Need help choosing a 50" tv

mob17

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking to upgrade from my current 7 year old panasonic 32" tv to a 50", as i have currently moved into my own property and the TV is way too small, and not really great quality.

I will be sitting around 10-11ft away so have decided 50" should be ok. My thoughts are:

1080p (so no 4k)
No curve
Not interested in 3d

I watch a lot of football, F1 and movies. I also play ps3, and may upgrade to a ps4 in the coming months.

My budget is £500, could maybe push to £550. I have been looking at the sony w755c and w805c. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks

Any advice? Not really sure what to get...

why no 4k may I ask.

why no 4k may I ask.

I don't know, i just thought it wasn't worth it at my viewing distance, but i'm open to them too.

I've got 2 tv's on my radar, the w755 and w805. Are there any differences in these apart from 3d? Also is w705 a step down?

Have read about 20 pages of the sony thread so far.

I don't know, i just thought it wasn't worth it at my viewing distance, but i'm open to them too.

I've got 2 tv's on my radar, the w755 and w805. Are there any differences in these apart from 3d? Also is w705 a step down?

Have read about 20 pages of the sony thread so far.
I wouldn't rule it out as its the way things are going, the sonys will be as simular as it gets, the thing with the sonys is bad issues with light bleed and dse and banding, also the android based system is very buggy at the moment still. he w705 is lower spec and some will say cant tell the difference in picture some will, I would go and check some out if you can at some richer sounds or john lewis.

Thanks buddy. I am planning to go to Richer Sounds on Monday to have a browse. Original budget was 400 but is going up by the day!

Just want a tv with great pic quality, i'm not an expert so i may not even notice things, but it would be nice to know a certain tv will fit the bill.

Btw, i have also read they are a bit buggy. Tbh i wont use the smart tv functionality too much. Its mainly sky hd and ps3/4. Also i don't know why i'm convinced to go for sony, perhaps its because my parents have one at their house and it looks great.

Fare enough, the sonys this year have been diar this year for the screen uniformity issues, don't get me wrong, therer is good sets out there, but a lot more worse than good, had 3x 75inch w855 over the pst few months and they all had bad dse and banding, the picture was great otherwise but just unwatchable on most things without it doing your head on, I really do suggest going and having a look at a few.

Doing my head in trying to read so many opinions. Now im not sure if i should get 4k as some people report bad upscaling from SD.

Going to Richer Slunds today to try and see some in the flesh and have a play. Are the staff pretty good? I know currys are useless

the staff in rs are normally much better, and how much sd do you watch.

Scott: probably watch half SD and half HD

Ivor: thats one of the other tv's i was looking at. Gets great reviews but i've read some batches have got lip sync issues?

Anyways i went into RS in Milton Keynes today. Jesus what a tiny store, it was literally the size of my small bedroom at home. It was quite busy too but managed to grab one of the agents, and asked him about the difference between w805 and w755. He said 3d is the only difference, and they both have the same panel.

Managed to have a look at a 43" w755, looked nice. Unfortunately they didn't have the 50" to see but i might go to currys this week to have a look.

So i think i've narrowed my choice down to two models. The Sony 50w755c and the Samsung 48h6400.

Sony pros: bigger, playstation now?
Cons: some clouding issues reported, laggy on menus, slow firmware updates

Samsung pros: no clouding.
Cons: lip sync? Smaller. Motion worse?

Think i'm going to go into Currys tomorrow and have a longer look at both. If anyone can add to the pros/cons of each of the above then that would be much appreciated

I'm thinking replacing my 42" Pioneer Kuro with something larger but only as a stop gap until 4K becomes standard then will buy something around £1500

I'm thinking replacing my 42" Pioneer Kuro with something larger but only as a stop gap until 4K becomes standard then will buy something around £1500

That's exactly what i've done, i bought the Samsung 48 inch H6400 mainly because their isn't enough 4k content around to justify a decent spend on a 4k TV. From what i've read as well the 4K TV's need to get better at upscaling as i've seen quite a few reviews that say that quite a lot of the 4K TV's don't do a great job of upscaling standard content.

Same here, i think i will get a 4k tb after this one.

Reading up on more of the Sony thread, on pg36, it seems there are still issues with clouding, and even viewing angles. One member reported that the blacks go lighter if viewing slightly off centre. This is shocking to read.

Also, the Samsung H6400 has quadcore vs Sony's dual core, and proper active 3d (which i won't use). Also the h6400 is direct LED vs the Sony's edge lit, is this a big difference? I get the impression the Sony was made using cheap parts...

Can the lip sync issues be sorted on the Samsung? What is its real motion rate compared to the W755c? Slightly leaning towards the Samsung now...

Last edited:
Touch wood I've not seen any lip sync issues with the one I bought from Richer Sounds. I guess you could go into Richer Sounds and get them to open one from stock and demo it, just say to them if it doesn't have any lip sync issues you'll buy it there and then. At least that way you'll be testing the one you'll be buying.

Touch wood I've not seen any lip sync issues with the one I bought from Richer Sounds. I guess you could go into Richer Sounds and get them to open one from stock and demo it, just say to them if it doesn't have any lip sync issues you'll buy it there and then. At least that way you'll be testing the one you'll be buying.

I just got back from Currys and saw this tv in the flesh. Looks great, but i saw a Samsung UE58J5200 58" tv for only £550. Is there a catch somewhere?

Edit: found the catch. Only 2 HDMI slots and one USB, and you need a dongle to connect to wifi so basically no usb slots available. Guess its still between the original 2. Is 2 inches a lot of space in termsof tv's?

Last edited:
I think they do a 55 inch version in the Samsung 6400 series, the UE55H6400. So if you like that set you can go bigger, I think it's £100 more. Personally I don't think their is much between a 48 inch and a 50 inch, either will seem massive at first as you'll be coming from a 32 inch but you'll love the bigger size if either. With the 6400 series I like the fact that it's got built in WiFi and a lot of connection options and obviously the picture is very good.

It's one of them really, nobody can decide for you in the end. Just weigh up the different models, the pros and the negatives of each and the value for money. Mine is a stop gap for a year or two until 4k is more solid and they upscale better. I'm sure whatever you buy you'll enjoy as technology and picture quality will have moved on since you bought your 32 inch.

I wish someone could just tell me a good reason to get the samsung or sony over the other!

But i guess you're right i'll be happy with either, should be a nice upgrade to my current one.

Do you use the smart remote with your samsung? Is it useful?

Do you use the smart remote with your samsung? Is it useful?

Yeh, i think the smart remote is superb. I like the way that if you put your finger in the centre of the arrows and keep it there you can move a laser circle around on the screen to choose something, i think it works like a Wi controller based on your movement, it's a lot quicker than using the arrow keypad.

This is the first smart TV i've owned as i've always had a plasma in the past, i'm really impressed with the Samsung Smart Hub and how smooth and quick it is, the TV is great for things like youtube, iplayer, ITV player etc etc.

You should demo the smart controller and Samsung Smart Hub in Richer Sounds or somewhere that sells it, i'm sure you'd be impressed with it.

Obviously make your own choice, pick what feels right for you. One thing though with the 6400 range is the stocks won't last forever as it's a discontinued set now which is the main reason why it's a good price. Once the stores stocks have gone they won't get anymore.

Yeh, i think the smart remote is superb. I like the way that if you put your finger in the centre of the arrows and keep it there you can move a laser circle around on the screen to choose something, i think it works like a Wi controller based on your movement, it's a lot quicker than using the arrow keypad.

This is the first smart TV i've owned as i've always had a plasma in the past, i'm really impressed with the Samsung Smart Hub and how smooth and quick it is, the TV is great for things like youtube, iplayer, ITV player etc etc.

You should demo the smart controller and Samsung Smart Hub in Richer Sounds or somewhere that sells it, i'm sure you'd be impressed with it.

Obviously make your own choice, pick what feels right for you. One thing though with the 6400 range is the stocks won't last forever as it's a discontinued set now which is the main reason why it's a good price. Once the stores stocks have gone they won't get anymore.

Yeah i watched a few youtube videos of the smart remote, it looks pretty cool.

I pretty much read all of the Sony thread on thos forum, and it has just put me completely off getting a Sony. I can't believe a company such as Sony has released a product with so many bugs and are so slow in fixing it.

Going to pop into another store of currys this week (my local RS is tiny), and try the Samsung out properly, and hopefully buy. Its a shame John Lewis don't have it anymore.

I assume the equivalent 2015 Samsung sets aren't as good as the H6400? Because i have seen the UE48JU6000 for only £50 more and its 4k... But i guess the SD upscaling wouldn't be great?

Last edited:
I assume the equivalent 2015 Samsung sets aren't as good as the H6400? Because i have seen the UE48JU6000 for only £50 more and its 4k... But i guess the SD upscaling wouldn't be great?

And what Tv would be better for gaming, the h6400 or w755c? I am currently strongly leaning towards the samsung...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom