Need help and advice on a new TV please

I'd be keen on the LGC1 65" to get a 65" but for the stand. Same with the C2. I wish these were very dark grey or black. Can't stand the silver stands.
The stand for the C1 and C2 is black/grey. The photography of it makes its semi reflective surface appear to be silver, which, in reality, it certainly isn't.

The only problem you might encounter with stand of the C1, and I suspect the C2, is that, in common with other recent models it means the TV sits very low on your furniture. The distance leaves very little space for a soundbar placed directly in front of it, unless you can find an extremely narrow one or are not bothered if the bar partly shields the lowest part of the screen. There are several discussions, and solutions, already on the Forum. I tailor-made a painted wood plinth/base to raise the TV slightly so I could use a Sonus Beam soundbar without obstructing the lower part of the screen.

Last edited:
The stand for the C1 and C2 is black/grey. The photography of it makes its semi reflective surface appear to be silver, which, in reality, it certainly isn't.
I'd need to see one in real life (which isn't easy for me) to be sure

I'd need to see one in real life (which isn't easy for me) to be sure
To be sure of what? It isn't silver. In fact I think you would be hard pressed to find any TVs today with a silver stand.

It could change if you plan on using another console in the future, but other devices are unlikely to run at 4k 120hz since the source frame rate of video is a lot lower.
The bezels are so thin on the OLEDs I doubt you'd even notice what colour they are.

The most economical way to buy is with a TV and soundbar separate. Go for the cheaper A80J and add a soundbar later if needed.
Is there a goto brand for high-quality HDMI 2.0/2.1 cables these days?

It could change if you plan on using another console in the future, but other devices are unlikely to run at 4k 120hz since the source frame rate of video is a lot lower.
The bezels are so thin on the OLEDs I doubt you'd even notice what colour they are.

The most economical way to buy is with a TV and soundbar separate. Go for the cheaper A80J and add a soundbar later if needed.
What's your take on the Samsung Neo QLEDs vs OLED, and LG QNED Mini LED vs OLED?

What's your take on the Samsung Neo QLEDs vs OLED, and LG QNED Mini LED vs OLED?
Samsung's Neo QLEDs and LGs QNEDs are marketing terms for their LCD TVs. The Samsung QN94A and QN95A compare in different ways to OLED and offer a viable alternative. LG LCD TVs are behind the curve since they are still using IPS type panels and are best avoided. You should decide on which display tech suits you the most before contemplating TVs like the QN94A or QN95A. Many people want to avoid the usual LCD traits these TVs carry such as blooming and worse screen uniformity but on the other hand their sheer brightness can make for a more striking picture with HDR than OLED.

If you'd be happy with a C1, you'd be more than happy with an A80J.

The A90J occupies a rare higher tier and the A80J is more than bright enough for an OLED.

What are the differences between the Sony A80J and A84J ?

The only thing I could find was "Rich Color Enhancer". But that doesn't make much sense, a different model just for one feature. There must be more differences, maybe something fundamentally different? The panel??

There are no picture quality differences. The A84J is a variation of the same model sold with different aesthetics in certain stores.

This is very common with TVs; they often have retailer exclusive models which disguise themselves to look better with a higher model number despite being the same TV. The advantage to this for retailers is of course you don't have to price match with other retailers if you're selling an identical model with a different model number.

There are no picture quality differences. The A84J is a variation of the same model sold with different aesthetics in certain stores.

This is very common with TVs; they often have retailer exclusive models which disguise themselves to look better with a higher model number despite being the same TV. The advantage to this for retailers is of course you don't have to price match with other retailers if you're selling an identical model with a different model number.
What's the Rich Color Enhancer ? - it's in the spec differences on the Sony website.

What's the Rich Color Enhancer ? - it's in the spec differences on the Sony website.
They both have it, there are no picture quality differences. It's a mistake on their website.
The only difference seems to be built in mic to the TV, although I'm pretty sure this is a mistake also:

Both TVs will have a mic in the remote control.

When there's a difference in model number across a range, it typically doesn't result in any picture quality differences. This is true of all TVs.

The A80K and if you can find an A80J it will be significantly cheaper and 99% just as good.

The A80K is OLED, not QD-OLED? Is that right? Are we likely to see a move from OLED more towards QD-OLED in 2023?

The A80K is OLED, not QD-OLED? Is that right?

Yes, that's correct.

QD-OLED will probably be more prevalent next year but most likely still at a premium price. It will be a few years before it filters down to being the "normal" standard.

I have a 2019 Sony OLED. It's excellent and I wouldn't change it just for a QD-OLED. It will get changed when I want to go bigger and moved to another room or when it goes pop.

Unless you were looking at my 2019 OLED TV, a 2021 OLED and a 2022 QD OLED in the same room at the same time with the same content on it, you would be perfectly happy with any of them regarding picture quality. The differences are minimal.

I'm torn as to what to do. If I went for the Sony 2022 QD OLED, I'll be waiting until later in the year or next year. Too expensive at the moment. I'm considering the 55" A90J. With the LGs, the C1 would enable me to get 65", or wait until later in the year/next year for the C2.

Does the way that Sony do the sound affect the screen panel? How exactly does that work?

I'd like to avoid a soundbar if possible, as that's more ££ and I don't want to contend with any potential sync issues.

Does either the Sony or LG excel more for vocal clarity than the other? I'm slightly hard of hearing so clarity and clarity at loud volumes are important for me.

I'm slightly hard of hearing so clarity and clarity at loud volumes are important for me.

I'm the same and couldn't be without a soundbar or AVR.

I wouldn't rely on TV audio and also wouldn't spend the extra on a TV with better audio as if the TV goes phut you need to buy another overly expensive TV again, whereas if you'd bought a TV and soundbar, you only have to replace the TV.

If you're considering the A90J or LG C1, you should also be considering the A80J.

The A90J is more graded to compete with the G1/G2

Does the way that Sony do the sound affect the screen panel? How exactly does that work?
They use the TV screen as an acoustic surface. It doesn't affect the panel.
Nice thing about the A90J is you can connect an AVR up later and add more speakers and keep the TV as a centre speaker.

You will have to accept if you are looking for TVs with good built-in sound your money isn't going to stretch as far as it would if you bought separates.

But in my opinion sound is too much of an afterthought to most people anyway, and good sound should be just as much of a priority. You can achieve that with a cheaper TV and a soundbar or speakers without latency or issues, but you run the risk of some problems and possibly having to return soundbars if you get a problem.

For some context, my own TV in my living room right now is the Hisense U8G (American version) and I was dreading buying a soundbar or some speakers to pair with it because of all the reported issues with latency, cut outs etc.
I recently added the Klipsch Fives which is a stereo speaker system with HDMI ARC and it works flawlessly. I am sure there's some delay, but I don't notice it.

Sometimes you just gotta make a decision and try things out. Don't be too hesitant because you never know, things make work out better than you fear anyway.

They use the TV screen as an acoustic surface. It doesn't affect the panel.
Nice thing about the A90J is you can connect an AVR up later and add more speakers and keep the TV as a centre speaker.

You will have to accept if you are looking for TVs with good built-in sound your money isn't going to stretch as far as it would if you bought separates.

But in my opinion sound is too much of an afterthought to most people anyway, and good sound should be just as much of a priority. You can achieve that with a cheaper TV and a soundbar or speakers without latency or issues, but you run the risk of some problems and possibly having to return soundbars if you get a problem.

For some context, my own TV in my living room right now is the Hisense U8G (American version) and I was dreading buying a soundbar or some speakers to pair with it because of all the reported issues with latency, cut outs etc.
I recently added the Klipsch Fives which is a stereo speaker system with HDMI ARC and it works flawlessly. I am sure there's some delay, but I don't notice it.

Sometimes you just gotta make a decision and try things out. Don't be too hesitant because you never know, things make work out better than you fear anyway.
My thinking is, if I get a TV with reasonable-to-good sound quality, loud enough and good on dialogue, then I can always get a soundbar later if I wanted.

On my current Panasonic TV, I set the TV eq so that the bass is low and emphasize higher mids and highs to get dialogue to come through clearer (for my hearing!).

Do soundbars come with any EQ or controls, such as dynamic range control?

Do soundbars come with any EQ or controls, such as dynamic range control?
Some do, some don't. Depends on model to model.
If you buy one with a dedicated centre channel it shouldn't be a problem. Check in reviews for remarks on dialogue quality and night mode.

What do the retailers do if you get a 2021 model and then, a few months later, there's a problem with the TV but they can't supply a new replacement?

Outside of 30 days they aren't obliged to replace the TV. The contract is then between you and the manufacturer.

Manufacturers will seek to repair the TV, be that through the retailer or directly with you. If they can't repair, they are obliged to replace it with like for like. Sometimes if the TV is returned via the retailer and the manufacturer cannot repair, they will issue instruction to the store to replace the TV like for like or refund your money.

A lot of the time it's just a matter of having an engineer visit your home and carry out a repair.

On the Sony A95K, the stand has two positions: front position and back position:

a95k_bps.jpg

a95k_fps.jpg

With the back position style, does this need to be against a wall or can the TV be freestanding with the stand that way?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom