Need help connecting my Audigy to my Sony STR-VA555

Belgarath

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to connect my SB Audigy to my Sony receiver, so I can watch movies on my TV and hear the sound through my 5.1 speaker setup and to hear the sound of games through the speakers.
I did some research and found that I can either use the single digital output of my SB Audigy or the 3 analogue outputs.

The digital output will provide an AC-3 stream to the Sony, but only if the movie has a Dolby Digital sound track, otherwise only the 2 front-speakers are driven.
Furthermore, the sound in games will only be output to the 2 front-speakers, even if the game supports a 5.1 speaker-setup (ie. Quake3, Half-Life, IL-2 Sturmovik...).

So digital is not really an option.

Creative Labs told me that it is possible, but only if I use the 3 analogue outputs on the Audigy.
However, I do not really know which channels are ouput on which connector and would appreciate some help with this.
I also don't know what kind of 3.5mm connectors to use in the Audigy (2, 3 or 4 poles).

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks, Belgarath

Welcome,

Can't help with your problem, but nice web site ;)

Some interesting stuff there.

Thanx.

Originally posted by Belgarath

Creative Labs told me that it is possible, but only if I use the 3 analogue outputs on the Audigy.
However, I do not really know which channels are ouput on which connector and would appreciate some help with this.
I also don't know what kind of 3.5mm connectors to use in the Audigy (2, 3 or 4 poles).

The definitive answer for this can be found in the support section of soundblaster.com ,
but if I remember the three connectors are 2 pole minijacks - line out (front left/front right), rear out (rear left/rear right) and ana/digi out (centre/subwoofer). This gives the analogue 5.1 outputs.

I use an Audigy in my HTPC with Theatertek and powerDVD. To connect the diagital audio out I use a three way 3.5 mm jack plugged into the topmost (yellow or orange connector).

I use one of those adapter leads that has a the 3.5MM jack at one end an left and right phonos at the other. The digital audio out is on the white or left one.

You also need to make sure that the sound is set correctly for this to work. You need to enable the SPDIF and set the card to NOT decode Dolby Digital (otherwise it will continue to output DD decoded analogue signals).

Also set your DVD palyer software to SPDIF out. I have no problems with DTS or DD.

Hope this helps
John

Xeonic,
Thanks for the solution, I'll start soldering right away.
Just to clarify things, shouldn't the 3.5 mini-jacks be 3-pole?
One for left, one for right and a third for ground?

Johnm60,
In your setup, I believe you are not able to hear 5.1 sound from games, because games don't ouput an AC-3 stream, but just 5.1 analogue signals.
I want to be able to play games too.

Belgarath

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom