1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need guidance! Question about Sagem HD-D56 and Samsung SP46L6HXX

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by paul.graham, Aug 17, 2005.

1. paul.graham

paul.graham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Can anyone tell me whether the Sagem HD-D56EU as seen on the Comet website has that strange "frosty" coating on the screen as seen on the HD-D45? I haven't been able to find one in store yet...

I don't think I'd be able to put up with that, as much as I like the pq that I've seen on the 45" Sagem I looked at. It makes the picture look all sparkly, such a shame :thumbsdow

I'm really stuck cos I thought the Samsung SP46L6HXX was gonna be the one for me, but I've been to look at it twice now in two different Comet stores and both times, after about 15 minutes viewing, I came out with a stinking headache, which lasted a long time!! Could that be down to the fact that I was only able to view the screen very close up (i.e. max 3 feet away, those aisle set ups in Comet suck!) and not at decent distance? I seem to remember reading about someone else who got headaches after viewing DLPs, or maybe I'm going loopy!

Any advice appreciated...

Cheers,
    Paul

2. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul,

I have just purchased my HD-D56 from www.avwow.com/index.html and I ca confirm that Yes it does have the anti-reflective coating on the screen and it is a feature I particually like. Having a lounge with considerable natural light coming in the coating makes the screen viewable in bright conditions even from a side angle. Again I cannot express enough the sheer sheer pleaseure I get from my Sagem 56" - Obviously I would reccommend you to purchase this set and check out the above link as they are very competitive and offer a great service. Buy with confidence!!
    Enjoy!!

3. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I agree with Riva :smashin: - on this model the costing is nowhere near as severe as the HD-D45 and really does act positively to reduce daylight reflection (A very slight fizzle from bold whites if you stand up close and really look for it). Nighttime viewing and you don't see it at all (seriously) (I don't know why either) and the pictures are all good honest clear white whites and black blacks.

I have not had any headaches viewing as yet but have only been watching for four plus hours a day since it arrived 2 weeks ago :D :D :D

Should you get it? Yes certainly - it is a monster

Cheers

4. showcase

showcase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had a sagem 50" the reflection coating was ok, but what the problem was it was the screen, it was not plain, it was kinda frosty, not sure if thats the right word to say. more like grainy

yeh paul.graham i nw what u mean.... no i have not seen the 56" yet. might ring up sagem and ask

all the best

5. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    RD65 [​IMG]

:D

6. paul.graham

paul.graham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for the feedback peeps, it is much appreciated.

My initial thought is that maybe I am "allergic" ;) to the DLP chip that is in the SP46L6HXX cos I had no problems at all when I spent a good 15 mins watching a SP50L7 in Costco the other day, ho hum...

I guess the next step is to test drive the Sagem then.

It seems that you guys might have talked me into spending double what I was going to on the Samsung!! Unless anyone has another suggestion??

Cheers,
    Paul

7. paul.graham

paul.graham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Preempted by Razor hehehe :D

Perhaps slightly too expensive for me!

8. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

Shame, as its worth every penny. 65' screen for 4k is a bargain. [​IMG]

9. paul.graham

paul.graham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    65" is definitely a beauty!! :D I'm afraid I might not have the space for it as well as a lack of cash :(

I just saw that the HD-D45 and 56 do not have an HDMI input, does anyone think this might be a limiting factor? E.G. When the Sky HD feeds begin will there be any problem to connect it up to the DVI input?

I'm finding this all very perplexing :rolleyes:

10. scookar

scookar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You can get HDMI to DVI cables so lack of a HDMI connection is not a problem.

11. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

:hiya:

Dont worry about the DVI connection all you have to worry about is HDCP. All the new DLP sets carry HDCP on either DVI or HDMI. HDCP is what you will need for Sky HD or Blue Ray/HD-DVD.

The main difference between DVI and HDMI is that HDMI carrys sound as well as picture. Most people with these sets are using a seperate amp/reciever for their sound so this isn't an issue. If you are using the tv for sound you will have to input the sound seperately which is easily done.

As for the RD65 being too big :rolleyes: Make room for it :D

12. paul.graham

paul.graham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL Razor :hiya: :D

I'm going to buy a 14lb sledge hammer right now and knock the lounge through to the dining room... :smashin: (literally smashin' ;) )

Seriously though, thanks to everyone for the top notch info, it's much appreciated.

Cheers,
    P

13. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    Paul :hiya:

Good idea about the through Lounge. [​IMG]

Actually the RD65 fits perfectly in a bay window :rolleyes: :D

No problems on the help. :thumbsup: