Question Need Help Buying First Gaming Rig

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Clunny, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Clunny

Clunny
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, just looking for some advice about getting a new gaming desktop. My last pc was an Alienware M11X R1 laptop, good but not the most powerful rig out there. Was great because I was moving around a lot, but now I am looking for something a bit more powerful. My budget at the moment is between £900 - £1,100 and I have been reading a lot of reviews on pre-built gaming PCs. Here are the top 3 I have found, but I just have a few questions.

There is also the elephant in the room question, why not build one? To be honest, I have a basic understanding of computers but I do not know which components are compatible with which, so I don't feel comfortable spending a load of money on parts and messing it up later on.

So my questions are these: 1. Can anyone specifically recommend any of these PCs? 2. When purchasing these rigs, you have the options of customising parts. Is there anything I should really be looking to upgrade from the default parts? 3. Is it worth getting a PC built by someone else if I provide all the parts?

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +12,095
    PCpartpicker is an excellent site to spec a PC. I believe it will also tell you if components you have selected are not compatible. Then YouTube has a ton of videos on building a PC.

There are two basic things with PCs, don't force the CPU in, it should just drop in. If a cable won't fit, find a place where it does. It's pretty much impossible to put a cable in the wrong place on a motherboard.

3. SH Dan

SH Dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    One thing don't be scared of building your own computer, not a lot can go wrong these days and it will allow you to get a lot better bang for your buck, with that budget you could get something quite a bit better than those pre-built systems. If you require any assistance choosing parts for your computer feel free to drop me a message and I'll be more than happy to assist you.

4. bocty

bocty
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Clunny I recommend building your own as well. One of the main reasons why I went for building my own (a few weeks ago) was that I had control over which parts went into the build so I could lay room for further upgradability in the future which I didn't have with the last pre-built computer I purchased.
    With your budget the graphics card should be at least a gtx 970 or the AMD r9 390
    In the UK I found http://pricespy.co.uk/ to be one of the best price comparison website for components