1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help choosing a canon L series lens

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by mxseduti, May 19, 2005.

1. mxseduti

mxseduti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im having a bit of a dilemma at the moment. Going to receive my bonus next month and im not sure which L lens to go for.
    The choice so far is -

70-200mm f4 L
    70-200mm f2.8 L is
    70-200mm f2.8 L (non is)

Weight plays a big part though. I had a serious motorbike accident last year and have lost the use of my right arm.
    I have a 20d (use it upside down with a battery grip) and have briefly used a 70-200mm f4 L which i can just about manage with one hand but im worried about it on cloudy days/low light? I have also seriously thought about swopin it for a lighter 350d??

I guess i will have to use a monopod with the bigger lenses but are they worth the extra weight considering my position.

I photograph motorsport, mainly off road motorbikes, enduros, motocross etc

I would really appreciate anyones help on this

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  3. mxseduti

mxseduti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had a quick look and i dont think it is really what im after.
    Alothough its a small lesn it doesnt really look up to it, soft wide open (which is prob way it will be mostly used) & slow speed.

I really think an L lens is for me. Do you have any experience with the 70-200 f4 L? If so, does it struggle in low light?

4. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't really mate, i've tried it indoors and it's too slow for that. How about the 200mm prime?

I'd have a look and ask for advice here http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30

in low light F4 is not ideal but i'm guessing you're going to be mainly shooting in the day so i dont think it would be too much of a problem, you could always bump the iso up for cloudy days

5. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The F4 does struggle in low light which was primarily why I sold mine. You may just struggle to grip and zoom as well!

How close do you get to the subject? Maybe something shorter and lighter may do if you can get close. I doubt you're too far away. I'm thinking maybe the 135mm f2.0 prime L or the 200mm L f2.8. I think they cost around £750 and £500 respectively, though just a hazy guess! Basically you then have a very high quality P&S from the POV of usability.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what might be suitable given the weight and handling issues. I wonder if a monopod could help ... you could get everything securely mounted and then almost walk it around like a walking stick (or a massive lollypop!!)

6. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +598
    I hope the F/4L doesn't struggle too much....I've got one on order :rolleyes: I have read rave reviews about the lens which purportedly has a massive amount of 'bang for the bucks'.

Still I'll find out for myself soon enough :)

Pete

7. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It doesn't struggle at all! It's only one stop slower than the f2.8 version, so if you've got one of the recent low noise digital SLRs you just increase the ISO sensitivity and you have pretty much the same capability as the f2.8 version. The IS version will be a different kettle of fish, but that is silly money for most amateur photographers.

I have found that I can hand hold the f4 variety at surprisingly low shutter speeds and get acceptable results, possibly due to its reasonable weight and size. It is an excellent lens and I don't think that you will be disappointed.

Bill

8. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +598
    Thank you for that re-assurance :thumbsup: I did suspect that it would not be that bad at F/4 and I had researched extensively before making my decision. What's also nice is that I have a £70 rebate voucher from Canon for this lens :clap:

I am looking forwards to getting it and adding it to my collection......well erm adding it to my ef-s 17-85mm is usm anyway :oops:

Still I'm just a begginer, with HUGE aspirations....I think this is what is going to stabilise me through my mid-life crisis :eek:

Pete.

9. c75mitch

c75mitch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with severnsource the f4 is a stunning lens and good in low light, if you do try to uses it at night though it does tend to hunt a bit unless what you are focussing on is well lit.

10. c75mitch

c75mitch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +598
    Nice pics Callum,

Love the last one :thumbsup:

Pete. :smashin:

12. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There's no doubt the F4 is a great lens but in low light that extra stop will make a difference, a full stop is no small amount its twice the amount of light and faster.

If it was not for you injury i'd get the IS version (seeing as budget's not an issue but size) but it's just going to be to heavy so it has to be the F4. I'd seriously look at the primes to though

13. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61

Hi, sorry to hear about your accident.
    just remember if your going to use a monopod/tripod all the time with this lens there's not much point in the IS lens. You have to turn the IS off when tripod/monopod mounting it.

ASH1

14. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Actually there is a good point Ash as it also has "secondary IS mode" to quote to quote http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-70-200mm-f-2.8-L-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

"Keep IS turned on when mounting the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM Lens on a tripod to take advantage of this secondary IS mode - reducing mirror slap, shutter and tripod vibrations.

It also has IS mode two for panning:
    The Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM Lens's Mode-2 IS is designed for panning. Use it for a subject moving in one direction - pan the camera with the subject. A good subject for Mode-2 IS would be a bicyclist or a vehicle. Blur the background with motion - leave the subject sharp.

15. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi seany, I have a 28-135 IS which as you know doesn't have secondary IS. In the manual with mine it tells you to turn off IS when mounting it on a tripod. I also borrowed a mates EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM last week while he was away, which has secondary IS. I didn't read all of the manual and maybe I didn't read it correctly, but I thought the panning IS referred to hand held?.

ASH1 :smashin:

16. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry ash

what i was saying about the panning part is was just another reason why i'd look at the IS version. if he wants to shoot motor sport then i can't think of a better sport for panning.

Does not really matter to our pal as he told us weight is an issue because of his arm so he must want to hand hold the lens a lot of the time. It's going to be too heavy