• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Need help and advice upgrading/customising current receiver setup

SwiftAssassin

Standard Member
Hi guys long time follower of Avforums.

K my current predicament is I have a Sony STR-DE475 with a Sony SA-VE705 speaker system(stop giggling I know there old). I have a sky+HD box/ps3/xbox360 and Samsung LE-F86 tv(not fussed on connecting tv to receiver).

Unfortunately my receiver only has 1 optical input so I was looking into possibly a quick fix of this:- InLine® 4x2 Active Digital Audio TOSlink Optical Selector Switch

But ive been looking into possibly upgrading the outdated receiver but with the 12year gap in technology I honestly don't know what I need to look for in a new receiver or even where to start :rolleyes: so my main questions are:-

1:- what about the switch?
2:- If I went the new receiver route could I keep my speakers?
3:- I would probably have a budget max of £300 for a new setup

Any help/input or where to start looking would be greatly appreciated thx guys :)

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The optical switch will work so that is an option. As long as your current sub is active and the speakers are above 4 ohm impedance then they can be used with any av receiver. The sony 1030 would be an option for a replacement.

SwiftAssassin

Standard Member
The optical switch will work so that is an option. As long as your current sub is active and the speakers are above 4 ohm impedance then they can be used with any av receiver. The sony 1030 would be an option for a replacement.

Thanks for the input :D I checked my speakers and sub and there 8 ohms and active sub, so it looks like im good to keep my speakers and just replace the amp if I take that route.
I also looked at the sony 820 and 520 series which seem pretty good. But is there somewhere where I can see a quick comparison of diff price range receivers all in one place, there just seems to be an info overload over the net and my heads still spinnin from all the info out there :/ Is there any particular spec I should make sure any amp I get definitely has?

Another quick question when using these new hdmi receivers is it just a matter of switching on the receiver between each hdmi connection if u have more than 1 hdmi hardware active? Also if switching hdmi input is sound and vision dealt with 1 switch or is sound and vision switched separately?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom