Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Need help choosing a TV

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by SSR, Sep 3, 2005.

1. SSR

SSR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My ancient CRT is on its way out and I need a new set. It'll be for cable TV, DVDs, and gaming. I don't want to spend more than £800 incl. delivery.

I'm looking at a Toshiba 36ZP38, because it's got everything I need and want (lots of scart sockets, composite, progressive scan, good size) and I'm reliably informed that the Tosh range are some of the best CRTs around.
    But, the size and weight are a little worrying. So are there any flat-screen sets that can compare? I'm not bothered about HDTV, because all the HD sets I've seen have had horrible quality when displaying standard TV pictures, and I think they're out of my price range anyway.

Any suggestions?

2. longleyc

longleyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never seen a small large screen CRT. Thats the nature of the beast im afraid. But its quoted "Best as CRT gets"!
    Its heavy too, but youre not planning to take it for regular walks?
    I had mine delivered and installed. Its still sitting there.

I cant say too much on LCD, as I dont like them. The Tosh Stasia? LCD`s look nice. I saw a 17" but that size anything should look good on it. Think you will have to pay double the 36ZP to get a decent large LCD.

Everybody whose seen my 36ZP usually has to hide their exitement, its soooo good.

3. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    If your looking for a 36inch TV theres little to choose from since few manufacturers make them. For CRT your just about stuck with the Tosh 36ZP or the Panasonic 36PD50 if you can find one. These will give you the i/p's you require. By nature they will both be very heavy. Alternative is to buy a rear projection which is even more heavy and big. Currys were recently doing a deal on a Panasonic for £600. See other posts within this group.

There is of course LCD but I have not seen such a size TV at this price range. Only a 32inch (about equivelent to a 34inch CRT) for £600 but this was some *cheap* brand from staples.