Need help choosing a 5.1 speaker package.

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
I'm looking at getting an Onkyo Receiver ( the 875) the replace my bose lifestyle system but need to choose some speakers. I'm pretty much set and a Rel Active sub which just leaves the 5 others.
I'm considering the Kef 3005's or 5005' at the moment but could use some input.
Cheers.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
You can do better than REL, for less money.
What's the maximum budget?

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
well 1000 for the onkyo and about 1000-1500 for the speakers, might push a bit more if needs be by saving a bit more and geting a sub later.
The thing with the rel sub is that I had a q100e and rreally liked it, plus the rel stuff always gets top reveiws but I'm open to suggestion.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Research SVS subwoofers and the BK Monolith subs on this site.

For the money, REL are poor, IMO, and I'm not the only one to think that, read for yourself and make your own my mind up.

First suggestion for speakers, is the SVS SBS 5.0, but there are others :)

Research those too, again on here.

All depends what your priorities are re looks, size etc.

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
well looks wise i currently have a bose lifestyle, and I have to admit I originally got interested in it because of small speakers, which is whay im looking at the Kef 'eggs'.
I dont want big square boxes obviously taking up living room space ( allowing an exception for the sub of course) so thats the kind of style i'm looking at, or not, you know what I mean.
Cheers for the input though, illl chech your ideas out.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Forget the SVS speakers then :D

You should consider that better sound comes from bigger boxes.
Titchy speakers give titchy sound, IMO, but you're not alone, so yes, go with the eggs, even though I think it's a mistake :)
Re the Kefs, higher the number, the better they are, as I'm sure you guessed with the price.

Others to consider, Acoustic energy lites, Antony Gallo.
Others will suggest other makes.

Forget REL though, without a doubt, consider a SVS SB12+.

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
well ive had a look at the Kef 5005's and I like the look of those. Theses should be better than the eggs but still look small, and after the bose system I tend to agree on small speakers and small sound but i'm hoping the kef stuff is better ( going to demo them ).
As for the svs's, they're just going to overwhlm the decor a bit too much I think, but I dont want to be unhappy with what I buy.
More research I guess but I'll take what you say under advisement and try and find a good middleground i guess.

iainsilvester

Forget the SVS speakers then :D

You should consider that better sound comes from bigger boxes.

Dangerous comment! Speakers masquerading as aluminium tennis balls will always be musically challenged. But then so too will £100 speakers masquerading as coffins.

A speaker the size of a shoe box will cover 90% of the audio spectrum we can actually hear. The rest is best dealt with by a good sub in a multichannel array.

So certainly don't go too small, but don't believe in the big is best myth.

As always let your ears audition.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Dangerous comment! Speakers masquerading as aluminium tennis balls will always be musically challenged. But then so too will £100 speakers masquerading as coffins.

A speaker the size of a shoe box will cover 90% of the audio spectrum we can actually hear. The rest is best dealt with by a good sub in a multichannel array.

So certainly don't go too small, but don't believe in the big is best myth.

As always let your ears audition.

Agreed, but that was the bit I was trying to emphasise :smashin:

disco37

Standard Member
Maybe you should consider auditioning the B&W MT-30's as well?
small speakers with a great sound!! and around your price range also!:smashin:

GarethG

Novice Member
Maybe you should consider auditioning the B&W MT-30's as well?
small speakers with a great sound!! and around your price range also!:smashin:

I know these get great reviews, both here and in mags, but is that mainly due to the sub?
Would a mix and match set up be better -maybe sub from BK or SVS with Monitor Audio Radius speakers?

What do you think?

IanWilky

I know these get great reviews, both here and in mags, but is that mainly due to the sub?
Would a mix and match set up be better -maybe sub from BK or SVS with Monitor Audio Radius speakers?

What do you think?

I can recommend the Radius if it helps?

I use radius for the discrete look - completely happy with them. Why not demo a set, maybe R90's for fronts and surrounds, with a R225 or R180 centre?

Build and finish is excellent, and sound will not disappoint, I'm sure when used with an SVS or BK or equivalent will outperform your Bose setup many times over.

Good deals available too. Peter Tyson was offering discount vouchers on most of the range for use against future purchases last time i looked - this may help with the rest of your gear?

I wouldn't recommend the matching R360 sub - although it looks good, whilst not being poor it's not fantastic soundwise. I will shortly be researching a replacement for mine in the sub forum.

SteveAS

Novice Member
I demo'ed the kef egg 3005.1s a while back partnered with denon amp kit and didn't like the sound as it sounded muffled. Bass from the sub wasn't powerful or controlled either (more like a drone).

I ended up buying blind with the svs 5.1 system. Do a search and you might find my review somewhere, but I am very happy with the svs, although the speakers are NOT satellites the centre speaker is by far an impressive performer IMO.

Obviously, the sb12+ sub is no slouch in the slamming dept. but there's already plenty praise for it in the subwoofers forum so I don't need to say much more about it.

Good luck with your quest.

elvetost

Quad L-ite is a good composed system. The speakers are definetely not large and the subwoofer is a 10" offering (ie smaller box). The quality of the drivers is very good for the money and the finish typical Quad beauty! I would definetely give them a listen before I made my mind up. Needless to say I am running Quads my self(the bigger brothers) and am very very pleased with my purchase indeed!:clap:
The L-ite falls nicely within your price range too! Good luck ,Chris:hiya:

iainsilvester

....although the speakers are NOT satellites the centre speaker is by far an impressive performer IMO.

Good luck with your quest.

Aren't they?

A satelllite is just a bass limited design, needing a sub to extend the lower frequencies. Sats come in all shapes and sizes, and prices and quality. SVS excellent sats.

Andori

I think Steve meant that they are not diddy little pretty lifestyle speakers that have a good WAF that a lot of people would think of as being what satellite speakers are, but that they are a big black box that SWMBO will take exception to having a number of dotted around the living room. (I didn't think that they were "that" big :))

iainsilvester

I think Steve meant that they are not diddy little pretty lifestyle speakers that have a good WAF that a lot of people would think of as being what satellite speakers are, but that they are a big black box that SWMBO will take exception to having a number of dotted around the living room. (I didn't think that they were "that" big :))

Yeah I know. Ironically I have a dedicated HC where anything would have been ok and ended up with probably one of the most discrete installs :)

The SVS are great and I agree hardly large, but then we don't know each others living rooms/SWMBO's :D

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Ive shown the missus pictures of the SVS and sub lites and I keep getting a resounding 'nope, they're ugly' from her ( I'm sure theres a good reason I keep her around, besides making sure my wallet stays lite), although I think the SVS speakers are small and I dont think she's getting the picture with these.
Partly because of her, I'm thinking of going down the route of the new Kef 3005se's, but almost everyone can recomend better (based on the 2005.x and 3005's) and almost always one of these two brands. I'm really unhappy with the Bose mid range, and the fact the bass unit sometimes looses track of what its doing, keeping that in mind, do I seriously need to demo the SVS and sub lites when I chek out the Kef's.
Dont pull punches!:D

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Pulling no punches?

Don't bother with the Kefs at all.

Get the SVS with an SVS sub, unless you're willing to move into serious money territory.

And get some balls.

(Only joking on the last line, I come out with it regularly ;) )

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Pulling no punches?

Don't bother with the Kefs at all.

Get the SVS with an SVS sub, unless you're willing to move into serious money territory.

And get some balls.

(Only joking on the last line, I come out with it regularly ;) )

LOL, trouble is there too empty (so thats the reason). The new 3005se's are supposed to be better, but I'm definatly going to check out the SVS I think, I'd rather be satisfied and take a little moaning than be unhappy again.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Well, if you're near Brum, you're welcome to come and have a listen mate :smashin:

I'd rather invite strangers into my house than have them make a mistake :)

I'm willing to stake it all against the Kefs :smashin:

Unfortunately, the only place to properly demo the SVS is in Kent.

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
hmmm, well, i'm about ten mins from alton towers, not a million miles away. I think I'll have a word with the local dealership and see what he thinks, even though he does seem to favour the Kef's

Cheers

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
:)

Got a mate in Tean and another in Uttoxeter (sp).
and working at Staffs uni ATM :)

I digress though.
The offer's there mate, absolutely no problem :smashin:

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
I forgot, there is no way a dealer will recommend SVS.
There is only one dealer for the UK.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung's 110-inch Micro LED TV on pre-order at Harrods
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen introduces Beosound Emerge speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches native 4K VPL-VW290ES and VW890ES projectors
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 14th April 2021