Need help and guidance on a Projector sub £700

MikDGTR

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, Im new to the forum and have been browsing alot of the topics in my crazed search for a new projector to go in my Man Pit!!

I say crazed as the market seems flushed with so many different models with so many different options. I am completely new to projectors and finding all this information kind of overwhelming.

I understand alot of the terminology now thanks to endless reading of articles and this forum however I am a firm believer of when dealing with audio/visual the only way to know is by sitting in front of or listening to them. Which unfortunately doesnt seem to be an option in many shops as you can with Televisions. I am a technical nutter and have just purchased a Panny P55VT 3D plasma for the front room and it is an awesome machine...

Anyway, please please please give me any guidance on the following models or if there is another model that I should focus towards please put it below:

Benq 703d - Very little information on this however one discerning article in the French press. Comes with 720p and Full 3D
Benq W1100 - A full HD 1080p but no 3D
Optoma GT750 - Classified as a gaming PJ but seems to be an all rounder but again 720p and Full 3D
Optoma HD230x - Seems to get good reviews full HD 1080p but no 3D.

It would seem that I cannot simply get a FullHD and Full 3d (Or even 3D ready) for the price I have...

Heeeellllpppppp!!!!

It would seem that I cannot simply get a FullHD and Full 3d (Or even 3D ready) for the price I have...

You hit the nail on the head:)

You need to either up your budget to between £908-990 to get a 1080p 3D machine with either of the models below (and you will still need to fork out for glasses) or decide whether you want 3D @ 720p or 1080p with no 3D.The choice is yours.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006CQYL...de=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B006CQYLVA

OPTOMA HD300x Full HD DLP

For the cheapest 1080p the Optoma 230x @ £599/Benq W1100 @ £760 or 720p 3D The Optoma GT750 Or Acer 5360bd both mid £500's.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I looked at the Acer 5360bd but that was only 3D ready...

Im really going round and round trying to decide what would give me the most entertainment 720p or 3D. Is the 3D on these projectors better than the Panny I have? Im wanting to get that cinema 3D feling where it really comes out at you and if that cannot be achieved with these then I might as well go for the 1080p

The 3D pop is movie dependent in other words some do and some don't.There are a lot of movies that were made in 2D and converted these are usually without much pop.

I thought the 5360bd will do 3D from bluray but not with sky but I could be wrong.

It will be fine with sky as it has a sbs mode , and as kbfern said pop out all depends on what your watching and a 720 projector will do pop out fine but 1080p is a lot better if you can stretch your budget it's worth doing

Last edited:
What would you guys go for then 720p and the prospect of 3D or the high def of 1080p?

I would go for 1080p 2d

I love 3d but most of your viewing will be 2d so it's better to get the 1080p projector

I would also go for 2D as 3D is no biggie for me, I much prefer the extra resolution over 3D.Having said that I watch bluray movies 100% of the time on my projector apart from the occasional big sports event using my HD freeview box.

And I must say that the blurays are much better than the 1080i broadcasts on freeview.

MikDGTR said:
What would you guys go for then 720p and the prospect of 3D or the high def of 1080p?

What's screen size to viewing distance?

The screen I am going for is between 80 and 100", the projector will be about 80 to 100" (ceiling mounted) from screen and I will be sat 3mtrs away (120").

Thats the plan :)

For a 100" diagonal screen 1080p is ok for viewing from 10ft, I have 100" and view from 8-9ft.

If you dropped down to 80" (but who would want to:D) you could get away with 720p from 10ft viewing position.

MikDGTR said:
The screen I am going for is between 80 and 100", the projector will be about 80 to 100" (ceiling mounted) from screen and I will be sat 3mtrs away (120").

Thats the plan :)

I would say that 3m from a 120" diagonal screen would be a bit in the big side. But each to their own and u might find it comfortable, but most would say the screen would be too big for that seating distance.

Hi Raine he was saying he would be 3m (which is approx 120") seated away from an 80"-100" screen not that the screen would be 3m diag.

The projector will need to be a min 3mtrs throw (throw= distance from lens to screenface) to get an 80" diag and probably nearer to 12ft to get a 100" size screen with most short throw projectors.

Take a look at proj central screen calculator for checking out what different projectors can throw from different distances.

Projection Calculator Pro - Projector to Screen Distance

If you want 1080p and 3D I'd wait a couple of months and save up a but more I've got a TW6000 and love it and the HD33 is really good too if you don't see/find the rainbow effect annoying. I think for what you want a little more patience will serve you better than giving into the G.A.S now and regretting it later.

thanks guys for all the advice so far, but it seems im not going to gt the clear cut get this one (as kbfern stated in his first post)... It would seem that my best bet would be to wait a little longer and get a full HD and Full 3D option!! This will be a big test as I do not have patience!!

Raine - Out of interest which projector have you got?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom