Need help buying a 32" TV

LayeAF

Standard Member
Hi guys, I'm in the market for a new 32 inch tv for the bedroom but unfortunately I have no idea where to even start!

I know I can't expect much at that size, however it's just not an option to get anything bigger due to it being in a box room, otherwise I would.

The main use of the TV will be to play on a PS5 and also streaming.

Any help or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Dodgexander

A popular choice on here seems to be one of LGs 32" models. They still sell a 32" FHD one in a few places. Its a 2019 model, but most 32 inchers are not refreshed year to year.

You can't get anything decent at small sizes, so its not really a good investment of time trying to compare one TV to another since they are all bottom of the barrel models. I'd personally go for the cheapest Samsung/TCL/Hisense/LG and put your expectations on the low side so you aren't disappointed.

LayeAF

Standard Member
A popular choice on here seems to be one of LGs 32" models. They still sell a 32" FHD one in a few places. Its a 2019 model, but most 32 inchers are not refreshed year to year.

You can't get anything decent at small sizes, so its not really a good investment of time trying to compare one TV to another since they are all bottom of the barrel models. I'd personally go for the cheapest Samsung/TCL/Hisense/LG and put your expectations on the low side so you aren't disappointed.
Hi there, thanks for the reply

These were 3 I was previously looking at. I know you said there's not much point in comparing but which would you say is best for gaming/streaming and why? They're pretty similar in price.

Also, I notice you didn't mention Sony. Is there any particular reason as to why you don't recommend them?

vickster

Distinguished Member
I have the 32LM6300 in the bedroom, TV no gaming. 2019 FHD model
£299 from Hughes although might now be sold out (Argos also had but poor availability) or you could go returb with warranty

It might also be the same model in your Currys link, with a retailer specific model number?
Has the catch up apps unlike the 2020 models.
Sony were much more (I think I paid £250 for the LG from RS, 6 yr warranty) and the Samsung you’ve linked has a rep for dropping its saved Wi-fi connections, an unnecessary annoyance

Last edited:

mikej

Also, I notice you didn't mention Sony. Is there any particular reason as to why you don't recommend them?

As far as I can tell, many (if not all) of the 32" Sony models date back many years (some as far back as 2016 !), yet they're expensive and badly lacking in apps according to the reviews. This may not be an issue if you're gaming and planning to use an external device for your streaming though.

Dodgexander

These were 3 I was previously looking at. I know you said there's not much point in comparing but which would you say is best for gaming/streaming and why? They're pretty similar in price.
I wish I could help but I don't think any will standout compared to the other. Specs are misleading, don't tell the whole story so comparisons are mostly faux.

With TVs, you rely on things like user feedback, professional reviews...its rare to find anything about smaller models today.

All we know is that they are all low-spec TVs, so they all perform more or less the same as one another. None are really suited for streaming because of their HDR capability, but if you are able to knock HDR off by streaming in HD instead it will be fine.

EDIT* here's a search on past threads:

You'll see its most of the same. Many people go for the LG FHD Model (LM63xx) and some go for Samsung's.

mikej

I have the 32LM6300 in the bedroom, TV no gaming. 2019 FHD model

It might also be the same model in your Currys link, with a retailer specific model number?

The LM6370 is actually an updated version for 2021. Spec appears the same as the LM6300 though :)

It's currently £250 from Currys along with the 720p version (the LM637B) which Argos and John Lewis are also selling.

mikej

LM6370 is not an updated version, its just the same TV sold with some different feature, or sold in different retailers.

M in the model indicates the year, 2019.
N was last year.
P this year.

Ah, OK. Thanks for that. I hadn't appreciated the LG model number chronology - I was just going on the LG/retailer sites which label it as 'New 2021'

LG 32LM6370PLA.JPG

Other 'New 2021' models do seem to have the 'UP' prefix, so the fact they've stuck with 'LM' for the 6370 really does suggest it's essentially the same as the 6300 as you said, with further evidence being identical EAN product codes. This does seem a very underhand way of LG claiming to have a new model and further proof (if any was needed) that many manufacturers really have all-but abandoned any kind of product development in the sub-32" TV market.

mikej

Hi there, thanks for the reply

I've been (casually) looking at replacing a couple of older, smaller kitchen and bedroom LCDs in my place for a while now and those Samsung and LG models you posted really do seem to be the 'best of a bad lot' at the moment.

FWIW, the Samsung doesn't have Bluetooth, Freeview Play or a Freesat tuner whereas the LG models do (as far as I can tell from the spec tables at least). I've also seen reports of adverts on the Samsung OS/guide and wi-fi issues. The LG sets aren't perfect though - their cheaper sets can sometimes suffer from a lack of memory issue when running apps, requiring the apps to be restarted or a reboot. I've seen this happen on my partner's 24" LG LCD which she bought last year.

If you go for the LG, the choice between the 720p LM637B and 1080p LM6370 will probably depend on the content you'll be watching - the only reason I can think of for choosing the 720p model is if you watch a lot of SD Freeview or DVDs but if you're mostly gaming and streaming, then presumably the LM6370 makes the most sense. If the missing features on the Samsung aren't an issue and you have it connected via ethernet, then the Samsung may also still be in the running.

Whichever you choose, I would try and buy from a retailer you can easily return it to in the event of problems and/or if you're not happy. Richer Sounds are still selling the 32" LM6300, so you'd get a 6 year warranty when compared to the 1 year if you buy the LM6370 from Currys.

The jury is still out for me - I'm not desperate for a new set, so it'll probably just come down to the price and/or warranty provided.

LayeAF

Standard Member
Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate it.

After considering my limited options I've decided to go up a size to 42/43. At first I didn't think it would look right in a box room but honestly I'd rather that than regret purchasing a 32" for the next few years. Back to the drawing board now.

vickster

Distinguished Member
43s aren’t much better at least if considering HDR

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Ah, OK. Thanks for that. I hadn't appreciated the LG model number chronology - I was just going on the LG/retailer sites which label it as 'New 2021'

View attachment 1532902

Other 'New 2021' models do seem to have the 'UP' prefix, so the fact they've stuck with 'LM' for the 6370 really does suggest it's essentially the same as the 6300 as you said, with further evidence being identical EAN product codes. This does seem a very underhand way of LG claiming to have a new model and further proof (if any was needed) that many manufacturers really have all-but abandoned any kind of product development in the sub-32" TV market.
They are deliberately misleading with most of their product catalogue. They sell TVs that aren't sold elsewhere to avoid having to price match other retailers. To get away with it, they make some small change to the model, usually something like the type of remote control included or the aesthetics of the TV.

With smaller TVs though they typically do not release new models year to year, so its normal to buy one a few years old. They still produce them, but they aren't refreshed each year like the UHD models are. Doesn't really matter so much at this end of the market, because most 'refreshed' low-range UHD models are basically copies of eachother anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom