Need help choosing: Samsung Q7 - Sony XF900 or LG B7

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Beleurney, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Beleurney

Beleurney
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Helping out a dear aunt move house, I promised here my Samsung 48" TV to replace her HD-ready ancient monster. So, seems I am in for a new TV :)

My search has narrowed it down to 3 options.
    Samsung QE55Q7F
    Sony KD-55XF9005
    LG B7

Initially I has only selected the first two as my favorites, and had almost decided for the Sony. Main reason was the great reviews of this and the previous model. Also, I have owned 3 Samsungs before and feel like a change in diet :)

Than I bumped into the LG.... and now I can't decide.

My 'needs':
    - we watch a lot of movies
    - we have upgraded to Netflix UHD and are eager to see series in better resolution
    - viewing distance is approx 3 meters
    - room is not brightly lit
    - tv is never ON for long / on a static screen

I would appreciate any suggestions to make me help decide!

Thanks!

2. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    B7 all day long. It’s the best for your usage and overall.

3. GreywolfinCZ

GreywolfinCZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    LG B7 with no hesitation.

OLED is not good for gamers and people who watch news all day long (burn-in risk), but for movies and your situation it offers great quality for the price.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  4. BaileyBob

BaileyBob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have neither but have used the B7 and XF9005 on numerous occasions.
    B7 picture quality is a lot better but as Greywolfincz mentioned it can susceptible to burn in.

Just because the LG is better in terms of picture quality the Sony is a very very capable set, and its cheaper and will only get even cheaper!

If cost is a issues and you can wait a month or so i would go Sony!

5. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Both the Sony and LG have Netflix UHD / Dolby Vision, I don’t believe the sammy does. I’ve had Sony on LG - one thing i’ve found is LG are much more responsive in terms of firmware realeases and bug fixes than Sony.

6. dts

dts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,000
    B7!! It's a brilliant tv had mine for just over three weeks..i game on ps4 pro and xbox one x,have sky hd and haven't had any issues yet..but i did adjust the settings via different picture modes..watching movies on this tv is on another level! Uhd Blu-ray is sublime...like anything if you set your tv up correctly then screen burn and image retention should be pretty much none existent... the tv will do a screen clean after every four hours of use when you put the tv into standby.

7. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    There is nothing wrong with gaming on the B7; however you are better off with an LCD if you want to leave sky news on all day. there is a risk of burn in but for everyday use including gaming, for the price, there is nothing else that compares.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  8. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    If you get the XF9005 wait for it to come down in price, not sure if price trends will be the same in NL but it should be a good £300 less than the B7.

It's a new model, so its price compared to is still quite high.

9. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    Fellas - the op doesn’t even mention gaming and specifically says about static content. It’s therefore more than likely that gaming performance/issues are not high on the agenda.

10. TomWM

TomWM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I had a Samsung KS7000 (predecessor to Q7) and got rid of it. Samsung products are generally ok at first, though many suffer from poor build quality. The worst thing is software though. Samsung abandon their products really quickly and don't release updates to fix lingering issues, bugs and missing features.

Mine had an annoying light bleed and for some reason Samsung said it was within their tolerances and thus did not qualify for repair/replacement.

Also, third-party apps don't get updated either. Netflix app was either a buggy version or it was the TV, but the content looked just awful. HDR material was the worst I'd say.

============================

So, I've switched to LG B7 and I love it!! Software/OS seems mature and polished out. The picture quality is amazing. HDR content looks great and so does anything else, really.
    Colours are superb and blacks are BLACK. You've got to see this in a dark room (lights off).

I mainly watch streamed content and UHD blu rays, but also some live TV.

I also play games on XBOX One X, and again, I love the quality. That's especially shown on 4K HDR games, like Assassin's Creed Origins and Mass Effect Andromeda.

As long as you don't play the same game 12 hrs a day, I wouldn't worry about burn in.

This is the best TV all around and in future I'll only upgrade to a higher-end LG OLED.

11. job

job
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I was in similar position, with the same TV's on my list. I ended up with a panasonic 952 oled but it was really close with the lg b7. I'm sure you will be more than happy with the lg.

12. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,095
    I have been an LG OLED user now for more than three years, currently with an E6V and have much the same sort of viewing as you describe and have never seen a sign of image retention so buy without any worries and enjoy the best TV experience you'll ever have. :)

Martin.

13. Lee33

Lee33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Struggling to choose between the XF900 & the LG OLED myself, I'd love to upgrade to OLED, I do game but only casually, the main risk for me would be while I'm at work the kids channels with there static logos in corner of screen and the misses has a habit of pausing on something then go off doing housework, hoovering etc, I can see myself coming home to Jeremy Kyle burned into it :eek:

14. TomWM

TomWM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    B7 has a burn-in prevention mechanism built in. It’s basically a screen saver. It comes on automatically, though I’m not sure when. It definitely works when Netflix is left on. I haven’t tested it on anything else, and I didn’t see it come on when I left Xbox paused for 15 minutes. To be honest, I’ve never properly gone into settings and left everything on default, as it’s great out of the box, unlike KS7000....

I’d google it, if I were you. The feature is definitely there.

15. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Just set a sleep timer?

The LG 2017 models only pause on a static image from a smart TV or built in tuner. Not if you use an external tuner.

Or you could wait for this time next year and get the 2018 model with Logo Dimming which may help...although again not sure if that works with external sources.