• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Need help choosing a HD Ready LCD.

Xirix

Standard Member
I'm experimenting with different types of Television at the moment, it's doing my head in.. but it has to be done.

I originally thought I'd try a Plasma Screen, the Philips version I got more or less destroyed my original vision of how good Plasma's are. Then I ordered the Panny PV500, but as it turns out I now can't afford it anymore, plus lots of imperfections keep popping up like sound buzzing, having to do all this calibration to it, Screenburn etc.

So I thought I'd go for the middle ground, not CRT, but not Plasma. However even looking through the HD Ready LCD thread confused the hell out of me. Here is what I need. My price range is limited.. Nothing over £1000.

Idealy I'd want a 32" screen, with RGB Scart and a Componant Connection. Wether it can connect to my PC I don't really mind. And it has to be High Definition Ready, and maybe have that HDMI Connection? Since I'm planning on using it with the new consoles coming out.

I'll be mostly using my games consoles on it, which I already have all the Componant and RGB Scarts for.

So nice and simple, can anyone suggest to me any GOOD LCD TV's.. ( I'm also going to assume that any 32" LCD would be widescreen? ) preferably ones that don't as such suffer from whatever imperfections LCD tv's have. I'm not sure what Blocking and Ghosting are.. but they don't sound nice.

Also I read that LCD's don't work too well if they're the only light source in the room, making blacks look like grays and such. Are there any ways around this? Because at night I usually play with only the TV as light.. especially for Dark games like Silent Hill, where having my light on completely ruins the mood.

You guys have been very good at teaching me before.. I mean, before I came here I didn't know what Composite and Componant was.. and I didn't know there were different types of Scart.

So please help me with TV suggestions, I'll look them up cheap myself. But I'm just looking for a TV without annoying little trinkets, and a solution to the watching it in the dark thing.

Also, are LCD TV's susceptable to Screenburn? And if so.. is it as bad as the Plasma Screenburn?

Thanks.
 

Llanowar

Standard Member
Xirix said:
I'm experimenting with different types of Television at the moment, it's doing my head in.. but it has to be done.

I originally thought I'd try a Plasma Screen, the Philips version I got more or less destroyed my original vision of how good Plasma's are. Then I ordered the Panny PV500, but as it turns out I now can't afford it anymore, plus lots of imperfections keep popping up like sound buzzing, having to do all this calibration to it, Screenburn etc.

So I thought I'd go for the middle ground, not CRT, but not Plasma. However even looking through the HD Ready LCD thread confused the hell out of me. Here is what I need. My price range is limited.. Nothing over £1000.

Idealy I'd want a 32" screen, with RGB Scart and a Componant Connection. Wether it can connect to my PC I don't really mind. And it has to be High Definition Ready, and maybe have that HDMI Connection? Since I'm planning on using it with the new consoles coming out.

I'll be mostly using my games consoles on it, which I already have all the Componant and RGB Scarts for.

So nice and simple, can anyone suggest to me any GOOD LCD TV's.. ( I'm also going to assume that any 32" LCD would be widescreen? ) preferably ones that don't as such suffer from whatever imperfections LCD tv's have. I'm not sure what Blocking and Ghosting are.. but they don't sound nice.

Also I read that LCD's don't work too well if they're the only light source in the room, making blacks look like grays and such. Are there any ways around this? Because at night I usually play with only the TV as light.. especially for Dark games like Silent Hill, where having my light on completely ruins the mood.

You guys have been very good at teaching me before.. I mean, before I came here I didn't know what Composite and Componant was.. and I didn't know there were different types of Scart.

So please help me with TV suggestions, I'll look them up cheap myself. But I'm just looking for a TV without annoying little trinkets, and a solution to the watching it in the dark thing.

Also, are LCD TV's susceptable to Screenburn? And if so.. is it as bad as the Plasma Screenburn?

Thanks.

No screenburn. Blacks are pretty good these days, especially when you can turn backlight down. For 1000 pounds i would look at the 32 inch JVC, Samsung or Sony series. All hd-ready and the connections you're looking for. Check in the shops if you can get your computer running on these though... that's tricky sometimes. Not too much difference between them these days, checked again today in the shops...all look very good especially with dvd's :)
 

Xirix

Standard Member
No screenburn? That's a start I guess, and.. by Pretty Good blacks.. would they annoy me in a dark room? I only found one 32 inch by Sony, and it was £2000 o_O. Do you maybe have the product numbers of some?

Any other suggestions are more than welcome, I want all the information I can get.. for the perfect ( or near perfect ) LCD :)

Also, can somebody explain the things wrong with LCD Tv's.. What are Dead Pixels? And is there anything else I should know?
 

Xirix

Standard Member
I'm sorry to double post just to bump the thread, but my time schedule is pretty small.. I need as much advice as I can cram into my head right now. Please.
 
D

daddyp

Guest
Xirix,

You may want to look at the Samsung. There are a couple of models that are all pretty much the same. A 32 inch screen with all the connections you are looking for are currently about £850 from somewhere like digiuk.com. The fact that Microsoft are using them to demonstrate the xbox 360 gives you an idea of what they think of them as I'm sure they wouldn't want the screen to put off people buying their new kit.

Hope that helps. Oh and there are some monster threads with regards tearing issues (jagged lines scrolling up the screen) The firmware has been updated to fix the problem on all the new stock and from what I can gather there have been no more issues.
 

chriszzzzzz

Active Member
I'll second the Sammy. f a n t a s t i c....LE32R41BD..R51 from Currys or Dixons..
 

Xirix

Standard Member
Hmm, the LE32R41BDX looks quite snazzy. It says two scart connections.. should I just assume they are RGB Scart connections?

It's good to know you say it's Fantastic Chris, how's it look in a Dark room when it's the only light source?

Also, I mentioned the LE32R41BDX because it seems to be EXACTLY the same as the LE32R41B except it has an "iDTV tuner" I'm.. guessing that's some kind of Freeview Digital TV? But does anyone have specifics on this? Thanks :) I'm really getting somewhere here.
 

Xirix

Standard Member
Update : Apparently 12 feet away is a good viewing distance?? o_O... My viewing distance will be able 2 metres away, since it's in my bedroom.. this won't be much of a problem will it?
 

Xirix

Standard Member
I don't want any smaller than 32".. I'm just wondering if it will look shabby from that distance.
 

Bourner

Active Member
10-12 feet is a good viewing distance for the 32" Samsung, only one of the scarts is RGB. I have the freeview version and the x-box looks amazing. Go for it. Got mine from Digi UK with the HD DVD player connected over HDMI for less than a grand.
 

Xirix

Standard Member
I wasn't aware HD-DVD players existed yet..

But anyway, I know that 10-12 feet is a good viewing distance.. but I'm SAYING that my maximum viewing distance is just over 2 Metres ( Just under 7 feet ) , will this make it look shabby at all?

And how good is it in the dark?
 

Bourner

Active Member
The DVD upscales not true HD-DVD, must leave work tired!

7 ft, hmm. Not a home at the moment but you may well be better off with the 26" although my the end of the sofa I usually sit on must be around 2 metres on a diagonal from the telly and it looks amazing, been sitting up till stupid o'clock playing Far Cry in ther dark, looks amazing.
 

Xirix

Standard Member
If you can ( on your own time of course ), just verify that it was about 2 metres :p Then.. I'll definitely stick with the 32", glad to know it's good in the dark, I've done my fair share of playing until stupid o clock :).

And even if it doesn't look right, I always make sure I buy it from people with Satisfaction Garuntee's.. I could just get it exchanged for a smaller model should anything really annoying arise.
 

Xirix

Standard Member
Update : Just a small check, this threading thing.. Will the newest batch not have them? Something about upgraded firmware?
 

Faust

Well-known Member
Recommended viewing distances
7 to 9 feet - 37" diagonal
8 to 10 feet - 42" diagonal
10 to 13 feet - 50" diagonal
12 to 16 feet - 65" diagonal

Hope this assists
 

Moogle

Distinguished Member
Xirix said:
Update : Just a small check, this threading thing.. Will the newest batch not have them? Something about upgraded firmware?

I think you mean tearing. I doubt the TV's are shipping with the latest firmware yet. I got mine about 2-3 weeks ago and it doesn't have the newest firmware. More then likely if you get the TV now it won't have the latest version of the firmware and will need to be upgraded. Maybe 2-3 months down the road they may ship with a version of the firmware that fixes the tearing issue.
 

mjw123

Active Member
Faust said:
Recommended viewing distances
7 to 9 feet - 37" diagonal
8 to 10 feet - 42" diagonal
10 to 13 feet - 50" diagonal
12 to 16 feet - 65" diagonal

Hope this assists

Don't think these are correct for LCD.

10-12 foot is about right for 32"...by the figures above you'd need to be 5-7 feet away for 32" :suicide: :suicide: ...far too close.
 

Faust

Well-known Member
mjw123 said:
Don't think these are correct for LCD.

10-12 foot is about right for 32"...by the figures above you'd need to be 5-7 feet away for 32" :suicide: :suicide: ...far too close.

Source for viewing distances, Panasonic Global website - blame them.
 

Xirix

Standard Member
Okay, cool. I'll take my chances with being so close to the 32" version. But nobody has actually told me how it looks from 2 metres away, is it just bad for my eyes or does the picture look horrible?
 

Xirix

Standard Member
Okay, cool. I'll take my chances with being so close to the 32" version. But nobody has actually told me how it looks from 2 metres away, is it just bad for my eyes or does the picture look horrible?
 

chriszzzzzz

Active Member
Xirix said:
Okay, cool. I'll take my chances with being so close to the 32" version. But nobody has actually told me how it looks from 2 metres away, is it just bad for my eyes or does the picture look horrible?
Still looks good a two meters but I think it may be a waste of money buying the 32 to view from that distance, the 26 may be better.
I view mine from about three meters.
 

Borgy

Standard Member
I sit about 2m from my 32" P50 and it looks amazing, however if I had a smaller room I'd save myself some money and got the 26" which is more than adequate.
 

Xirix

Standard Member
I was thinking this over all last night.. and you're right, I don't need uber-sized TV. The 26" will still be bigger than my current TV.. and about a thousand times better., Plus if I buy the 26" I can preorder my Xbox 360 with Perfect Dark Zero ^^.

Mkay I think I'm ready to buy now guys, thanks again for top-notch advice, I even know what number to call if I see tearing :)
 

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom