Need help before I decide on DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by The Gadget Man, Nov 29, 2004.

1. The Gadget Man

The Gadget Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I am new to this forum, and also to dvd recorders but have read with interest all the info on the Sony HX900.
    Before I read this forum I was going out on Saturday to buy one, but now I am not so sure. I would like some further advice on whether I should still go for this one, or a top of the range JVC, Panasonic or Pioneer? I need it to record onto the hard drive with the best quality pictures, I would also use it to record on DVDs from TV and Video. It should also look good, as these machines are an expensive replacement for my VCR.
    So guys, any help from you with regard to your own choices before I go out armed with my hard earned cash? :lease:
    undefined

2. MikeUK

MikeUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the hx900 despite what Id read here. Reasons being: Sony reputation for build quality and reliability, 160gb hard drive, seemed a bargain at £519 from Total Digital. Id looked at Panasonic but the extra features (editting etc) seem superfluous to my needs. I use mine like a vcr just recording stuff Im not here to watch and anything I want to keep gets written to a disk. I wanted a top quality recording machine that would not let me down. Im confident I got that in the hx900.

3. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Best reason not to get the Sony is the lack of a DIVIDE function on the HDD.This means you cannot copy a block of shows off Sky+ and then divide them into individual programmes for editing and copying to dvd.This makes the large capacity of a HDD pretty pointless unless you intend it purely for watch and wipe.As a home dvd collectors tool,its hopeless.

4. MikeUK

MikeUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I disagree but respect your opinion. The timer will divide recordings albeit limited to 8 at a time.

5. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're recording two or more consecutive programmes on a non-commercial channel you'd have to get your timings spot on, especially if you don't use sky+.

6. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I realise the Timer will record individually,but thats hardly the point.
    The lack of a DIVIDE function makes it a necessity to do any recording one episode at a time.On a machine of this calibre,and at Sony's exorbitant prices the lack of DIVIDE is unforgiveable.
    Assuming you record on Sky+(you don't want red dots all over the place)then once you have got your 4 or 6 episodes of a series to transfer over to your HDD,you use COPY overnight or while you are away,and having to set the Timer simply to split each episode is ridiculous

7. The Gadget Man

The Gadget Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input guys,
    I dont have sky+ only sky, I will want to record movies from the sky movie channels straight onto hard drive, then onto DVD so the question is
    shall I still go for the Sony or is there a better alternative?
    Mike.

8. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the Sony had a play-list function then you could use it to divide. But it doesn't do play-lists. Also the lack of FR is very disappointing. :thumbsdow

9. The Gadget Man

The Gadget Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry but what is FR :confused:
    If you guys are against the Sony then what do you suggest as a top alternative?

10. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FR is Flexible Recording. Automatic or manual adjustment of the bit rate to get the maximum space usage of a DVD.

Difficult to answer this one when one of your requirements is for it to “look good” as that’s very subjective. I suggest you consider:

Toshiba RD-XS32 – records –R/-RW (video) & RAM. Good all rounder.
    Pioneer DVR 720H - records –R/-RW (VR & video). Rated highly.
    Panasonic DMR-E95 –records -R/RAM. Probably edges the other 2 for pic quality but doesn’t record to rewriteable compatible discs.

11. The Gadget Man

The Gadget Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok lets forget the looking good, lets concentrate on the ease of use, the picture & sound quality, and the transfering of a movie to DVD.

I get the notion that I will not be able to copy a full lenght film on to 1 DVD anyway is this correct?

So the bottom line is ?????

12. MikeUK

MikeUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont see what the big deal is with divide. I set the timer using videoplus and watch from hdd. If I decide to keep anything it goes on a disk. I use my 900 as a 21st century vcr. If I want to edit I use my PC which is a very rare occasion. It seems Gadget Man has a similar need of a machine so thats why I spoke up.

13. Ozxplorer

Ozxplorer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MikeUK, you might be missing the point here, it has little to do with editing as I prefer to edit on the PC. Let's say there's a 5hr marathon program (especially on PayTV like Sky) you want to record. If you just want to watch and wipe, you could set the one timer for 5hrs on HQ mode. But if you set 5 timers at 1hr each, you'll have breaks in the program, losing a few seconds continuity (which could be rather annoying).

Anyway if you decide to archive to disk, you won't be able to keep the 5hr program at HQ mode when transferring to one DVD. If you set 5 timers, you could transfer the 1hr segments to 5 DVDs but you'll have breaks in between. This is why the lack of DIVIDE function is such a ridiculous omission. Maybe it's not a big deal for you if the picture quality drops from 1hr to 5hr mode but most owners would like to keep the same quality when archiving to DVD....

14. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    If you want to devide the 5 hours into 1 hour slots could you edit it on the pc after :confused:

15. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Gaget Man,

I too started looking at the HX900. My advice would be to make sure you understand this issue of Divide/Playlists, and understand want you will want to do.

For me, I don't expect to do a lot of "fancy" editing... I use a PC for DVD authoring.. but I do want to be able to record a long program (e.g. a baseball game, which averages 3 hours but can be 5 hours or more) at high quality, and SOMETIMES later archive this to DVD (also at high quality, or at least my chosen quality). So I might put a 3 hour game on 2 discs; for 5 hours I might use 3 disks.. whatever. With the Sony, I can't do this. I could copy the entire game onto a single disc, but if it is 5 hours the quality could be quite poor. I decided I needed this function.

You could have the same issue with movies; if you record a 3 hour movie to HDD and then want to save it to DVD, you'll be able to put that movie on a single DVD, but not split it on to two to get higher quality.

A workaround is to set multiple timers; but you have to decide this in advance, the Sony only has 8 timers, and there may be a delay between one timer ending and the other starting.

I went for the Toshiba XS-32. It does have a smaller (80GB) HDD though.

Mark

16. MikeUK

MikeUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I take your point. The only thing Ive put onto dvd anywhere near that duration is a rugby match but even that only lasts for 80 minutes. The pre-amble, half time and after match chat isnt that important to me and usually gets trimmed using the a-b edit. I don`t copy/archive films, I either watch and wipe or buy the dvd. So, the divide feature is one I havent needed and dont foresee needing anytime soon.

17. The Gadget Man

The Gadget Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks to you all for your input regarding the various players, I will make my decision soon.
    Mike.