Need help and advice on a new TV please

dman2021

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a new TV to replace my current Panasonic TX-P42GT50

I need help and advice and any recommendations, please.

I've put some information together as to what I'm looking for.

Based in the UK.

Budget: upto £2000 GBP including VAT

Requirements:
  • 52” - 55”
  • 4K UHD
  • Excellent picture quality
  • Consistent lighting
  • Consistent viewing angles
  • Good blacks
  • Good audio quality
  • Audio equaliser
  • Clear speech
  • Gain adjustment for different sources
  • Dynamic range control preferred
  • Compatible for a soundbar (a future purchase)

Needs to support inputs for:

• Amazon Fire TV (4K Firestick)
  • Sky+ HD (HDMI) - to be replaced at some future time with SkyQ 4K
  • Blu Ray Player (HDMI)
  • PlayStation 4
  • PlayStation 3
  • Switch

Concerns:
  • Viewing angle - need good viewing angles off centre as for family viewing
  • Picture visibility in sunlight
  • Reflections
  • Screen calibration
  • Screen burn-in
  • Reliability
  • Longevity / life time

Questions:
  • How much of an issue is the viewing angle with LCD?
  • Should I just opt for OLED?
  • What’s the difference between 4 (HDMI 2.1 x 2) and 4 (HDMI 2.1 x 4) ?
  • Where to buy from?

Any help much appreciated. Thank you!

JZ2000 Panasonic or Philips 9 Series OLED. The former will have less ABL and get brighter, the latter better sound.

If you add your own soundbar or speaker system later, the JZ1500 suggested also fulfills a lot of your requirements as do some other high end OLEDs TV's such as the LG G1 or Sony A9J.

Even the Samsung QN95A or QN94A whilst not having as good viewing angles, still check a lot of your points if you add a separate sound system later.

Avoid 2022-23 models which have just been released and are currently overpriced, if you can wait until next year, or Black Friday this year, then they will be more affordable than now.

within your budget and defo will be an upgrade but may want to check out OLED motion first in shop

Is motion bad?

One of the reasons I got plasma back then is because I wasn't impressed with the LCD TVs at the time. Motion, viewing angles etc.

It's hard for me to go to a store as I live in a remoteish village and I'm severely physcially disabled.

The viewing angles is important for family viewing.

JZ2000 Panasonic or Philips 9 Series OLED. The former will have less ABL and get brighter, the latter better sound.

If you add your own soundbar or speaker system later, the JZ1500 suggested also fulfills a lot of your requirements as do some other high end OLEDs TV's such as the LG G1 or Sony A9J.

Even the Samsung QN95A or QN94A whilst not having as good viewing angles, still check a lot of your points if you add a separate sound system later.

Avoid 2022-23 models which have just been released and are currently overpriced, if you can wait until next year, or Black Friday this year, then they will be more affordable than now.
How does the LG OLED C2 55" 4K Smart TV compare?

What are the Samsung Neo QLED like for viewing angles? Do they compare well with OLEDs? Or are they not really much better?

Some deals on Amazon Prime Day (UK) but I've no idea if they're any good. Knowing where to get one from is a really stressful thing for me.

How does the LG OLED C2 55" 4K Smart TV compare?

What are the Samsung Neo QLED like for viewing angles? Do they compare well with OLEDs? Or are they not really much better?
These are 2022-23 models and don't compare currently because they are so overpriced. Look at the TV's in my guide. If you decide on LCD over OLED, Samsung have the QN94A and QN95A in the guide I mentioned in my last post.

These are 2022-23 models and don't compare currently because they are so overpriced. Look at the TV's in my guide. If you decide on LCD over OLED, Samsung have the QN94A and QN95A in the guide I mentioned in my last post.

Is £1499 a lot for the LG OLED C2 55" 4K Smart TV?

It's hard for me to judge and understand what's overpriced in the marketplace.

My question about the Samsung Neo QLED and their viewing angles was a general question about it on 2021 or 2022 models, and how this compares with OLEDs ...Or are the viewing angles on Neo QLED not really much better than LED LCD?

Yes, the C1 which is almost as good as the C2 is a lot less. Current pricing over 2022-23 models is high, but its normal for these models to be priced the same at this time. It's the same every year.

As for viewing angles, I'd rate them average on Samsung's LCD TVs with the wide viewing angle filters like the QN94A and QN95A but excellent on OLEDs.

Yes, the C1 which is almost as good as the C2 is a lot less. Current pricing over 2022-23 models is high, but its normal for these models to be priced the same at this time. It's the same every year.

As for viewing angles, I'd rate them average on Samsung's LCD TVs with the wide viewing angle filters like the QN94A and QN95A but excellent on OLEDs.

It will have to be OLED then for family viewing. The C1 is still £1,100, which is £400 less than the C2. I'm not sure if the C2 is worth that much more or not, but there has to be some value in it being a newer TV, with the evo technology in the C2, better processor and improved picture and sound.

One thing that niggles me with the LGs is is the brand, which I have no experience with as a consumer, and therefore no faith or trust. I have this instinct that the LGs are somehow lacking in quality in some ways. In my mind, I don't quite have LG alongside other leading brands, such as Panasonic or Sony.

The main thing that puts me off the LGs is that, for the C1 and C2, in almost every review I read about the rattle and fuzz of the speaker cabinet when faced with more energetic sounds or bass. That I've read it in pretty much every review I've read so far does bug me. Some owner reviews say it's less of a problem in the C2 but it's still present at times (which would also bug me!!). Then I was thinking, do I really want to spend over £1000 on any TV that can have this sort of sound issue/annoyance? It doesn't seem to make any sense to spend that much money on somethng that might be an ongoing irritation.

Is there a particular brand or model of OLED tv, under £2,000, that handles motion very well?

It will have to be OLED then for family viewing. The C1 is still £1,100, which is £400 less than the C2. I'm not sure if the C2 is worth that much more or not, but there has to be some value in it being a newer TV, with the evo technology in the C2, better processor and improved picture and sound.

One thing that niggles me with the LGs is is the brand, which I have no experience with as a consumer, and therefore no faith or trust. I have this instinct that the LGs are somehow lacking in quality in some ways. In my mind, I don't quite have LG alongside other leading brands, such as Panasonic or Sony.

The main thing that puts me off the LGs is that, for the C1 and C2, in almost every review I read about the rattle and fuzz of the speaker cabinet when faced with more energetic sounds or bass. That I've read it in pretty much every review I've read so far does bug me. Some owner reviews say it's less of a problem in the C2 but it's still present at times (which would also bug me!!). Then I was thinking, do I really want to spend over £1000 on any TV that can have this sort of sound issue/annoyance? It doesn't seem to make any sense to spend that much money on somethng that might be an ongoing irritation.

Is there a particular brand or model of OLED tv, under £2,000, that handles motion very well?
Sadly, everything has a downside, although I'd say it's unlikely you'd use the TV loud enough to hear the rattle. If you do intend to play the volume very high, you'd be better off buying a separate soundbar or buying a TV with good built-in sound instead.

There are some premium models with good built-in sound, if you want good motion to check out the Philips 9 series or Sony A9J OLED. They are over 2k but once you budget having to buy a soundbar too aren't bad value at all.

If you want to add a soundbar later the cheaper 8 series Philips and Sony A80J have just as good motion, without the better sound. All these models should be in my guide.

There's no use looking at newer models like the C2 right now, they are too expensive. Best instead going for last year's model. For example, you could buy the LG C1 and spend the £400 on a soundbar or speakers. Even if you were to spend £150 on a budget soundbar you'd get better sound.

Sadly, everything has a downside, although I'd say it's unlikely you'd use the TV loud enough to hear the rattle. If you do intend to play the volume very high, you'd be better off buying a separate soundbar or buying a TV with good built-in sound instead.

There are some premium models with good built-in sound, if you want good motion to check out the Philips 9 series or Sony A9J OLED. They are over 2k but once you budget having to buy a soundbar too aren't bad value at all.

If you want to add a soundbar later the cheaper 8 series Philips and Sony A80J have just as good motion, without the better sound. All these models should be in my guide.

There's no use looking at newer models like the C2 right now, they are too expensive. Best instead going for last year's model. For example, you could buy the LG C1 and spend the £400 on a soundbar or speakers. Even if you were to spend £150 on a budget soundbar you'd get better sound.
I'm puzzled by something. You said the 2022 C2 is too expensive currently, yet this is £500 cheaper than the Sony A9J - and the A9J is a 2021 model?

I'm puzzled by something. You said the 2022 C2 is too expensive currently, yet this is £500 cheaper than the Sony A9J - and the A9J is a 2021 model?
The A90J is a 2021 model, highest in their lineup with good built in sound. It's a premium model suited to those that want to pay extra for the better sound built in (and therefore no need to buy a soundbar).

The C2 is a mid range 2022 model currently overpriced as it's just been released. This TV does not have good sound and would need an additional soundbar for good sound.

Should make more sense if you compare the heightened pricing within the same model range, for example compare the current price of the A90J to the A95K and the C1 to the C2.

The A90J is a 2021 model, highest in their lineup with good built in sound. It's a premium model suited to those that want to pay extra for the better sound built in (and therefore no need to buy a soundbar).

The C2 is a mid range 2022 model currently overpriced as it's just been released. This TV does not have good sound and would need an additional soundbar for good sound.

Should make more sense if you compare the heightened pricing within the same model range, for example compare the current price of the A90J to the A95K and the C1 to the C2.
I don't know the market well. I read your guide and saw that the A90J was placed in the Enthusiast group. But I've been reading reviews on all these ones I'm considering, and most of these reviews compare the C2 with the A90J. I can see sound quality is an exception, but otherwise I am seeing very different verdicts on these comparisons, which isn't helping my decision. In fact, in some I've been reading, they put the C2 as the better TV overall.

And the rtings site says:

The LG C2 OLED and the Sony A90J deliver a nearly identical experience overall, but the LG is slightly brighter with some scenes. The LG also has more advanced gaming features, including HDMI 2.1 bandwidth on all four HDMI ports. On the other hand, the Sony TV has better processing, with much better tone mapping in HDR and better motion handling, so it's a better choice for movie lovers who care about an accurate image.

And the reviews on the C1 vs C2 do make it clear that the C2 is a better TV overall.

I've found you can get the 55" C2 for £1349.

The idea of a C1 and a soundbar is a good idea. I'm not sure I'd feel a bit cheated spending all that on a compromise. I'm undecided about that.

I'm not sure where the Philips and Panasonic TVs fit into the pecking order. I need to do more reading on them.

I want something that's going to last. I'll not be looking to upgrade again for at least a few years to come. So it needs to be well built and reliable.

Do they all have 5 year guarantees?

I noticed that HDR10+ is lacking on some models. Could that be a problem in a few years time?

There's not a huge difference between any of the OLEDs. Unlike LCD TVs they aren't using different panels and backlit systems. They all are using the same OLED panel made by LG. Side by side you'd be hard pressed to see one impressing over the other.

The differences are small nuances. The features the TV has, the type of HDMI ports, the picture processor, aesthetics etc.

Some people prefer to go with Panasonic or Philips instead of LG or Sony because of HDR10+, but the Sony and LGs will play back HDR10+ material just in HDR10 format instead. Unlikely you'll notice a difference, but TVs displaying this content should have a bit better picture quality doing so if they support the format.

HDR10+ and Dolby Vision will co-exist like DTS and Dolby Digital. Have a think about the sources you'll use with the TV and whether you think you'll use a lot of HDR10+. If for example you watch a lot of Amazon then you could make it one of your priorities since they exclusively back that format on Prime Video.

TV pricing follows a cycle each year based on TV's shelf lives. Right now we are at the period where new 2022-23 models have just been released and are at the top end of their price whereas 2021-22 stock is at the bottom. That's why you see the disparity in pricing between models.

What you could do is wait for the price of the C2 to come down and buy a soundbar with that TV at a later stage. Targeting black friday or Xmas sales is a decent time to buy a new model compared to now. Prices will be cheaper then. If you want to buy now, almost certainly don't buy one of the new models unless you're willing to pay that premium for the sake of having a newer TV sooner.

There's not a huge difference between any of the OLEDs. Unlike LCD TVs they aren't using different panels and backlit systems. They all are using the same OLED panel made by LG. Side by side you'd be hard pressed to see one impressing over the other.

The differences are small nuances. The features the TV has, the type of HDMI ports, the picture processor, aesthetics etc.

Some people prefer to go with Panasonic or Philips instead of LG or Sony because of HDR10+, but the Sony and LGs will play back HDR10+ material just in HDR10 format instead. Unlikely you'll notice a difference, but TVs displaying this content should have a bit better picture quality doing so if they support the format.

HDR10+ and Dolby Vision will co-exist like DTS and Dolby Digital. Have a think about the sources you'll use with the TV and whether you think you'll use a lot of HDR10+. If for example you watch a lot of Amazon then you could make it one of your priorities since they exclusively back that format on Prime Video.

TV pricing follows a cycle each year based on TV's shelf lives. Right now we are at the period where new 2022-23 models have just been released and are at the top end of their price whereas 2021-22 stock is at the bottom. That's why you see the disparity in pricing between models.

What you could do is wait for the price of the C2 to come down and buy a soundbar with that TV at a later stage. Targeting black friday or Xmas sales is a decent time to buy a new model compared to now. Prices will be cheaper then. If you want to buy now, almost certainly don't buy one of the new models unless you're willing to pay that premium for the sake of having a newer TV sooner.
Thanks for the reply.

So, if LG makes all the panels, doesn't it make sense to buy an LG OLED TV?

How accurate is the linked article in relation to this year's models?

If I got the C1 or C2, I'd probably need a soundbar, which also means finding one that's reasonable quality, good sound quality, clear dialogue and that can won't block TV viewing. I don't know where to start on that.

Are there any sync problems between the TV and soundbars, e.g. dialogue sound out of sync?

The Sony A9J is appealing to me. I am going to hold off a while for prices to fall.

I'm concerned about the lifetime of a new TV and reliability. Are any brands well-known for high return numbers?

My current TV, Panasonic TX-42GT50B has been very reliable. Had it 10 years without any problems, and it is on everyday: breakfast, lunchtime, 5ish and then 7pm to late into the night. So it's had some use!

The other thing that I'm not sure of is where to buy from. Lots of retailers but TrustPilot doesn't give me a clear winner. I rely on helpful customer service and flexibility. I'd also need it "installing", as I'm not able to do it myself.

I got my last TV from a family-run independent business but they're not around anymore. They were really helpful. Then there's guarantees and what comes with what models, and how helpful will the retailer be.

So, if LG makes all the panels, doesn't it make sense to buy an LG OLED TV?
Not really, Panasonic, Philips, Sony and LG all make good TVs, each has their pros and cons, picture quality differences are small between them.
How accurate is the linked article in relation to this year's models?
It doesn't include any of the new models because they are still overpriced, I probably won't update it until the prices become feasible to be recommended.
Are there any sync problems between the TV and soundbars, e.g. dialogue sound out of sync?
Yes, soundbars can add latency. It's usually too low to notice but it does differ model to model. Aside from reviews from sites like rtings.com there's not really any way to know how high the latency is before purchase. Whatmore, each TV can compensate differently too so really you just have to jump the gun with a TV and soundbar combo and hope it works okay together, if it doesn't return one or the other. One of the advantages of buying a TV with good sound built in like the Sony A90J is you won't have to worry about any of this because the sound built in is good enough for most people.
The Sony A9J is appealing to me. I am going to hold off a while for prices to fall.
The Sony A90J is a 2021 model so will likely be at the end of its shelf life and lowest in price. It may drop further if there are units that can't be shifted by stores, but it's also likely to sell out. It's replaced by the newer A95K. The A95K should see a reduction come black friday or later.
I'm concerned about the lifetime of a new TV and reliability. Are any brands well-known for high return numbers?
No. If you want to avoid software bugs you are better sticking with LG than the others. If you are planning on using an external device for smart TV it doesn't matter which you choose. Generally, its unrealistic to expect 10 years from an electronic purchase today though. AV equipment as a whole is not built to last like it used too. 5 years is a more reasonable expectation, and you'll probably want to upgrade at that point anyway.

Not really, Panasonic, Philips, Sony and LG all make good TVs, each has their pros and cons, picture quality differences are small between them.

It doesn't include any of the new models because they are still overpriced, I probably won't update it until the prices become feasible to be recommended.

Yes, soundbars can add latency. It's usually too low to notice but it does differ model to model. Aside from reviews from sites like rtings.com there's not really any way to know how high the latency is before purchase. Whatmore, each TV can compensate differently too so really you just have to jump the gun with a TV and soundbar combo and hope it works okay together, if it doesn't return one or the other. One of the advantages of buying a TV with good sound built in like the Sony A90J is you won't have to worry about any of this because the sound built in is good enough for most people.

The Sony A90J is a 2021 model so will likely be at the end of its shelf life and lowest in price. It may drop further if there are units that can't be shifted by stores, but it's also likely to sell out. It's replaced by the newer A95K. The A95K should see a reduction come black friday or later.

No. If you want to avoid software bugs you are better sticking with LG than the others. If you are planning on using an external device for smart TV it doesn't matter which you choose. Generally, its unrealistic to expect 10 years from an electronic purchase today though. AV equipment as a whole is not built to last like it used too. 5 years is a more reasonable expectation, and you'll probably want to upgrade at that point anyway.
I'm interested in comparisons in the new Sony's, the A80K vs a95K

Would you have any of the new OLEDs calibrated? Is that something you do with OLEDs?

But I am going to wait a while. I noticed a lot of 5 year guarantees included. And what's the betting that, two weeks after the guarantee expires, there's a problem!

I really disheartened to read what you said about life expectancy of AV equipment. But this is a really important factor, imho. It used to be that, if you bought mid-range or above, you could expect more life out of devices and more reliability. The higher-end stuff was made with better, more reliable components and the manufacturing process, environments and standards were all better, which put value into those products.

Now, if five years is all I can come to expect from a TV, that seems a step back. I'm not even sure I want to spend £1,000+ (never mind £2000!) on a TV that might only last five years. It doesn't sound like a good deal or good economics for the consumer.

If it wasn't for 4K, I wouldn't even be looking at this time. The Panasonic I currently have works perfectly, no image issues or any problems. It's now over ten years old and has been on almost every day since purchase. And it is fantastic for motion, especially watching live sport, albeit in ye olde 1080p.

I pick up on small details, whether it's with picture or sound. It's a real pain that these things seem to jump out at me, especially as I'm a bit ocd.

I'm really put off from getting a soundbar, as sync issues really niggle me and I had those issues years ago with numerous a/v tuners and 5.1 systems. I don't want that hassle. That's disappointing, too, as it makes the LG C1 and C2 much less appealing to me. :(

I'm kind of left not knowing what to do. I need to see more reviews and comparisons of the 2022 models, even if only to digest it all in my mind for when I do buy a new TV. It's useful to be able to mull it over.

The best thing to do is to get good value from your purchase and upgrade sooner later. LG C1 would be perfect if you can still find a good price. If you aren't happy with its sound pair it with a decent soundbar later and you don't have to worry about sound.

Doesn't matter what you buy, you will have to be prepared to return it if you have too, it's just part of the risk you take. Build quality on more expensive TVs is better, but there's not a difference between the LG C1 and the G1 or the A80J and A90J since they are already high-end TVs. They are all mass-produced with tight profit margins in mind, things have changed quite a bit from when you made bought your Panasonic. I don't think Panasonic are even going to be producing their own TVs after this year.

Now if you were contemplating the build quality between a £500 TV and a £1000 one then there is a difference, cheaper TVs put bluntly are absolute crap nowadays.

Try not to overthink things or you'll end up not buying anything.

Would you have any of the new OLEDs calibrated? Is that something you do with OLEDs?
I'm not a TV reviewer so I can't speak of this. TVs in reviews get 8 or 9 out of 10 when it comes to picture accuracy and can go up to 9 or 10/10 when pro calibrated. Generally, I'd say it's not worth the cost since TVs are already pretty accurate out of the box but some people still do.

Is it correct that the Sony models only have 2 HDMI 2.1 sockets?

Just wondering about what my connections will be:

Sky Q 4K
Amazin Fire TV 4K Firestick
4K Blue-ray player
PS4
PS5
Old VCR (via adapter)

But the LGs seem to have 4 HDMI 2.1 sockets.

Not sure 4 is enough these days... but the Sony only seeming to have 2 x 2.1 (??) provides less future proofing, I guess...mMore for the transfer speeds than 8K compatibility.

Another reason to go with LG, although the only device in your list that can optionally take advantage of HDMI 2.1 is the PS5 with 4k 120hz. Every other device is a HDMI 2.0 device.

Another reason to go with LG, although the only device in your list that can optionally take advantage of HDMI 2.1 is the PS5 with 4k 120hz. Every other device is a HDMI 2.0 device.
For now, but that could change?

With the LG ones, I really don't like the silver stands. They really bugs me. Shame they're not black or very, very dark grey.

When I started looking, I wanted a 65". I still do. But the prices are beyond my budget. I'm not sure I'd be happy spending money on a compromise with a 55". But the 65" TVs are, well, budget aside there comes a point when I think x amount for a TV is just too much. So, my preference would be a Sony 65" (2021) but at £2,800 that is way beyond my budget and comfort zone. I'm not sure there are other options without dropping picture quality.

It could change if you plan on using another console in the future, but other devices are unlikely to run at 4k 120hz since the source frame rate of video is a lot lower.
The bezels are so thin on the OLEDs I doubt you'd even notice what colour they are.

The most economical way to buy is with a TV and soundbar separate. Go for the cheaper A80J and add a soundbar later if needed.

It could change if you plan on using another console in the future, but other devices are unlikely to run at 4k 120hz since the source frame rate of video is a lot lower.
The bezels are so thin on the OLEDs I doubt you'd even notice what colour they are.

The most economical way to buy is with a TV and soundbar separate. Go for the cheaper A80J and add a soundbar later if needed.

I don't want to sacrifice on sound or picture quality (or brightness) with the A80J vs A90J.

I'd be keen on the LGC1 65" to get a 65" but for the stand. Same with the C2. I wish these were very dark grey or black. Can't stand the silver stands.

lgc1.jpg

lgc2.jpg

If I got the A80J, I think it would niggle me. Not quite getting the brightness and sound power as the A90J. But then there's the 55" vs 65" and I'm not convinced I'd be happy with either compromise.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom