Need help deciding between a Panasonic UB420 and Panasonic UB150

ByterNZ

Novice Member
I'm trying to urgently decide between purchasing a Panasonic UB150 vs UB420 because the Easter deals end today.

My TV is a Samsung Q95T, so no Dolby Vision. My soundbar is a Samsung Q950T connected via eARC. Therefore:

-Don't need UB450 or UB820, the Q95T won't support Dolby Vision anyways.
-Won't get the Sony PX700 because it only supports Dolby Vision, and not the HDR10+ that the Q95T does support.
-Don't need a dual HDMI output because don't need to pass anything through the Q950T soundbar, the eARC connection to the Q95T will handle getting the sound to my soundbar.
-Don't really need the streaming ability in any of those players, I'd be using my Q95T for all of that.
-My budget CERTAINLY does not extend to getting the UB9000, despite what a certain store tried to pressure me into.

So the only thing I'm really trying to understand is the HCX processor in the UB420 and what advantages that would give me over the UB150. And no one seems to understand what it would do for me. And there are no stores with a UB420 setup. There's a store with a UB820, but they'll keep trying to pressure me into the UB9000.

I've got a bunch of Bluray disks already, and I'll get the odd 4K disk (especially those that support HDR10+), but if that HCX support could make my existing Blurays look much better, that would be a big bonus.

Thanks for any quick help you can give me.

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
I'm trying to urgently decide between purchasing a Panasonic UB150 vs UB420 because the Easter deals end today.

My TV is a Samsung Q95T, so no Dolby Vision. My soundbar is a Samsung Q950T connected via eARC. Therefore:

-Don't need UB450 or UB820, the Q95T won't support Dolby Vision anyways.
-Won't get the Sony PX700 because it only supports Dolby Vision, and not the HDR10+ that the Q95T does support.
-Don't need a dual HDMI output because don't need to pass anything through the Q950T soundbar, the eARC connection to the Q95T will handle getting the sound to my soundbar.
-Don't really need the streaming ability in any of those players, I'd be using my Q95T for all of that.
-My budget CERTAINLY does not extend to getting the UB9000, despite what a certain store tried to pressure me into.

So the only thing I'm really trying to understand is the HCX processor in the UB420 and what advantages that would give me over the UB150. And no one seems to understand what it would do for me. And there are no stores with a UB420 setup. There's a store with a UB820, but they'll keep trying to pressure me into the UB9000.

I've got a bunch of Bluray disks already, and I'll get the odd 4K disk (especially those that support HDR10+), but if that HCX support could make my existing Blurays look much better, that would be a big bonus.

Thanks for any quick help you can give me.
UB420
According to this review your eARC route will not give you the best sound available Bad news for audiophiles: the Q95T doesn’t support Dolby Atmos or DTS decoding Samsung Q95T/Q90T (QE55Q95T) review: The best 4K QLED gaming TV
If so, a dual HDMI output player would be better.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom