Need Headphone advice < $200 US

chiromanted

Standard Member
Looking for headphones "cans" to use for late night Blue-ray and/or music.

1) must be accurate (musician in college and still listen to instrumental)
2) must be comfortable

Will be used with Sony AV receiver ( SDR HD520) about 12 feet away from plug in - no Headphone AMP at this time so I guess that leaves out some of the really nice stuff that are rated at high ohms. Had thought about Wireless- but after reading about it - not so sure anymore. Advice welcome..

Short list of wired "cans" after I have been reading for about 3 days, open to other suggestions=

1) Sennheiser 558 - $150 ( maybe too smooth for Blue -ray?)
2) Audio Tech A700 - $125
3) Superlux hd681 - $40 ( cant believe they would compete - but....)
4) Audio Tech M50 - $113-137 ( 2 models the cheaper is a "s" model)

Thanks in advance

noisemaker

The SRH840 are very accurate...acoustic music sounds good with them.

chiromanted

Standard Member
Well -ended up getting Sennheiser RS180's ( wireless) for $229 and some ultrasone 580's (wired) for $118. Figured I would like one or the other. IT was close call between the SRH840's and the ultrasones. Will update for others once they are broken in.

late8

I had a similar choice a few weeks back.

Went with the Senn HD558's. Usage was broad- HiFi, MP3, and Bluray etc.

The Senns are nice sounding and balanced. They are amazingly comfortable too.

I was worried about smoothness but I was wrong. They have a well delivered - not overpowering bass. You hear the thud and kick of bass not a hummm.
You don't want to have your ears blasted with tones of treble and bass for 2hours when watching a film either! !:thumbsup:

chiromanted

Standard Member
YEs - the 558's were on my short list- actually on the top 3 of the wired list, but after spending the cash on the wireless 180's I has to go to the lower cost ultrasones for my wired choice. Hope I did not screw-up.

noisemaker

If you have the HFI-580's its a really good headphone with bass emphasis, but after some hours of burn in they are smoother. Les us know which of the 2 models you like the most.

chiromanted

Standard Member
Received both headphones yesterday- the Ultrasone cable is not long enough to sit on the couch ( should have thought about that) - must get an extension for it - any ideas where to get one? So, only listen for a minute or 2- sounded fine- but too short for a real opinion. The 180's are awesome - watched a sci-fi movie in HD last night - and could still talk to wife who was reading on the couch, and go get a snack without stopping the movie due to the headphones being wireless.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom