Need help choosing a dvd player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by rickyroma, Mar 16, 2005.

1. rickyroma

rickyroma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Got a Sony ns355 at the moment , just got a Plasma that has Prog Scan & component inputs so hoping to take advantage of those.

Basically needs to be multi region have component and optical outputs and Progressive scan. Then ill be happy :)

Anyone got any suggestions ?

2. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's your budget?

What's your plasma?

What things are most important - video performance, audio performance, build, style, noise, interface, front display, remote...?

3. rickyroma

rickyroma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    budget 100 quid + what I get for the ns355 , Plasma - Panasonic PW7 , Amp - Sony STR-L500.

Would go for video performace over audio , not bothered about the rest although a remote would come in handy !

4. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in that case, my personal recommendation is one of the Toshibas (140, 240 or 340).

Toshiba told me they all have identical performance, its just features and cosmetics that are different. the 140 does everything you need and is just £30 from Richer Sounds, or £50 from Argos if you want to try it out first.

i have a Sony 355 myself and have just wasted far too much time finding a sub-£100 player....youd be amazed at how many problems they all mostly have....i tried virtually every model, and saved the best and cheapest (toshiba) till last! it looks superb on my 50" plasma, i recommend it and nothing else for your budget.

5. rickyroma

rickyroma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    thanks ill check them out , they sound perfect !

6. rickyroma

rickyroma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I see they only have pal progressive scan , alot of my dvds are region 1 , is it possible to get players that have prog scan for pal & ntsc or would that be getting into very high price territory ?

7. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,254
    Pioneer 575,do a search of forum.

8. rickyroma

rickyroma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I think ive found what im after

pioneer 370 s " PureCinema Progressive Scan: PAL/NTSC Yes/Yes "
    cheap too , only around 40 quid , hopefully will do the job

:)

thanks for the help ill dig up some reviews of this and make up my mind soon tommorow !

9. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    ricky, I would think that your plasma will do prog scan better than your dvd player anyway in that price range. From what I've read here you need to be in the £500 dvd range before it will do better than your plasma.

10. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That Pioneer 370 was the first I tried - it was a heap of junk to be honest...picture and sound were good, but i couldn't stand the racket it made when accessing or navigating the discs, or the way it slowed up when playing DVD-Rs...or the looks (it doesnt look like the Pioneer photoshoot lets put it that way!)...or the worst build quality ive ever seen (and i own an Alba...)

I don't use progscan myself because I know the plasma its connected to has superb deinterlacing...can't speak for your Panasonic though

11. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    You could try the Cyrus-tuned Limit DVDA900SE (£100 from Play). There have been various threads discussing it over the past few months, so it's worth having a read of them. I bought one based on the recommendations from the forum, and it's a very good player. I haven't tried the Progressive scan capabilities myself though, but I believe it does PAL and NTSC prog scan.

Balders.

12. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    I've got the Limit 900se and it does progressive scan very well. It's an all round excellent player for the very modest price, I had a loan of a mates Denon 2200 and I was more impressed when I went back to the 900se.

13. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Best imho for £100 is the Limit 900se Yes i have one the player was better than a few i tried inc popular players like the the Pioneer 575 and the Marantz 4500 , and the Limit 900 se the one i kept, a lot of people here on the forum will tell you it is the best sounding best built and has a superb picture for the silly price of £100 from Play, imho they are right . abnett.

14. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Does the Limit still lose all the menu adjustments when you switch it off? Seem to remember reading about it somewhere?

...PJ

15. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Samsung HD745 - upscales on component and DVI, Prog scan plays anything, mega reviews on this site.

£100 no brainer !

16. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    PJTX100,

The Limit does lose the Picture settings that you can tweak - Brightness, Contrast, Sharpess, ... and ... something else :confused: . I don't tend to adjust these anyway, so it's no great loss to me.

Balders.

17. rickyroma

rickyroma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    cheers for the help guys , still undecided though , the limit sounds good , wouldnt mind going for that , the samsung also sounds good though !!!

Decided against the Tosh & Pioneer although I thought the pioneer looked decent for the price , I guess you get what you pay for .

Gonna keep looking about !