Need help as a beginning buyer for Receiver and Sound system, any help appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

likwidsolutions

Standard Member
Reaction score
I posted this on the speaker board as well as I wasn't sure which to post on since my topic kind deals with both.

So I just bought a new 1080p Sony Googly TV, 40 inch LED, really nice. I have a 360 via HDMI, My Wii via Component, my Boxee Box (a media player) via HDMI, and I'm thinking of buying a PS3 or Bluray player, but if I do it will be well after I buy a Receiver and speakers. I DONT have cable nor plan to ever get it, I get every show I want by other means and play it via Boxee Box up to 1080p, so I'm covered, and don't really need Bluray.

Here's the reason I want a receiver: I really want some nice speakers to connect to my television for gaming and movies/tv shows. It doesn't need to be 5.1 Surround Sound, because right now I can't spend enough money on a nice set of 5 speakers and a receiver. The thing is, I want the audio to be digital, using an optical cable, so that's another requirement.

Would this receiver be enough for what I want to do with it? I don't know much about this, which is why I am asking:

Amazon.com: Pioneer VSX-521-K 5.1 Home Theater Receiver, Glossy Black: Electronics

I realize it's super cheap, but it has iPad and iPhone connectibility, which is nice, and 4 HDMI ports, 2 AV ports, 3 Component, but the audio stuff I don't know about.

I want to get 2 large speakers to put side by side with my TV, and a subwoofer. Can I get recommendations on starter speakers? Can I start off buying 2 speakers and a subwoofer, then upgrade to another 3 to add Surround sound? Or do I have to buy a complete set for 5.1.

What are the cons of this receiver, besides no bluetooth connectibility, which I don't really need (universal remotes would be a nice touch for that though), and lack of 7.1 surround sound (which I don't need to worry about because I can't afford that many speakers or have that much noise in my house.

So any advice on beginning purchases for Receivers and sound systems would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the TV I have if it makes any difference: Sony NSX-40G1

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
You have replies on the thread in the Speaker Forum.

Please do not Cross Post ie create new threads in more than one forum.You should pick the single most appropriate forum for your message.

K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom