Need Help!! DCX2496 Crossover or not to crossover??

S

shandyboy04

Ok here goes, I'm a newbie to the whole audio processing arena and need some help please.....

I've got a small'ish PA system around 2.5k consisting of two sub/bass cabinets and two top cabinets (mid-high), the PA rig is mainly used for mobile DJ work and hire out to parties etc...

The current connections are like this:

mixer stereo L & R output to L & R input of power amp.

Power amp L & R speakon outputs to L & R sub cabinets.

(L & R sub cabinets have built in crossover)

speakon outputs from L & R sub cabinets go up to mid-tops

I've known for some time that the rig just doesn't sound right and the amp is underpowered as I've done the calculations....

So my theory is this....

I'm going to invest in two new amps which will be matched to the power rating of the cabinets, one amp driving the two bass cabs, the other driving the mid-highs. I know that I can't just go ahead and cable things together in a basic fashion and will need some sort of crossover to make everything sound the way it should.... I also hire out this small rig and wan't to be able to control other DJ's pushing the system too far and causing damage....

Am I right in stating that the behringer dcx2496 will do everything I need?? I've got a friend who works as a sound engineer and after speaking with him I'd originally pitched the idea of three separate modules, mixer connected to equalizer connected to compressor connected to crossover connected to amps, but he suggests investing in the one piece of kit and the digital style unit can be locked during performances thus stopping non-techies tampering with the setup once the event is underway...

He said I would need to open up the bass cabinets and remove the current crossovers built inside and run the cabling straight from speakon connector to the 18" drivers. this isn't a problem but is it the correct thing to do?

Also i've looked inside the mid-highs and again there's a simple crossover in there for dividing up the signal between the main driver and horn tweeter. I'm guessing this remains in place??

any help would be greatly appreciated....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom