Need help deciding atmos/auro3D height speakers

HTgnorant

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there.

I'm in the process of upgrading my 5.1 Mission speakers setup, with 4 addicional height front/rear speakers for atmos/auro3D.
It's an 8' (2,4meters) high ceiling and there is no possibility of in ceiling speakers.

Room is 20' x 13,8' (6,3 x 4,2 meters) dedicated HT.
Receiver: Marantz 7015
Use: streaming platforms only.

I,m thorne between this two models:

SVS Prime Elevation:
  • Rated bandwidth: 55 Hz-25 kHz (±3 dB)
  • Nominal impedance: 8 ohms.
  • Sensitivity: 87 dB (2.83V @ 1 meter full-space, 300-3kHz)
  • Recommended amplifier power: 20-150 watts.
  • Tweeter-to-woofer crossover: 2.5 kHz (12 dB/octave slopes)
  • 1" Aluminum Dome tweeter
  • 4,5" midrange drive
DALI Fazon Sat:

• Die cast aluminum enclosure (is this better? less weight maybe?)
  • Frequency range: 86Hz - 25kHz (±3 dB)
  • Nominal impedance: 6 ohms.
  • Sensitivity: 86 dB (2.83V @ 1 meter)
  • recomended amplifier power: 20 - 120W
  • Crossover frequencies: 1,8kHz
  • 28mm/1,1" soft dome tweeter
  • 4,5" mid/woofer drive
The Dali's are more elegant and easier to blend and position with the included ball style rotating support. They are smaller but I believe much thinner due to the aluminum enclosure. They seem to be a popular choice in germany... what ever that means.

The question is, based on technical specs and the sound quality, wich should I choose?

What about Dali Alteco C-1? Not as bulky as SVS and easy to wall mount due to keyholes for screws. Should be also fairly cheap.

Although for dedicated HT room i would go more for performance in mind over looks, but perhaps you think different.

0bbae698-1c8c-418a-b13a-383bae1e584a-jpeg.1132051

You don't need to use trapezoid shaped speakers, bookshelf will be fine.

What about using your mission bookshelf speakers as height then upgrade the now empty spaces?

I'm using q acoustics 3010i X two pair, they're cheaper than Atmos speakers,.and wider frequency response,.plus for rear heights would need to angle trapezoid speakers down and forward anyway.

I can't see the point of spending £1000 / pair on Atmos speakers when it's a subtle effect anyway.

As for that b&w and Dali system above, I'd say the Dali outclass the b&w so bit of a wired setup.

Hey mate I’m tossing up these two, and on the dimensions specs the Dalis are bigger?? Am I missing something?

Hah, i could swear it was other way around seeing ton of pictures of both over the years. Also seeing the better bass response on the SVS.. Prime Elevations has much higher sensitivity and higher power handling so for dedicated HT room they would be more ideal.

The numbers on the SVS look better but they are more expensive than the Dali fazon Sat. The seller told me that between the fazon sat and the Alteco C-1, the fazon sounds better. He sells both but says that it installs the FAzon Sats on the majority of the home cinemas they build. Well, the alteco c-1 costs almost half the price of the fazon.

I'm looking to a 7.2.4 setup, so I need 4 speakers. Only have two mission bookshelfs. I'm trying also the second hand market but no luck yet.

The seller told me that between the fazon sat and the Alteco C-1, the fazon sounds better.
Yeh cool. Interesting to know, but as you say I guess the price tells that story. Also take up less real estate, can rotate etc with the wall mount, and are more sensitive by 3 dB. Just a matter of whether to spend double!

I'm totallyh blown away by the 1961s if they are an option. Tiny form factor, gigantic soundstage, lovely detail.

I'm totallyh blown away by the 1961s if they are an option. Tiny form factor, gigantic soundstage, lovely detail.
Thanks, yeh I’d love to go those but I have an all-white brief to fill…and unfortunately Arendal say they haven’t been able to get the necessary SQ from white grille material they’ve tested….

Thanks, yeh I’d love to go those but I have an all-white brief to fill…and unfortunately Arendal say they haven’t been able to get the necessary SQ from white grille material they’ve tested….

I'd just get the grilles reclothed, won't be that expensive.

I'm using white speakers as heights but the grills are grey

Wait, what? Grille colour affects the sound quality? (Or well, it is hard to make white grilles with good SQ?). How? Is that why so often white speakers have black grilles?

Wait, what? Grille colour affects the sound quality? (Or well, it is hard to make white grilles with good SQ?). How? Is that why so often white speakers have black grilles?
Because commercially available products care more about looks than function and need to keep profits up and retailers happy with options

Or they just make the tweeter white lol

I'm happy with my 3010i sometimes listen to them in stereo, nice little speakers and even when set to lower crossover (lowest is 35hz) and subwoofer set to none, decent amount of

Maybe I should have got the 3020i as bigger driver slightly more efficient but they're a bit deeper.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom