Need help building my first gaming pc

Luckyjay431

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello thanks for taking the time to read this, chances are you'll know a thing or two about computers and how they work. I don't know that much. I am wanting to know weather it will be more cost effective to buy a gaming pc outright or to build one myself, I have been doing research and I feel pretty confident that I can do it. I have a list of parts that I would be using. I just need someone to help me out and tell me what they think. Any help is greatly appreciated as this is my first time doing anything like this and I have limited computer knowledge .Thankyou in advance

It is always more cost effective to do it yourself.

But, if you are new to computers, you may want to get one from a system builder where you will pay just a small premium to have it built and tested.

What is your budget?

Thankyou for the advice i am new to computers but I am confident I can do it, I just need to know if the parts I have in mind will work together and are the best for what I want, also would be handy to know if there are any cheaper ones with the same quality and outcome, thanks again

Ok, but we aren't psychic. :D

You need to tell us what parts you have in mind! :)

Yes I know that hahaha! I was just waiting for you to ask lol, so with me being new to this what I am about to say might make no sense at all to you but I came up with this list after doing some research.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G
RAM: Patriot Viper Elite 8GB DDR4-2400MHZ
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB
Hard Drive: Seagate Firecuda 1TB 3.5 inch internal SSHD
PSU: Corsair RM850X
Optical Drive: Asus 24x DVD-RW
Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix Z390-1 gaming
Case: Masterbox Q300L Micro-ATX

Let me know what you think please I'm trying to keep the cost down as much as possible but still be able to play games with amazing (but not the best) graphics

Erm the motherboard is Intel socket 1151 and you are going for a AMD cpu won't work also that is a quite expensive motherboard to use with that level of cpu.

Whats your total budget for the build ?

Edit: this would be a good start System Builder - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core, Radeon RX 570 8 GB Phantom Gaming X, 100R ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker United Kingdom

Or this with a better CPU and 16GB memory System Builder - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core, Radeon RX 570 8 GB Phantom Gaming X, 100R ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker United Kingdom

Last edited:
Erm the motherboard is Intel socket 1151 and you are going for a AMD cpu won't work also that is a quite expensive motherboard to use with that level of cpu.

Whats your total budget for the build ?

Edit: this would be a good start System Builder - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core, Radeon RX 570 8 GB Phantom Gaming X, 100R ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker United Kingdom

Or this with a better CPU and 16GB memory System Builder - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core, Radeon RX 570 8 GB Phantom Gaming X, 100R ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker United Kingdom

The PSU is overkill as well. A 650w PSU will be more than enough and save you between £35 - £55 depending on what you get. Use that towards buying a 256GB SSD and a 2TB HDD with the other cash you are likely to save optimising the build.

The PSU is overkill as well. A 650w PSU will be more than enough and save you between £35 - £55 depending on what you get. Use that towards buying a 256GB SSD and a 2TB HDD with the other cash you are likely to save optimising the build.

I know that's why i put a 650w in the 2 recommended builds ;)

Yeah you edited your post while I was writing mine. I would go for the second build but wouldn't bother with an optical drive and get a 256GB SSD instead of the Adata. 128GB really isn't enough nowadays.

I think the Ryzen 5 1600 (coz of the extra cores) or it's X variant is a better CPU for the money than the 3 2200G even though is an older part, assuming you can get one at a decent price as they're becoming scarce.

Last edited:
Yeah you edited your post while I was writing mine. I would go for the second build but wouldn't bother with an optical drive and get a 256GB SSD instead of the Adata. 128GB really isn't enough nowadays.

I think the Ryzen 5 1600 (coz of the extra cores) or it's X variant is a better CPU for the money than the 3 2200G even though is an older part, assuming you can get one at a decent price as they're becoming scarce.

I only put the optical drive in because the OP put one in his list originally, without knowing the budget it’s difficult to recommend stuff that’s why I also put the 128gb SSD

Ok now I just don't know what to do it's all so confusing, basically I just want to be able to play modern games on a decent computer with pretty good graphics, it doesn't have to be the best just decent and it has to not lag at all because I hate that, maybe I should just give up trying to build o e and just but one. Can you suggest a cheapish one I could buy that I can modify in the future to meet the needs of games as they get better plz thankyou so much

@Luckyjay431 Don't give up so easily we will steer you in the right direction. You still haven't given us a budget. Without that we are a bit in the dark about what would be best for you.

Your initial parts list costs around £700 - £800. If this is what you want to spend you can build a very capable gaming rig for that kind of money (not including Windows OS, monitor, keyboard and mouse).

don't forget fans for the case and the CPU

i have had a gaming pc for the last 20 years, my one piece of advice would be is prioritise your gpu it will give you the most bang for your buck, memory 8gig will be sufficient to get you up and running, likewise hard drive space, it can all be expanded when funds permit, do u really need an optical drive i havent put one in my gaming pc in years.
Go for it and good luck.

i have had a gaming pc for the last 20 years, my one piece of advice would be is prioritise your gpu it will give you the most bang for your buck, memory 8gig will be sufficient to get you up and running, likewise hard drive space, it can all be expanded when funds permit, do u really need an optical drive i havent put one in my gaming pc in years.
Go for it and good luck.
Dual channel makes a big difference in the majority of games nowadays, hence the suggestion of getting 2 x 8gb sticks

Go for it and good luck.

Thanks for the advice it's all just a bit overwhelming but I'm gonna give it a go I have around £400 atm will that be enough to start with I would like something that will play resident evil 2 is that going to be possible if I build a pc for £400? I am planning on upgrading parts in the future as well but for now I want the best I can get for £400

Thanks for the advice it's all just a bit overwhelming but I'm gonna give it a go I have around £400 atm will that be enough to start with I would like something that will play resident evil 2 is that going to be possible if I build a pc for £400? I am planning on upgrading parts in the future as well but for now I want the best I can get for £400

When i moved over to pc gaming about 3 years ago, i was like you, pretty sure i could put one together, just wasnt sure what worked with what, i have a bit more of an idea now, but not much lol

Anyway, one thing that helped me a lot was a site called "pcpartpicker"

You basically list the components you want, and it tells you if they are compatible, if not it will show you alternative parts that are compatible.

As you said you plan to upgrade parts over time, id highly recommend building one rather than buying one

When i moved over to pc gaming about 3 years ago, i was like you, pretty sure i could put one together, just wasnt sure what worked with what, i have a bit more of an idea now, but not much lol

Anyway, one thing that helped me a lot was a site called "pcpartpicker"

You basically list the components you want, and it tells you if they are compatible, if not it will show you alternative parts that are compatible.

As you said you plan to upgrade parts over time, id highly recommend building one rather than buying one

Yea thanks I've been looking at pcpartpicker and it's very helpful

Ok so I have came up with a new list of parts which will be relatively cheap I will be able to build this for around £400, but I'd like people's opinion if it will run today's games well or not etc thanks in advance
Here's the list:

Athlon 200GE
Gigabyte AB350
Patriot DDR4 8GB (2x4GB) 2666MHz
RX 570
120GB SSD
400w PSU
DIYPC M28-TG

Ok so I have came up with a new list of parts which will be relatively cheap I will be able to build this for around £400, but I'd like people's opinion if it will run today's games well or not etc thanks in advance
Here's the list:

Athlon 200GE
Gigabyte AB350
Patriot DDR4 8GB (2x4GB) 2666MHz
RX 570
120GB SSD
400w PSU
DIYPC M28-TG

I don't know if you just want to prove it to yourself that you can build a PC but there's lots of ready-made builds out there with warranty the one linked below you can change the graphics card for £5 extra to an RX 570 if that's what you want.

AWD Apex Legends 2300X Quad Core 4.0GHz GTX 1060 Desktop Gaming PC

Well thank you that looks great, but will it run resident evil 2 well?

And yea I kinda do want to get into building pcs but if there is a ready built one out there that will play the games I want for my budget that offers the option to upgrade parts in the future I wouldn't hesitate buying it

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom