Need help deciding on new DVD player.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Alister Willis, Dec 30, 2001.

1. Alister Willis

Alister Willis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,
    Sorry for another thread asking for help on which DVD player someone should buy but...;)

My main reason for upgrading is due to the fact that my 3 year old Sony S-715 doesn't do DTS and there are some DVD's I own with DTS soundtracks and some I'd really like own and be able to hear in DTS.

Even though my current 32" W/S Toshiba TV is not capable of receiving Progressive Scan, I'd like the DVD player to have progressive scan capabilities as I am looking to upgrade the TV to something larger or a (cheapish) projector in the future (been looking at the Sony VPL-HS1) .

It doesn't need it to have DVD-A but I wouldn't mind if it did, but it needs to be able to be mod'ed for Region free either via chipping or handset hack.

My budget is around £1000 (though I would be happy to spend less) and I've currently narrowed down my choices to:

1) Pioneer DV-939A
    2) Sony 9000 ES
    3) Denon DVD-2800
    4) Toshiba SD-900E

All of the above have had fairly decent reviews in various publications, but has anyone had any personal experience with the players (good or bad) which might help me to decide betwen them?

Any suggestions for any other players that offer similar specs for about the same price that I have missed from the list or that are being released in the next couple of months?

Thanks for your time,

Alister Willis

2. jasper catt

jasper catt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alister

I don't have personnal experience of the players you've mention but have heard bad things said about the Denon.Maybe Denon have resolved these issues ?. I think you should also investigate Arcam's DV88 and add the progessive scan board .

3. Alister Willis

Alister Willis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers for the reply Jasper.

I hadn't heard of any problems with the Denon, anyone else know of these?

I'll check out the Arcam DV88.

Thanks again.

Alister.