Need help connecting Wii via HDMI to Denon AVR-X3700H

blizzor

Novice Member
Need help connecting Wii via HDMI to Denon AVR-X3700H. I am using a Wii2HDMI converter. All I get is a black screen that says DENON. I tried connecting the Wii with HDMI converter directly to the Samsung QN65Q8DTA and it works fine with both video and audio. I tried both the game and aux HDMI ports on the Denon with no success. Any suggestions would be great.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
A component cable is the way forward if your Denon supports this. Its the highest native resolution supported by the Wii and looks very good.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The X3700 has integral analogue to HDMI conversion capabilities so there's no need to use the intermediary HDMI convertor. Simply connect the Wii's analogue video output to the corrrecponding inputs on the AV receiver and then configure the AV receiver to convert the signal.

by default 2021-08-28 at 20.28.45.png

The Wii convertor ia basically surplus to requiremenys on this instance and with thos model of receiver.

It should be noted that when component video signals are used, only 480i and 576i signals will be converted to HDMI. Ensure that the Wii's output is set to
480i/576i.

by default 2021-08-28 at 20.32.46.png

Last edited:

blizzor

Novice Member
The X3700 has integral analogue to HDMI conversion capabilities so there's no need to use the intermediary HDMI convertor. Simply connect the Wii's analogue video output to the corrrecponding inputs on the AV receiver and then configure the AV receiver to convert the signal.

View attachment 1561989

The Wii convertor ia basically surplus to requiremenys on this instance and with thos model of receiver.

It should be noted that when component video signals are used, only 480i and 576i signals will be converted to HDMI. Ensure that the Wii's output is set to
480i/576i.

View attachment 1561990
Thanks to all for you help! As a rookie, the feedback is greatly appreciated.
@dante01 I have a feeling that my problem lies somewhere in trying to understand your description. My input options on the receiver are HDMI game, HDMI aux, component DVD, and component video player. With the HDMI adaptor and the two HDMI inputs, there is no signal. With the both component options, I get sound just fine, but no video. After your input, I switched the input back from 480p to 480i and still nothing. I’m guessing there is something about the X3700H video processing that I am not grasping.

dante01

Distinguished Member
You'd need to reassign the associated sources so that the AV receiver looks to the component associated component inputs you've used to connect the Wii for the video signal as opposed to the receiver automatically look at the associated HDMI input. The default would be for the AV receiver to use HDMI as opposed to lokking at the component video inputs.

Both the component and the composite video inputs are assignable so you'd need to assign whichever ever of these you've used for the Wii to the game source if wanting to use the game source as the source you'd be accessing the Wii via. The input you are using to access the associated audio should also be assigned to the same source name as the video.

There's a section in the manual entitled INPUT ASSIGN which will go over this.

Last edited:

blizzor

Novice Member
You are a genius!! That worked. Thanks so much for the help and my kids thank you. I made the mistake of buying a receiver and Harmony remote from Geek Squad and paying them to set it up. They only succeeded in connecting the TV leaving me to do the rest. This is such an awesome community, thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom