1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help converting cinefilms to digital video camera

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by matmum, Nov 3, 2003.

1. matmum

matmum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

i have been trying to convert my cinefilms (super 8 and regular) to my sony digital camcorder (DCRPC100E) - i have got one of those box converters where the camera lens goes in one side and the projector in the other and it reflects with a mirror inside it-however while trying to record the cinefilm i get a horrible dark to bright effect ( i also tried to film the cinefilm directly on the wall and got the same effect) - i just wondered if anyone knows how to get rid of this.

cheers :)

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem occurs because cine film runs at 24 frames per sec while video runs at 25 fps, you need to use a projector with variable speed and run it slightly faster than normal in order to synchronise the two frame rates, it does mean the video pictures run slightly faster but it is hardly noticable and better than the brightness cycle or in some cases 'flickering'

3. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Matmum,
    Not an answer I'm afraid - but a question....
    where did you get the cine convertor thing from please....
    I've been looking for one so that I can do the same....
    Thanks.

4. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can obtain one from www.keene.co.uk when you get to the 'products' page enter H3018 in the search box. This is the deluxe version which also allows you to video photographs, they used to do a simpler cheaper version but I can't find it in their catalogue at the moment. Might be worth ringing them on 0870 990 9000 to see if they have any of the cheaper ones left, they'll also send you a very useful free catalogue full of all sorts of interestig video and audio things

5. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Perfect.... :clap:

Thanks Beejaycee... don't know why I haven't asked on here before.... :blush:

6. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Perfect.... :clap:

Thanks Beejaycee... don't know why I haven't asked on here before.... :blush:

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Isn't cine 18fps?

You have to do the cine-pal equivalent of cinema-NTSC pulldown

it is something scarey like

AAABBBCCCDDDEEEFFF and I think needs professional kit unles you want to scan a frame, convert to 720x576 bitmap - then drag into an editing package.

(This is possible just very slow)

8. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Silent cine films run at 18 fps but as far as I know most sound 8mm cine cameras/projectors run at 24 fps. Sorry matmum I just assumed sound because you said you were only witnessing a dark to bright affect, with silent films running at 18 fps you usually get very pronounced flickering. If you are transferring silent video then you still need to run the projector as near as possible to 25 fps and then slow the video down using a pc based video editing package such as Ulead VideoStudio 7.

9. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    I had a the same problem - strobing. Fortunately my friend has a variable speed cine projector, so I just varied the speed until the strobing went away.

Gary.