• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Need help connecting Smart TV, Cable & AVR

Catao

Novice Member
I currently have my Cable Box, and Apple TV connected via HDMI cables to my AVR. I have my Smart HDTV connected to the HDMI (ARC) port on my AVR. The TV speakers are turned off, so that all of the sound comes from my surround speakers. With this set up I have run into the following issues.
  1. No sound can be heard when using an app (netflix) in the Smart TV. If the cable box is on, sound still comes from there. If it's off, there is no sound at all. I plugged in an optical cable and it worked fine, but I'd rather just have the one HDMI cable if possible.
  2. When I'm watching a recorded show from the cable box and rewind/fast forward sometimes the sound disappears. To get it to come back on, I have to switch the audio source from "cable" to something else and back to "cable."
I appreciate your feedback.

Here is what I'm working with: LG60UF7700, Denon AVR-X3200w, Motorola Cable Box, Apple TV

Thanks

Sorry if this is obvious but do you have ARC turned on on the AVR by default its off.

Having said that i have briefly check the specs on the TV and cant find a reference to supporting ARC, does it have a HDMI port that says ARC on it

Catao

Novice Member
Hi Aclass,
Yes, the ARC is turned on. The TV has ARC as well, it's HDMI port 2. I've done some searches and it looks like numerous people have the same question I do, but I've never seen a solution. Is it possible to just have the 1 HDMI cable?

Thanks

Yes it should be.

The other thing you will need to do is when you want Netflix is switch the source on the aVR to TV (or something similar) sorry don't know what it is on that aVR

Catao

Novice Member
I did try that and it worked, but it required an additional cable since it is another source. Unless I'm missing something?

Thanks

There should just be one cable from HDMI (arc) on aVR to HDMI arc on the TV

However when using a smart tv function you will need to change the source on the aVR

Catao

Novice Member
Thank you for the responses. I was finally able to get it working. There is a setting in the TV sound menu called "simplink" that needs to be turned on in order for ARC to function. There is roughly a 1-2 second delay before the sound comes on, but it works.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom