Need Help - Connecting Panny PWD8 to Sky+

fronesis

Standard Member
Reaction score
So I'm selling my Panny PWD8 to a mate of mine. The panel has the standard VGA input along with one board that is a single BNC video input, and I have an adaptor so that it takes a 'standard yellow video' (I never know what to call this, but it's a single 'phono' or RCA cable - referred to as simply 'video out' in my Panasonic user manual.)

As far as I can tell, Sky+ has all sorts of component and Scart video out, along with S video.

Is there a cable I can buy to make this work? I'd very much like to make this work without buying another board for the panel!

Really appreciate any help - thanks!

Hi

SCART > VGA is the best way on those panels.

You could buy a Syncblaster cable but I've done it many times without any problem by simply connecting the SCART signals directly to the VGA port.

If you are into a bit of hacking, just grab an old VGA cable and cut one end off. Fit a SCART plug making sure you wire the HSync pin to the Composite Video Out on the Sky box.

Steve

Cheers, Steve! Really kind of you to reply so quickly.

2 follow-ups, if you don't mind!

1. Where's the best place to buy SCART to VGA?

2. I'm OK with a bit of hacking, actually. But can you say just a bit more about how the SCART plug is fitted to the VGA cable? I don't quite follow the bit about the hsync pin and the composite video on the sky box...

thanks again...

1) I've never bought one - hard to guarantee it will be wired as you need it. Keene Electronics almost certainly sell them.

2) Wiring:-

VGA : DESCRIPTION : SCART

8 : Blue Ground : 5
3 : Blue : 7
7 : Green Ground : 9
2 : Green : 11
6 : Red Ground : 13
1 : Red : 15
10 : Sync Ground :17
13: Sync : 19

Brilliant.

Looks like Keene and Maplins both only sell the syncblasters. But there are a ton of SCART>VGA on ebay, and they look like they are just someone wiring things up as you've described below. I'm checking with one of the sellers to confirm, but he seems to sell a lot of them with good feedback.

I used to use JSTECH box to do this. Not sure how that compares to Steves much cheaper cable solution. I've only just stopped using mine when I upgraded to a new display.

You should be able to buy a scart input board for your display. You could try posting a wanted ad for a secondhand one:)

Hi

From the 7 series onwards, the VGA input has accepted composite sync without a Syncblaster or JS Converter.

I wouldn't really recommend the SCART board - it's very poor picture quality compared with going in via the VGA socket (fuzzy would be the best way to describe it). The only advantage is the auto aspect ratio switching.

Steve

Hi

From the 7 series onwards, the VGA input has accepted composite sync without a Syncblaster or JS Converter.

I wouldn't really recommend the SCART board - it's very poor picture quality compared with going in via the VGA socket (fuzzy would be the best way to describe it). The only advantage is the auto aspect ratio switching.

Steve

Steve is spot on with that. I had a scart board and the JS TECH box (ie VGA)was a better picture with some sources.

I take this to mean that the basic cable solution should work fine for my PWD8. Right?

So I'm selling my Panny PWD8 to a mate of mine. The panel has the standard VGA input along with one board that is a single BNC video input, and I have an adaptor so that it takes a 'standard yellow video' (I never know what to call this, but it's a single 'phono' or RCA cable - referred to as simply 'video out' in my Panasonic user manual.)

Composite

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom