Need help choosing in wall speakers

river123

My current set up is 5.2.4 and would like two in wall back speakers for a 7.2.4, but I don’t know what I should be looking for. I have the M&K 750 series with 4 monitor audio ceiling speakers which are discontinued and 2 SVS subs. My new amp when available will be the new Yamaha RX A8. I have included a photo of my rear position set up with the external wall for 2 future in wall speakers.

Attachments

• 4AE73DF7-6F44-4D10-964C-1AA3D0EF2E25.jpeg
    4AE73DF7-6F44-4D10-964C-1AA3D0EF2E25.jpeg
    466.9 KB · Views: 44

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hey River! Last time we spoke you bought the SB4000 and i see you have added second for the Mrs. side. Must sound amazing now! :)

Usually it`s recommended that you would have about 1meter distance from MLP to surround backs so that means unless you can´t push your couch forward i fear there is no reason to add them. Due to overhead channels you would need to have them around seated ear height at quite narrow so that would mean they would shout directly behind your head. That would be horrible, i have tried surround l/r like that and was better to not have them at all! I think most folks would keep what you have now 5.2.4 if you can´t move the couch forward good amount.

Rich installs in-wall M&K systems weekly. Does @Seriously Ltd agree on this or some other idea?

7_1_4_mounted_overhead_spkrplc.jpg

river123

Hey River! Last time we spoke you bought the SB4000 and i see you have added second for the Mrs. side. Must sound amazing now! :)

Usually it`s recommended that you would have about 1meter distance from MLP to surround backs so that means unless you can´t push your couch forward i fear there is no reason to add them. Due to overhead channels you would need to have them around seated ear height at quite narrow so that would mean they would shout directly behind your head. That would be horrible, i have tried surround l/r like that and was better to not have them at all! I think most folks would keep what you have now 5.2.4 if you can´t move the couch forward good amount.

Rich installs in-wall M&K systems weekly. Does @Seriously Ltd agree on this or some other idea?

7_1_4_mounted_overhead_spkrplc.jpg
I can’t move the couch forward as I would be closer to a 77 inch oled. I had doubts about having two subs but it has made a massive difference and would definitely recommend it. I also have doubts about adding two back surrounds and completely agree with your post reply. Many thanks Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I can’t move the couch forward as I would be closer to a 77 inch oled. I had doubts about having two subs but it has made a massive difference and would definitely recommend it. I also have doubts about adding two back surrounds and completely agree with your post reply. Many thanks Gasp3621

Yes, i`m yet to read anyone regretting buying dual subs. :)

Have you tried for week time sitting closer to your 77" tv? If we look the recommended watching distances for 4K tvs they are often closer than people think. It´s usually question of getting used to it. I had 106" screen under 3meters and few months afterwards was craving larger (not 4K tho).

75"6.3 - 9.4 feet
80"6.7 - 10 feet

If you don´t move to 7.2.4 then you should save money with RX-A6A. Which av-receiver you have now?

river123

Yes, i`m yet to read anyone regretting buying dual subs. :)

Have you tried for week time sitting closer to your 77" tv? If we look the recommended watching distances for 4K tvs they are often closer than people think. It´s usually question of getting used to it. I had 106" screen under 3meters and few months afterwards was craving larger (not 4K tho).

75"6.3 - 9.4 feet
80"6.7 - 10 feet

If you don´t move to 7.2.4 then you should save money with RX-A6A. Which av-receiver you have now?
I have the old Yamaha RX-3050, I was set on having the RX-A6A but from what I’ve read the RX-A8A is marginally better for all the effect speakers . I’m a big gamer as well as loving home cinema so I definitely want the upgrade.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I have the old Yamaha RX-3050, I was set on having the RX-A6A but from what I’ve read the RX-A8A is marginally better for all the effect speakers . I’m a big gamer as well as loving home cinema so I definitely want the upgrade.

Fair enough. The new YPAO should finally equalize the subwoofers better as you have the low frequency mode in the PEQ menu i believe. But the unit also costs quite a lot! There is the likes of Anthem MRX1140, but no hdmi 2.1 out of box. If you aren`t in hurry then wait until first reviews are out. The new models should sound very similar what you got as they have very similar 150w poweramps and same DACs. More channels, new features, Surround AI should be lot better than earlier, Auro3D i think?, hdmi 2.1 with the features for gamers. Yamaha factory at Malaysia is closed now due to covid i read somewhere so prepare that they aren´t available 30.9 as was mentioned some time ago and that was probably for US customers anyway. Hopefully before christmas. There will be some video interview with Yamaha rep this month if it haven´t changed. I will inform about it (yamaha 2021 receiver thread) when it´s sure thing, it´s done at Audioholics youtube channel.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom