• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Need Help Confused

ashley daniels

Standard Member
this may seem like a dumb question but i am looking at a home cinema system jvc th-l1 and this is the spec
  • 5.1ch Surround Media System with 360W High Power
  • Variety of Terminals for Multi-Channel/Stereo Sources
  • 1080p Pass-Through (HDMI) for HD Source
  • Connection for iPod (Cable and Stand included)
  • USB Host (2.0 Full-Speed)
  • Digital Direct Progressive Scan Output
  • Digital Surround Mode for 2ch Sound: Dolby Pro Logic II (Movie/Music)/All Channel Stereo/Stadium/Game
  • 5 Cubic Wall-Mountable Satellite Speakers (Front/Centre/Surround)
  • 16cm Passive Subwoofer
  • Multi-Brand Remote Control (TV/DVD)
  • Dolby Digital/DTS/Dolby Pro Logic II Decoders
  • 360W Total Power
  • Plays MP3/WMA/WAV/JPEG, and MPEG-4 ASF/-2/-1 (USB)
  • Progressive Scan Output
  • HDMI Input (x2: 1080p Pass-Through) and Output
  • USB Host
  • Terminal for iPod (Supports Audio and Video)
  • Component Video Input (x2) and Output
  • Digital Audio Input (Optical: x2 / Coaxial: x1)
my question is do you have to use a optical lead to get sound as my xbox 360 doesnt have one i have a 32" samsung with 3hdmi ports is there anyway i can get the image from the tv and the sound from the system without an optical lead going from the cinema system to the 360 because as i stated the xbox360 doesn't have one

sorry if this question seems stupid but i am not clued up on cinema systems

thanks to all usefull posts

djkay1982

Established Member
cos it has that HDMI pass through you can connect your xbox to your amp via HDMI lead, and have 1 HDMI lead running from AMP to TV.

you can have multiple devices (ie Sky box, Blu ray player) connected to your AMP via HDMI lead and only 1 HDMI lead going from your amp to your TV. and it will carry the sound over.

hope that helps mate

ashley daniels

Standard Member
thanks for the quick reply one futher question will the sound and image be of poor quality because i have heard diffrent anwsers to the question hope you can clear this up as im looking to buy this system if it meets my needs both my xbox 360 and ps3 are HDMI connected and i presume i can connect my NTL box using the scart as it is not a HD box

thank you

Last edited:

djkay1982

Established Member
explain a bit more as im not sure i understand properly? regarding the sound/PQ? you mean becuase your running your devices through the amp and not direct to the TV will the picture and sound suffer?

if thats what you mean, then no it shouldn't do, but i have no experience with the kit your about to buy, i have the sony HGDDW800, and i had no problems with audio/PQ running all my stuff through that.

if your amp has a scart socket on the back, then you should be able to run the NTL box through it fine also, but you will probably need to run a scart from amp to TV also.

hope that helps mate

ashley daniels

Standard Member
yh you pretty much cleared it up.

it was as i said i have read many diffrent reviews some saying using HMDI passthrough reduces the quality of the picture and sound but said the sound can be recoverd by a optical lead

thanks for the advice going to take the plung when i get my tax return and buy the system will let you know how it goes m8

djkay1982

Established Member
well i experienced no loss of sound or PQ with mine, and in theory, you should only see an improvement of sound quality, as your TV standard speakers will be pretty poor (though i dont know what TV you have) but im betting the SS kit will have better ones.

also with using HDMI as your choice of connection, your going to get getting pretty much the best connection you can get there.

again i have no experience of the surround sound kit your purchasing so cannot gaurantee anything i have said.

have you concidered this kit?

Sony HT-DDWG800 HOME CINEMA SYSTEM review cheap prices HT-DDWG800 HOME CINEMA SYSTEM Sony best buy discount online uk shop

this one has been very popular on avforums, one i bought and very happy with it

ashley daniels

Standard Member
will bare that in mind when i buy it i have read some bad reviews on it so far and as u said many gd reviews by av forum users so i will probs pay the extra depending on my cash as i only work part time between college thanks again

davepuma

Distinguished Member
my question is do you have to use a optical lead to get sound as my xbox 360 doesnt have one i have a 32" samsung with 3hdmi ports is there anyway i can get the image from the tv and the sound from the system without an optical lead going from the cinema system to the 360 because as i stated the xbox360 doesn't have one

Re. the Xbox 360, there is a sticky post on HDMI/Optical in the Xbox 360 sub forum that explains it all. LINK. The HDMI connectors on that JVC system are passthrough and therefore leave audio untouched. You are therefore looking to optical to get true discrete 5.1 m/chan audio from the Xbox.

djkay1982

Established Member
i've just had a scan at that post dave, i get 5.1 output through my Xbox 360 via HDMI :confused: connected to Sony HT DWWG800

is it just some xbox's or is it that the Xbox output 5.1 via HDMI, but it just depends on your amp?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
i've just had a scan at that post dave, i get 5.1 output through my Xbox 360 via HDMI :confused: connected to Sony HT DWWG800

is it just some xbox's or is it that the Xbox output 5.1 via HDMI, but it just depends on your amp?

You do, as your amp can process audio over HDMI. The OP's home cinema system can't. The HDMI connections on the OP's home cinema system are simply passthrough only.

The Xbox 360 can bitstream DD5.1 over both optical and HDMI. This applies to all HDMI equipped Xbox 360's.

The amp is the difference here.

djkay1982

Established Member
ah sound, the way i read it i thought it meant the 360 couldn't do 5.1

cheers for that bud:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom