1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help choosing DVD....

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by osbornej76, Feb 17, 2005.

1. osbornej76

osbornej76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a brand new Philips 32PF9986 LCD which due to its fantastic picture is really showing the flaws in my 6 yr old Wharfdale DVD player (via SCART!).

I am on a budget of ~£250, (All my cash went on the LCD panel :rolleyes: )

The features that I really want are:

DVI output (the Philips only has DVI and no component)
    Progressive scan. My limited research says that re-interleaving is important!?
    Multiregion. A big one. I have tons of R1 & R2 discs.
    Half decent CD Stereo output, since a dedicated CD player is at the bottom of my shopping list right now.

I also have a question about native resolution. Surely I would want the DVI 'signal' to be the same resolution as my LCD, to ensure the higest quality? Therefore do any DVD players output to 1366 x 768? Or am I missing something?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Jim

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You're right, the ideal is to output native, aka. "1:1 mapping", but sadly, no players outpu 1366x768, to do that you'd need a PC or external scaler.

There are a handful of currently popular players, the Pioneer 575 seems to be extremely popular, then there's a Denon 1910 and a Samsung .. just look back at currently active threads, there are several discussing the likely candidates.

3. osbornej76

osbornej76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks KraGorn , have scanned a few of the threads, however am getting really confused with the detail in these posts (ie which upscaling chip is in the HD945 etc)

From my research it *looks* like the Samsung HD745 will do what I want, however I just wanted to have something to compare it to....