Need help deciding - Denon/Yamaha

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Nemeliza, Oct 12, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Nemeliza

Nemeliza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As title, cant decide over the denon or the yamaha(s)

Denon AVR 2106

Yamaha DSP-AX757SE/Yamaha RX-V657 - Which is better?? Am i wrong in assuming that i can bi-amp with the yamahas like i can with the denon?

Thanks in advance.

2. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I'm wondering this too. Yamaha DSP-AX757SE or Denon AVR 2106?

3. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    The new denon is ment to be good, go for a demo to set your mind at ease but the yamaha is also considered very good. There may not be much in it and a choice of speakers could make or break either (altthough they are both known to have a neutral sound suited to pretty much any speaker)

4. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My personal taste would be the Yamaha (obviously) but as Gaz says, go and demo both, only you know what sounds good to you

5. Garincha

Garincha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know someone who did direct comparison and he told me Denon won by clear margin, but taste is also asked here

6. Nemeliza

Nemeliza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went for the yamaha in the end as i was offered it for a good price £350 :) and im very pleased with my decision, it sounds so much more defined than my old pioneer amp and i havent bothered bi-wiring this one.

For anyone still deciding, dont forget that the Denon is a reciever and the yamaha is a amplifier, so no built in tuner on the DSP AX757.

But still worth it!!!

7. Chick

Chick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Where did you get it for that price? I'm personally looking at getting the 657, which is a reciever.

8. grd2

grd2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was under the impression that the Yamaha RX-V757 was the receiver version of the AX757.

I believe Pixmania have the RX for £380.

9. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    The euro model has a tuner build in and is the rx the british supposidly superior version does not.

10. fudge.the.dog.

fudge.the.dog.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello nemeliza,could you please tell me where you got yamaha 757 for £350 and did it include post. thanks

11. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Does the Yamaha have a fan inside?

12. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
  13. Chick

Chick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    What's the difference between the 657 and 757?

14. Nemeliza

Nemeliza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup:

15. grd2

grd2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Doh! You think you have made a decision and someone shoots you down in flames.

So the receiver version (RX-V757) is not UK and is not as good as amp (AX757SE) version. So why do we have the RX-V657 which is meant to be pretty good?

Anyone know for sure if this is true or where I can find out?

16. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    I say supposidly because i don't know anyone thats done a side by side test, and it seems strange that they would make a better model for the UK which is a very small market comparied to oh, the rest of the world. Maybe there are some passionate UK Yamaha designers, who knows. I doubt you would be upset with the RX if you bought it and yamaha should cover any warranty issues, i guess they would rather you buy yamaha anyware than buy a different brand (pitty not all manufacturers have that point of view).

17. grd2

grd2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Differences between 657 and 757 are basically, power output, phono input and learning remote control on 757.

Ok, I've been on to Yamaha (very helpful they were) and you would appear to be correct gazbarber.

Apparently, the DSP-AX757SE is a UK version which has been "optimised" for us although it was considered that the difference beteween the DSP-AX757SE and the RX-V757 (which is not a UK model) would be quite small so should be OK for my tone deaf ears!!

18. karlak

karlak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    I am also in the same quandry about these 2 amps. However, having 'stupidly' getting rid of my previous component AV set-up, B&W 600's and Sony amp, to buy a Sony all in one system - DavS888 (I know :rolleyes: ). I would like to now go back and correct my previous error.

I know that this is not the speaker part of the forum, but could I please have some recommendations on suitable packages to go with these amps? I have a max budget of appx £1000 for the speakers, and would like to take adavantage of these amps stereo abilities as well. Does this mean that floorstanders at the front would be the way to go? Kef Q's AE evos etc.

All the guy in my local hi-fi shop wants me to do is buy his most expensive speakers, and keeps rubbishing the cheaper offerings -

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

19. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    I would stay clear of him really, you could test him by telling him that you have been set a budget of x, smaller than you currently have and see how he changes his tune, probably the most expensive at that budget i would suspect.

Tell us what you want to listen to, HC/Movies what type of each is your usual. Although no one can give you definitive answers about the best for you, we can help narrow it down so you can audition a few of the most suitible and select those.

20. karlak

karlak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Thanks for the advice.

The system will mainly be used for watching 'action' DVD's and also kid stuff, toy story/incredibles etc. Also for use with watching movies/programs from Sky.

I would like to use it for music as well - My tastes are fairly varied but tend to settle on the rock side of things - anything from Keane to Metallica really.

21. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    So you sound mlike your looking for a more lively system, looks for speakers that are descriped as being forward and get an amp like a denon or yamaha as they are somewhat neutral but great for movies and music (some say the yam is better over all and others the denon, but really it depends on the whole system). Generaly forward speakers are those with metal drivers and tweeters, like Mordent Short or Monitor Audio, although some people say that mssion are forward too.

Otherwise look for pioneer amp and more neutral speakers, these would have silk or material tweeters generaly, but as always the proff is in the puding and the listening.

What sort of budget are you looking at in total for speaker and amp ect, as there is no point having a lopsided system.

22. karlak

karlak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    More or less decided on the Yamaha, and will look at the Denon 1920 DVD. Speaker package in the £1000 budget area.

How about this for a solution ?

B&W 309 Floorstanders
    B&W M-1 Centre
    B&W M-1 Rear/Surrounds

REL Quake Subwoofer. (appx £350)

This would keep it nice and tidy, with a set of floorstanders for stereo as well.

23. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Try looking at the BK subs too, may give you better value for money. Unless your picking the M1 centre for style reasons you may be better of getting a full sized centre to match the floorstander, altohug i haven't heard the satelite and they are ment to be some of the best style like speakers, i think they would not be as good as a 'proper' centre. Of course get a demo to make sure really is the best advise.

24. Peppered

Peppered

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Yamaha RX v657 beat the Denon 2106 in a group test in What Hi Fi sound and vision.

Must trial one cos' I fancy one.