1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help!! Concerns about High Definition on Panasonic TH42PE30

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by PaulFreeman, Jan 13, 2005.

1. PaulFreeman

PaulFreeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having concerns about this High Definition announcement.
    I have been planning to buy the Panasonic TH42PE30 Viera, especially since the price has dropped dramatically.
    But it is not High Definition capable.
    Will this have a great affect on its future?
    Will High Definition come into play very quickly?
    Is the Televeision worth getting or should i wait for panasonic to release a new HD capable model (do you think they will?)
    Sorry to ask so many questions, but rather do that than spend a few grand on a tv which will soon be obselete!
    Thank you for any help

2. Mattyboy_W

Mattyboy_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My understanding is the 42PE30 won't work with Sky HDTV because it doesn't have an HDMI or DVI connection (HDCP compliant) and Sky have announced that it will only be available over these connections. First Sky HDTV should be the 2006 World Cup but it's anyone's guess how much it will cost. It maybe cheaper to buy tickets to the matches !!!.

3. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    get a Pioneer PDP435XDE , I am getting one, possibly the best screen out there, only heard good reports/reviews and is future proof ;)

heres the info...
    · Future-Ready for High Definition TV
    · New Direct Colour Filter
    · Reproduction of 7 Billion Colours
    · Digital Terrestrial & Analogue Tuner
    · EPG for Easy Selection of Digital TV Programmes
    · 1024 X 768 Pixels Resolution
    · 1100cd/m2 Brightness
    · 1200:1 Contrast Ratio
    · More than 160 Degrees Horizontal & Vertical Viewing Angles
    · Multi Screen Modes / PIP / Dual Screen Display
    · Colour Management / Natural Enhancer / Digital Flicker Free
    · 2100 Pages Teletext Memory

get it here for only £2740....

http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    pe30 will work fine for 20 years HD will very slowly move into UK and will cost lots per month for first 5 years.......PE30 is a great TV dont let HD compatibility put you off unless you are a must have kinda of person IT WILL STILL WORK

5. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Quite right to point out that it will still work... HD is coming soon (ish), but it will only sit alongside SD for some time to come. It's going to be a while before we have any HD exclusive content / broadcasts, let alone the demise of SD.

But as is usually the case, people are still too focused on talking exclusively about Sky HD, when HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are both entering market in similar timeframes. Whilst we haven't had much useful information about HD-DVD/Blu-Ray, there is good reason to think it will have the same HDCP restrictions, and it's more than just possible that it will have the same resolution / frequency concerns.

IMHO, HD-DVD / Blu-Ray should be getting more attention - unlike a TV broadcast, the discs you buy will be with you and watched over a long period of time. As our screens get larger and larger over time, having high resolution content is going to become more important. Personally, I would rather be collecting HD content sooner, not later.

6. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    how do you know that :confused:

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Cause Sky a premium service are the only broadcaster that have announced it Not on Cable/FV/Terrestrial.............. it will be a pay £XX per months option... even if every member of this forum signed up on day one that wouldn't be 1% of Sky subs or .5% of households.................. digital is still at low penertration......... in some areas....... first 5 years is guesstimate by then Sky+ will probably be standard and HD will have come down in relative cost, might have FV platform (or another PAY service) the number of incompatible displays are HUGE...... might as well call it Pioneer plasma HDTV for next 6 months.....

8. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I debated about the HD plasma question too but I loved the Panasonic TH42PE30 too much and went for that. I am not the type of person who has to have the latest technology as soon as it is out. I love technology and will be involved in HD as soon as it becomes an everyday affordable proposition but in the meantime I will sit back and enjoy my PE30 in all its glory.

9. ajbeech

ajbeech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Must be said I'm of a similar view to you Wicket. I'm going to purchase a Plasma in Feb and have just started looking at the options. I really like the 42" Viera, Sony P42XS1 and Hitachi 42PD5200. If I'm in future proof mode, then I should plumb for the 'tachi as it does have a DVI socket, but I cant get my head round those UGLY clip-on speakers. OK, so I do have an A/V amp, but I'd prefer a plasma with built in speakers for everyday use.
    I've also been close to dismissing the Panny and Sony due to the lack of digital inputs, but having seen all three in action, I must say that they all look bloody good with DVD now.

Personally, I cant see myself getting Sky HDTV for some time - not prepared to pay them any more dough, so perhaps the Panny or Sony is the right way decision for me.....

10. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41

Have you not looked at the Pioneer PDP435XDE ? I myself am soon getting a plasma and am going to plump for this one, I have seen it in the flesh and was very impressed also the specs and options on this baby are superb, plus it looks nice and also aint that expensive with the bonus of being 'future proof' in terms on HD. take a look ;)