Question Need Help Choosing a Drone for Covid-19 Response Programme

Abdullatif

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I work for a Foundation that is planning to launch a drone response programme for a possible 2nd wave of Covid-19. We are looking for drones that would be able to deliver food parcels or PPE equipment to frontline NHS staff in emergencies.

We are looking for a drone around the following specifications within reasonable cost:
  • Carry a load of 7.5kg.
  • Cover a distance of 6 miles in one go.
  • Trackable.
  • Carrying/dropping system.
  • Can be operated in bad weather conditions.
  • Easy to learn how to operate.
What kind of drones should we be looking for? And what kind of low-cost solutions could be developed?

Would really appreciate any help. Thanks

I'd be fascinated to see what other people think but this looks a very difficult request to me. 7.5kg is a very high payload for a drone and puts it well outwith the realm of mainstream drones, the six mile range makes it even more difficult since heavy payloads on a drone will significantly reduce their runtime. A drone with a quoted payload of 10kg would look suitable but checking the specs further you'll likely find at max payload the runtime is more than halved and that's before considering the likes of wind which can substantially reduce batterylife.

You've mentioned easy to use but a drone like this would need a CAA licensed pilot.

I couldn't find any costs for this level of drone but I suspect you'd be well into 5 figures looking at something like the xfold Dragon x4/x6.

I'd be fascinated to see what other people think but this looks a very difficult request to me. 7.5kg is a very high payload for a drone and puts it well outwith the realm of mainstream drones, the six mile range makes it even more difficult since heavy payloads on a drone will significantly reduce their runtime. A drone with a quoted payload of 10kg would look suitable but checking the specs further you'll likely find at max payload the runtime is more than halved and that's before considering the likes of wind which can substantially reduce batterylife.

You've mentioned easy to use but a drone like this would need a CAA licensed pilot.

I couldn't find any costs for this level of drone but I suspect you'd be well into 5 figures looking at something like the xfold Dragon x4/x6.
Thanks for your response Johnmcl7, that's very helpful.
We are actually looking for something that could cover a total distance of 6 miles (taking both ways into consideration), so it would be able to cover a radius of 3 miles.
I came across few automated drones that have similar specs to what we are looking for, but most of them are either not tested or have very high prices.

It is an interesting question. But I think that you might want to consider whether a drone is really the right answer. Consider how long the battery might take to charge to just perform a single trip? Over an hour? In which case, it would probably be quicker and cheaper to get someone on a bicycle (or even electrical bicycle, 1 charge could do 30km).

You mention the costs? Unless you are delivering drugs to a prison, then if you are taking any kind of money you are likely to fall under the bracket of commercial (even charities would). Thus you are looking at permissions and licenses. Try a gander at this page:
and this random one I did a quick search for, a 3 day course to get the basics to a level where you might be competent enough for PFCO, would be £1000 + VAT

The costs they talk about there are for a simple camera drone. Consider perhaps the costs behind the Amazon attempts at using drones.
They buy in bulk, 380+ drones. Each drone costing AT BULK $4000. Cost for 5 years of maintenance guessed at between $3000-$4000.
Assuming that they can deliver 7.5 MILLION packages in that 5 year period, 35c per package.

BUT that doesn't take into account the cost of an experience drone pilot, rather than a possibly not so experienced truck driver (they don't appear to always be around my way, managed to reverse into a gate). Doesn't take into account the license either. And assumes that the hours working per week are 72 hours, rather than 55 for a truck.

7.5kg is a very high payload for a drone and puts it well outwith the realm of mainstream drones,

If you don't read the links about the Amazon service, their expectations/calculations are based upon 7.5MILLION packages, weighing below 5 lbs (2.26KG)

I’m certainly no expert on commercial drones but as others have said, the drone itself is the least of your concerns.

the hoops you’d need to jump through to be able to use a drone like this legally I’ll be huge and expensive.
Now you may already be aware of this but if your still looking for drone examples, maybe not.

I’d put in a simple email to the CAA as they may we’ll be able to suggest the right people to speak to, that said I think they might shoot you down from the off

good luck with everything though.
Sounds like a good cause

I was going to mention after reading the OP yesterday that I dont think an idea would ever get off the ground:eek: and it would have been cheaper to pay someone on a moped to deliver the goods.
Coldpenguin took the ink out of my pen. A non starter for all sorts of reasons I'm afraid.

If you don't read the links about the Amazon service, their expectations/calculations are based upon 7.5MILLION packages, weighing below 5 lbs (2.26KG)

I'm not sure why you've quoted me for this comment and can't see the relevance, the OP said they needed a 7.5KG payload and didn't make any reference to Amazon.

John

can't fault you for what you are trying to achieve , however , why can't you just use road transport ? , out of curiously , what's the name of the organisation ? .......

I'm not sure why you've quoted me for this comment and can't see the relevance, the OP said they needed a 7.5KG payload and didn't make any reference to Amazon.

John
It was not intended at you per se. Sorry if it was taken the wrong way. It was inteded as following on from your comment that 7.5KG was large. Amazon are a 'large' logistical/delivery company effectively. For them, their estimated limit is 2.26KG, less than a third of what the OP is looking for. If they have taken ~5 years+ getting the crinkles worked out just looking at a 'small' delivery system, it is going to take a lot of thought getting ready for a 'large' payload delivery system which 'hopefully' will have a 2 year end of life (fingers crossed, best will in the world).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom