1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help choosing some new fronts - 6 1/2 dia

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by RobertP, Jan 28, 2003.

1. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have a Kenwood Z838W mp3 head unit ( :D gapless mp3 playback :D ) in my Toyota Camry. At the moment i have the factory speakers running from it. fronts are 6 1/2 with (factory original) tweeters mounted at the door mirror positions. In the rear parcel shelf are the original 6 x 9 's.

I want to improve the midrange clarity and get a bit more 'life' into the sound. If at all possible i want to avoid adding amps. the 50w x 4 from the kenwood must be enough? I'm not into earthquakes on wheels!

The dealer where I got the Kenwood said that 'components' must have an amp to drive them and offered me some cheap (£40)Kenwood 2 way 6 1/2's for the doors. Is that really the best I can do without an amp?
    The factory speakers aren't *that* bad... but i can tell the sound could be cleaner. Any thoughts?

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I realise you don't want to hear this but you really should consider an amp.The 50w figure is at high thd levels and it is max peak.The true rms figure will be around 12-15w.Is the thought of installing an amp putting you off ? There is little to be gained fitting better speakers to run them of the hu (imho as i'm sure not everyone will agree) :)

3. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In terms of percieved listening level there is more than enough as it is - without getting anywhere near distortion. I suspect 15W rms is plenty. There is even a serious level of bass... with no sub and factory speakers.
    The only thing letting it down is the clarity of the sound.

I understand the power is good argument - I have a Denon 3802 that can do 105W but never turn it up past -18. The power behind it helps present a quality sound.
    If amp(s) is the only way to get it then I'll have to face it. The installation does not worry me.... I was trying to keep my sensible head on. Upgrades are a terrible thing - once you start....

4. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    It depends how much you want to spend, you could try a set of custom-fit speakers from the likes of Kenwood or Sony, you will notice a slight increase in quality, but as lynx said, to get any appreciable gains you really need an amp. I used to run my components (Mini rear parcel shelf) without an amp, and they sounded great, but when I fitted the amp I found out what I was missing. The £40 Kenwoods would probably be quite good, especially if they are a pukka two-way with a seperate tweeter, rather than dual cones.

If you do decide to go for an amp, buy a decent one, as there are far too many cheap amps about that seem to quote massive power outputs, but do so at the expense of quality.

A reputable dealer should be able to help you get a decent set up first time, without having to upgrade. At least you shouldn't have too many new surround formats coming out to cater for.

Ian

5. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    If you decide to buy an amp give me a shout as i have a couple of two channel jobs in my loft that would drive components and a sub (or 6x9's ). Save you spending on new stuff. :) One is rated at a genuine 75 w rms, iirc the other is around 50w.

6. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a few days to make up my mind as the head unit is with the dealer at the moment for modification (The display 'inverts' to prevent burn in... but its distracting at night - so they are re chipping it to stay in one mode .Kenwood FOC mod).

Amps in cars are new to me. They look like they are quite sizable lumps! What do you do with the thing when you are amping the fronts?? put it in the engine compartment and wire through the bulkhead? Passenger side footwell?
    What about 4 channel amps? good idea or harder to wire up?

They all seem to be covered in heatsinks - do they run hot?
    x hundred watts from 12V must mean a lot of current? dedicated supply or off the cars loom?

Hmm I could be about to start down a slippery slope here:)

7. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    The best spot for an amp in a Camry is in the boot. The fitter will run one power lead from under the bonnet to the amp and then one lead from the head-units pre-out (if it has one) to the amp. No extra electrical upgrades or whatever is needed. Then speaker cable from the amp to the speakers.

Get a 50w x4 channel amp for around £130-£180 - eg. Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine, etc, etc. (Try www.caraudiodirect.co.uk for a HUGE selection). A good budget 4 channel amp will make a far better improvement than new speakers just run off the head-unit. My Kenwood sounds crappy when used without the amp, but lovely with it. :)