Quantcast

Need help deciding between these 2 TVs

Shamsher

Novice Member
The price is the same for both

Samsung PS59D6900

Or

LG60PM970S

Can anyone shed light on which is a better TV?

xit2050

IMHO, an LG plasma screen is about the worst television set you can buy.

Shamsher

Novice Member
Thanks for saving me the cash guys, i found an LED with a black luminance of 0.008 , Sony 60" R550 seems to get good reviews so I'm thinking of taking the plunge, good black levels plus no image burn. Will just have to check for flashlight and cloudiness before i take it home from the store since its LED

0.008 hmmm are you sure about that ? if you meant 0.08 then that isnt very good at all .. as far as im aware the very best mll from any led tv is about 0.04-0.05

fluxo

Distinguished Member
Nope its definitely Black luminance 0.008 as per cnet review.
Sony KDL-50R550A Review - Watch CNET's Video Review - page 2

Infact the new samsung F8000 is even lower at 0.006
In the test results box they have "Black luminance (0%)". Luminance is normally measured in cd/m^2 or fL. It is not obvious which units they have used. "%" would seem to indicate a percentage of something, but of what, precisely?

We know from other reviews that the Samsung F8000 LED doesn't get anywhere near 0.006 cd/m^2 (or even fL) in the ansi checkerboard test. It would be in the region of 0.045 cd/m^2. Only the OLEDs and plasmas go sub-0.01 cd/m^2 as far as I know.

Shamsher

Novice Member
Hmm thanks for the info, I'm afraid I'm not that knowledgable in the technical aspects so I didn't know about the % thing. But it still seems like a decent tv when you look at it dont you think?, ofcourse the smart tv aspect is very limited, but I think that can be overcome by attaching google tv or a media server or HTPC, please correct me if I'm wrong?

I think its just the way they measure it .. most led's will turn off the screen when shown full black image.. which is cheating as in real world that is not going to happen .. whats important is the ability for deep blacks to co-exist with whites (measured using ANSI checkerboard)
even that article described the blacks as good not great .. 0.008 is brilliant even by plasma standards never mind led ..
on hdtv test site they gave Sony's flagship series 9 model 0.041 cd/m2

ArmitageShanks

most led's will turn off the screen when shown full black image.. which is cheating as in real world that is not going to happen
My plasma does the same thing, so it appears not to be limited to just LEDs.

As a PS59D6900 owner for the last two years, I'm still very happy with it. Black levels are not all that great, it buzzed a lot initially and had the occasional brightness pop (both eventually disappeared for the most part), and it lacks a few apps I'd like (e.g. Netflix), but otherwise it's a fantastic set.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
My plasma does the same thing, so it appears not to be limited to just LEDs.

As a PS59D6900 owner for the last two years, I'm still very happy with it. Black levels are not all that great, it buzzed a lot initially and had the occasional brightness pop (both eventually disappeared for the most part), and it lacks a few apps I'd like (e.g. Netflix), but otherwise it's a fantastic set.
Same with my set:) looks really good now with no pops, black level isnt the best but its stable and uniform, pointless having deep blacks if they arent uniform IMO.

OP that is definitely wrong and likely with the set off.