• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Need help choosing subs!

BassMachine

Standard Member
Hey all, I'm quite a novice to buy sub woofers. I want one cheap but of good quality. I am still in my teens so cannot afford much due to no jobs :p I want the best quality i can get for money really. £50 tops but i want a sub that will shake your body. Its quite demanding yes but that is my wish. I love a sub that you can feel pump through your body. Any help or suggestions is highly appreciated. NOTE: This sub woofer will be used on my PC.
Thanks,

roaduck

Hey all, I'm quite a novice to buy sub woofers. I want one cheap but of good quality. I am still in my teens so cannot afford much due to no jobs :p I want the best quality i can get for money really. £50 tops but i want a sub that will shake your body. Its quite demanding yes but that is my wish. I love a sub that you can feel pump through your body. Any help or suggestions is highly appreciated. NOTE: This sub woofer will be used on my PC.
Thanks,

Hello there BassMachine - for fifty quid you cannot buy a hi-fi sub or really a decent desktop pc sub new at least.

I think you would just have to check the classifieds or buy a cheapie PC 2.1 system.If you could save up a bit more; say to a £100 - that would be the minimum for a home sub or good desktop system.

Acoustic Energy AEGO M 2.1 System - Black RRP £150 | eBay UK

The above AE setup is okay for sound quality and volume but it's not going to shake your body.

A large powerful sub costing £400-£500 minimum can just about shake your body!

These next ones are boom and tizz and are quantity (distorted one-note bass) rather than quality for £56, £39, £58, £59, £45 etc.

Xenta XForce 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers - 80W RMS with | eBay UK

5.1 HOME CINEMA SURROUND SOUND SPEAKER SYSTEM 105W RMS | eBay UK

Philips 5.1 Multimedia Surround Home System Speakers | eBay UK

5.1 SPEAKERS 80W ACTIVE SYSTEM + CINEMA SOUND SUBWOOFER | eBay UK

Logitech Z523 360 Degree Speaker System with Subwoofer | eBay UK

If you had the space and the requisite £170 or £150 these ones below might shake your body but it's not subtle refined bass.

Ibiza Cube 15" 800W Active Bass Bin Sub Woofer Speaker | eBay UK

18" Active Subwoofer 1000w | eBay UK

Have a look at this post below please BassMachine to get a sub that won't just give you a headache:)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/subwoofers-tactile-transducers/1448956-sub-suggestions-please.html#post14565390

BassMachine

Standard Member
Hey roaduck, thanks for the reply. I kinda figured that i wouldn't get away with that ammount. I will most probably go for a 5.1 system. I found one i quite like, can you tell me if its a good buy? 5.1 Surround Sound Home Cinema System With Remote | eBay UK

thanks again for your help, was really usefull and especially the links.

Oh and just found what could be a good deal, i would like an expirienced persons opinion though. I just found a 500W Bass sub woofer. Heres the link:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160586160259

Last edited:

roaduck

Hey roaduck, thanks for the reply. I kinda figured that i wouldn't get away with that ammount. I will most probably go for a 5.1 system. I found one i quite like, can you tell me if its a good buy? 5.1 Surround Sound Home Cinema System With Remote | eBay UK

thanks again for your help, was really usefull and especially the links.

Oh and just found what could be a good deal, i would like an expirienced persons opinion though. I just found a 500W Bass sub woofer. Heres the link:Ex Display 15" Sub Bass Speaker 500w Woofer DJ Disco | eBay UK

You're most welcome BassMachine - cheers - I'm afraid that top one ;the 35 quid one - I wouldn't even have that plumbed into my lavatory; it would sound dire with a tidgy 'woofer' and an amp the size of a matchbox.

The second one is just passive - it has no internal amp.

If you tried to power that one up with your desktop pc thing - it would sound like a fly with asthma - no juice!

I realise you're gagging for a sub but personally I'd save up, listen on 'phones for a few months and get somat decent, musical and lively that you'd be more happy with in the longer term.

If you don't believe me go and audition some similar systems in shops and then ask yourself 'Can I sit in front of this effort gaming for hours?' Or What?

I know that cheap 'n cheerful desktop 2.1/5.1 systems are a waste of money and budget Public Address 'subs' are not meant to be sat on top of; they're meant for distance - not nearfield - at low volumes they're even worse - mushy peas upper bass with no real low stuff.

The distortion will eventually annoy you - I know because I've had a reggae carnival bass-bin stack in my living room and I had to get rid.Initially exciting; then tiring.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom