1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help And Advice On Choosing New Television

Discussion in 'TVs' started by MattLFC, Dec 8, 2004.

1. MattLFC

MattLFC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hello Everyone!

I need help finding a new television and because of my recent experience, I would like to know your opinions.

I bought a Thomson 28WH403S from Comet, however this arrived with massive screen problems (it was very dark in the corners even after degaussing by a Comet engineer and has various screen stains). After a somewhat terrible experience with Comet customer services, I decided to buy a new one from Unbeatable.co.uk. Unfortunatly, this one also arrived with stains on the screen and darker patches. Although I tried to live with it, it was very irritating and today I have phoned up Unbeatable who are going to pick up the Television on Friday and refund me on Monday. Whilst this TV had exceptional picture quality, the numerous stains on the screens let it down. I was extremely please with it, but I don't want to risk getting another Thomson and recieving one with the same fault.

I also do not want to get anything other than 100Hz as I now find 50Hz flickers too much and my migraines decreased since going to 100Hz.

So now I am looking at getting one of a range of other televisions. Here are my current choices:

Panasonic TX-28PM11 28" 100Hz

Empire Direct - £368.72 incl VAT & Delivery - http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/Content/Products/Details/index.asp?modelcode=PAN-TX28PM11C&bhcp=1

Samsung WS28M066VG 28" 100Hz

QED.co.uk - £329.22 incl VAT & Delivery - http://www.qed-uk.com/q/index.html?vp=6&bg=166&bp=28m066s&bi=0&ird=1405

Toshiba 28ZH46P 28" 100Hz

RGB Direct - £368.28 incl VAT & Delivery - http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/Referrer.asp?SKUNumber=102026

Toshiba 28ZH46S 28" 100Hz

Digital Direct UK - £368.28 incl VAT & Delivery - http://www.digitaldirectuk.com/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=4889

Now I personally think the Panasonic will be the best TV of the lot, but I am not sure, I would like to see other peoples opinions. Also, I would like recommendations on any other 100Hz 28" WS TV's upto £400. The TV's must have S-Video In (for laptop) and Composite Video In (for DVD) as well as a minimum of 1 RGB scart (for a switcher Scart box with Sky+, JVC SuperVHS VCR and Dreamcast). I dont really give a toss about the internal sound as I use my Technics SC-DV290 for my surround sound.

Also, do you think it is really worth waiting until 27th December now for the sales, or do you think the TV's will be the same price then?

Many thanks in advance!

PS. Going back to my trusty 13 year old Philips 25" TV when they pick up the Thomson on Friday :D

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    ok first off composite for DVD will look rubbish..... (do you mean component? red, green, blue RCA inputs)
    for £400 quid my vote goes to the....JVC 28P37
    http://www.be-direct.co.uk/productDetails.asp?referer=pricerunner&id=13736&affiliate=pricerunner
    £420 at BE-direct but shop around to get one under £400

PS it uses DIST and thats 75 HZ (dont be scared none of the 50Hz flicker and none of the 100Hz smearing on fast moving objests has component input for best PQ from DVD and has plenty of inputs

3. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    matty4donna

Well, I have to say I sympathise with the problems you had about the "stained screen" or as I think they refer to it here as "dirty screen".

I too had numerous problems on a 50hz 32" CRT Panasonic that I bought from Currys (model number TX32PS500).. I had the "stains" or static grey patches which were extremely noticeable upon viewing bright panning images and were extremely off putting. I also had purity errors (patches of green in the right hand corners of the screen). Had one set deguassed which did no good at all - then I eventually tried another set - which was even worse!

I bought these as I say from Currys (and if you ever buy anything major from this retailer and it goes wrong - heaven help you - I had an awful time with them - I would never ever buy anything from this retailer ever again)

Anway, sorry, I digress:

Panasonics of this model (TX32PS500) did seem to suffer even in the showroom with very noticeable stains on the screen and indeed purity errors in the corners.

So much so in fact, this put me of pannosonic and I went for a more expensive 32" CRT Sony set (100hz) which is lovely and hardly suffers at all from the stains or purity errors that the Panosonic did.

So, my personal experience would be to stay away from Pannys for these reasons (having tried two and also seeing them up against other makes in the showrooms)

I bought my Sony set from a local dealer in the end who's customer service was brilliant.

Although it really all goes on peoples opinions, I do feel Sony's perform better on Dirty Screen/stains. I know loads of people will probably say they have had problems with Sony's etc.. so it's difficult to know what to go for in the end. I would say try and view the sets or makes in a tv showroom first before buying online.

Regards

Paul

4. MattLFC

MattLFC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes I meant component input hehe.

Looks good, its is cheaper here - http://www.allders.com/id-6152/Product.go

Where it says "Component input compatible with HD 1125i format" does this mean it will be compliant with future HDTV services?

Also, it says 5 year free guarantee and includes the stand, so this makes it even better.

Do you know what the remote is like? Will it be able to control my JVC SuperVHS VCR as they are the same make?

I suppose the price we see on there won't be any less at that price after Christmas.

It will deffinatly be up alongside the Panasonic now.

Thanks for pointing me to that TV, it looks great!

PS. What baffles me is how so many new and expensive CRT televisions can have various problems, whereas my mum who paid £260 about 3 - 4 years ago for a crappy 28" Bush TV from Tesco has had flawless performance and no faults (and the picture is surprisingly good too). And my age old Philips is still plodding away without faults, although it starting to lose some of the brightness now.

5. jtf

jtf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i've got he panasonic tx-28pm1 and its been fine. even with my pioneer 575a dvd player and it only cost me £325, bargain

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    matty4donna the JVC is great and would be compatible with HDTV but unfortunatley Sky are only going to use Digital connectivity with copy protection so wont work with that TV (blame SKY not the TV)

7. MattLFC

MattLFC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the info. I assume it will still be compatible with the likes of HDTV films offered by future formats such as HD-DVD and BluRay?

Thanks!

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    yes as long as they have analogue component outputs

9. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That's strange as i had brilliant service from them,until a mastercare engineer turned up to do the recall and wrecked the set!! was your TV less than 28 day' sold? I've had THREE FS76U's all replaced under their 28 day scheme(the first one was two months old when the tube went) and TWO HQ100's replaced with no hassle at all.I think you have to give them stick if it's outside of 28 day's but they will buckle ;)

10. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The tv was indeed within 28 days - the first Panny I had replaced because of purity problems was within about 21 days. The second set I had was complained about within 1 Day as it's purity problems and "dirty screen" looked even worse than the original one I had complained about.

Ironically, I got better service from the Mastercare engineer, who (unusually) was on my side and hyped up the problem in order to get it changed.

My problems with Curry's started when I demanded a full refund - the absolute idiots who work in there kept me waiting for 4 HOURS in store whilst they tried in vain to refund my money (apparently they have "new tills" in there now) - even after 4 hours I left empty handed. They also look my receipt documents and said they would post them to me. Well, after about 3 weeks and constant chasing them via their head office they sent them back to me - minus any postage so I had to pay the postage and handling charge to get my documents back. I think this was definately done on purpose - they are absolutely awful and if you do a google search under "Curry's" and "complaints" you will end up with no end of horror stories about them

So, if you got brilliant service from them, then all I can say is, you are very lucky !!!