1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help choosing LCD TV

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by DrSpike, Oct 10, 2005.

1. DrSpike

DrSpike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm pretty new to this game, but I'll try to help those who aren't by describing my situation and desired features as best I can.

Essentially I have an old TV and DVD player, and my hi-fi and speakers are in my computer room of the flat I've just bought, so I am in the position of needing to upgrade a lot of things together (for my lounge), which in some ways helps I guess, but taxes the wallet.

Reading the forum the first step to choosing a TV seems to be whether to get a HD ready one. I am going to use Freeview not Sky, and wont buy an X-Box 360 for the next couple of years. Probably I wont buy a HD DVD player until the market has matured a bit. Hence I think I don't really need an HD ready TV, but of course there is an argument that if you are going to spend a lot on a TV then you might as well spend a little extra to make it HD ready. Overall it kinda depends, since as I have a lot to upgrade there are lots of interacting decisions.

The 2 main ones are DVD player and sound. I'm planning on posting a thread in the DVD forum to get feedback, but to summarise here I'm planning on getting a cheapish machine (looking at the H&B 3255) to play my many DivX files and DVDs now, and get a recorder with Hard drive and HMDI output later on when my finances recover. I think this implies I should get TV with HDMI. If I am not right in thinking this will be beneficial even if I don't plan on getting an HD ready TV please correct me.

Sound is also an issue. I don't really want 5+ speakers in my lounge, and my hi-fi is not there, so any sound solution starts from scratch. I notice many of the better LCDs come with features like TruSurround, which attempts to emulate better setups. I'm sure these possibilities are not as good as proper surround sound, but I'd like to get some feedback on just how viable they are. Any other (more expensive, within reason) sound solutions for me that strike you are also welcome, as this is the area I'm most unsure in.

That's quite a lot, so to summarise:

1) Using Freeview, not Sky
    2) Not planning on X-Box360 or HD DVD player soon
    3) Prelimary plans to get H&B 3255, with a recorder with HDMI output later on.
    4) Sound solution is still up for grabs

Top of my list from research is the Sharp LC26P50E. This seems to get good reviews, and is about the price I am looking for. It also seems to have decent built in sound capabilities. However, I'm still uncertain whether there are other better options with inbuilt sound, or whether someone will convince me to work another sound solution into the mix.

Pretty much everything except 1) is still to be decided, so don't hold back on your views on any of it. :D

Thanks

Doc

2. DrSpike

DrSpike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    From browsing the DVD forum tonight I may be moving towards getting the LG DVX9900H as a DVD/DivX player.

The key remaining issue is the sound. Can anyone advise on the sound quality on the Sharp LC26P50E, or similar models?

3. DrSpike

DrSpike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anyone? :)

4. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    The sound quality for the P50E is pretty good for an LCD. Obviously it'll never beat a separate AV system but it's more than adequate for day-to-day TV use.