sub was really interesting read. Guys is it best to go with a downward firing sub or is a forward firing sub is the way to go, if i do go for a downward firing sub will i get negative feedback from the floor in my room i have wood flooring and i dont want to get boomy bass. I want to get the feeling when the bass hits you in the chest haha if you know what i mean and tight bass too i really hope that the mono+ does that for me, i dont think i will go for the velo after reading rb5201's post about the mic and remote control but still not sure.

Would love to hear some more opinions on this. Are they any proper reviews for the mono+?

5. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,093
    A few years ago Russ Williams did a review on here for the straight Mono which had very high praise indeed and off the back of that BK have sold hundreds of em. There has not been a review of the + version that I have seen but you can be sure it will be the same only with more output.

There is a punters review of the + version here.
    BK Monolith Subwoofer - the 500 watt version | whathifi.com

6. PuppetMaster120

PuppetMaster120

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Keith

Thanks for posting the link to the sub, am reading alot of awesome things from it, and i've seen the pictures of the non + mono and wow it looks so huge, i have a question whats the difference between downard firing and forward firing, does one offer better sound quailty or not. This might sound crazy but i want my house to shake lmao. Also would the mono+ seemlingly intergrate well with the speakers i have

Thanks again mate for the help

7. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,093
    Down or front firing should be no real difference in performance other than if you have a wooden suspended floor in which case a front firer would be better than a df.

Some prefer DF if they have cats or kids that might damage the front firers grill, a down firer is just like a box so looks much less like a speaker.

8. MemX

MemX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    I have heard that some of the higher order harmonic frequencies are reduced with downfiring but I don't think I've seen any graphs!

Interesting debate around suspended wooden floors, though - AVS views seem to say that concrete floors / walls are good for removing room vibrations, but that a suspended wooden floor seems to offer a more 'tactile', exciting bass experience because it feels like the room is moving rather than being completely inert. Josh Ricci has posted that even with his crazy system(s), a lower power system in a room with a wooden suspended floor has given him more tactile bass than a higher power system in an inert concrete box :)

9. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,093
    Hi Paul, I have not seen those debates regarding suspended wood floors I must seek them out and have a read.:) I always was of the belief that a solid floor was better for a downfiring sub just as a side firer is best firing into a solid brick wall if possible to get some boundary gain.

I can see that a downfirer onto a wood floor would excite the room and be more tactile but I see that may have downsides due to loosing energy which is absorbed by the floor.

I guess there are positives and negatives whichever you choose.:)

10. Sessen Ryu

Sessen Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    That makes sense to me actually. In my old place I had suspended wooden floor, - now I am in a solid concrete box (although my concrete box is about 40% bigger than my old room) and the difference (using the same sub) is as MemX has described. Bass is a little more exciting with suspended floors, but I would say it's cleaner in solid concrete.

I have also noticed a difference when pointing my front firing sub in various directions, - my FF is at the back of the room in line with the sofa, - pointing it towards the front speakers had the worst result... it sounded the most localised at higher frequencies, and had the least punch. Towards the side or back wall it carried the most weight (and had subtle differences)... - pointing directly at the side of my sofa had again subtle, but noticable differences (if you're looking for them), but more similar to the pointing it at the walls than firing frontwards.

I guess arguably you have more options with a front firing, as you can play with direction, - something you can't do with most down firing subs (although of course you could just get an Auralex, and sit a DF sub on it's side and remove the feet!)

Personally I like front firing as I like to see the driver and have no kids or pets ruining everything ;)

11. PuppetMaster120

PuppetMaster120

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for all the replies guys i really appreciate it and i am sorry for the late reply. Oh boy by reading all what you guys have said its going to be a tough decision when it comes to FF and DF, i like the concept of DF in the wake it can shake my room due to my room having wooden floors but then the FF design allows for more precise placement, still having problems deciding, hahah lol sorry guys, wish i could test out before deciding on which.

Will definitely look into this more, but thank you again for help more information would also be appreciated.

12. MemX

MemX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    I'll try and find the Josh Ricci post when I'm on a computer, AVS kills this phone as it never seems to stop sending data!

Sub frequencies / under 80Hz apparently aren't (shouldn't be?!) easily locatable due to the long wavelengths, so FF and DF should apparently make no difference really :)

13. PuppetMaster120

PuppetMaster120

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks MemX please find it am sure it will definitely help me out with this haha :D