Need help choosing CPU version!!!!

wastedagen

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I need an answer to what is probably a simple question.

I am currently in the market to buy a new laptop and am looking at the two choices of MSI GT725. The MSI GT725-210UK and the MSI GT725-087UK. The only difference other than screen size is the CPU.

As I do a lot of video rendering as well as play games (crysis), can someone please tell me which would be the best/fastest processor out of the two MSI Laptops for video rendering? The 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000 or the 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P9500.

If say, i'm rendering 1 video at a time would the 4 cores of the quad core be used to give a faster render time than the 2 cores of the dual core?

Or are the extra cores only used when carrying out multiple tasks?

Thanks in Advance...........:lease:

Last edited:
The first is only 2Ghz where the 2nd is 2.53Ghz meaning the 2nd is 530Mhz faster than the first one. I guess every little helps but i doubt crysis will run that great on any laptop.

Video rendering when its coded to use all cores works like you said. The quad core would be alot faster than the dual core.

If the rendering software you're using is programmed to take advantage of multiple cores, then it will be much faster on the quad as it will take advantage of the extra physical processors.

If it's not, then it will be slightly faster on the dual core, as it has a clock speed advantage.

Crysis will likely play better on the dual core, as I'm sure it can only use two processors simultaneously, hence the extra clock speed rather than extra cores will be an advantage.

Which rendering software will you be using?

If say, i'm rendering 1 video at a time would the 4 cores of the quad core be used to give a faster render time than the 2 cores of the dual core?

Or are the extra cores only used when carrying out multiple tasks?

It depends on what software you're using, by default a program can only only work with one core. Only if the program is specifically designed for multiple cores can it work with several at once.

In this case, video rendering is a task that's easily split across multiple cores so many of the programs that do it are multithreaded and are better on quad-cores than dual-cores.

Personally I would opt for the 2.53 dual core. Yes it may be slower in certain multi threaded circumstances but in most cases especially gaming it would be quicker.

On the plus point, great to see ATI back with a decent mobile gaming GPU in a reasonably priced laptop. :thumbsup:

Ah the latter is a dual core i didn't notice. I would still go for the quad as its hardly any slower with 2 extra cores and old games like crysis may not fully utilize the 2 extra cores but modern games and all future games will. Iv been a dual core owner for gaming but now is about the time to start going quad.

Thank you all for your replys. It has cleared things up.

Now since I actually do a lot more video rendering than play games I will probably opt for the quad core.

Maybe if I hold on for a few months MSI will release a 2.2 or 2.6Ghz Quad core version.

*FYI* I use TMPGEnc Express v4.7, TMPGEnc Authoring WORKS 4 and Adobe After Effects to do my rendering. (Well I like to play around with After Effects - still learning).

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom