• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Need good sound for movies

indy1975

Hello

Im looking to buy a pair of headphones that surport fantastic surround sound for movies.
I have the onkyo 608 to connect them upto.
Looking to spend upto £150.
Been advised the sennheiser hd555 are really good, has anyone got these.

Cheers

Last edited:

davejames

The 555's are ok but you can do better, for movies headphones with a large soundstage would give more sense of being there, so you could look at the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 headphones.

PAUL7331

I too have the onkyo 608 and need a pair of headphones to watch films/play games that are better than my current senheiser 555's... Will spend up to £200 possibly. Ideas??

Last edited:

TheNameIsJambo

Distinguished Member
I too have the onkyo 608 and need a pair of headphones to watch films/play games that are better than my current senheiser 555's... Will spend up to £200 possibly. Ideas??

The best headphones to play games on, to my knowledge are the Beyerdynamic DT series. Moreover, the DT770, since it is closed back, to keep out distractions and lock in the gaming experience.

Depending on what kind of headphone you need, you can have:

770 - Closed
880 - Semi Closed
990 - Open.

The directional accuracy of the headphone is spot on, hence why the MMX300 gaming headphone is solely based on the770.

You can also vary between different impedances of the headphones, to cater to your needs. They all sound different, the pool is convoluted and confusing, but hey, DT770s @ 80/250/600 Ohms should all do the same job, especially when it's for gaming.

You just need to keep in mind, you need a good amp if you're going for 600 ohm headphones.

FYI, if you've ever looked at Beyerdynamic headphones before, you'll understand what I mean. They have Premium and Pro models, for home and studio (respectively), and they've also released different models in different years that have different sonic signatures.

Crazy

Last edited:

PAUL7331

The best headphones to play games on, to my knowledge are the Beyerdynamic DT series. Moreover, the DT770, since it is closed back, to keep out distractions and lock in the gaming experience.

Depending on what kind of headphone you need, you can have:

770 - Closed
880 - Semi Closed
990 - Open.

The directional accuracy of the headphone is spot on, hence why the MMX300 gaming headphone is solely based on the770.

You can also vary between different impedances of the headphones, to cater to your needs. They all sound different, the pool is convoluted and confusing, but hey, DT770s @ 80/250/600 Ohms should all do the same job, especially when it's for gaming.

You just need to keep in mind, you need a good amp if you're going for 600 ohm headphones.

FYI, if you've ever looked at Beyerdynamic headphones before, you'll understand what I mean. They have Premium and Pro models, for home and studio (respectively), and they've also released different models in different years that have different sonic signatures.

Crazy

Thanks mate, although I tend to watch more movies/US tv shows than games so would the above also do the job for those things?

noisemaker

You can also check the HD598's which are better than the AD700's in every aspect. Not hard to drive, your receiver should be enough.

PAUL7331

You can also check the HD598's which are better than the AD700's in every aspect. Not hard to drive, your receiver should be enough.

Thanks mate. Amazon have them at £168. Is this a decent price and will I notice a big difference compared to my current 555's?

Most reviews talk about them being good for music. What about movies?

Last edited:

TheNameIsJambo

Distinguished Member
I love it how Paul has hijacked this thread!:thumbsup:

What source are you using to watch movies? Laptop? TV?

If it's a TV it might be worth while getting wireless headphones, especially considering you'll be sitting a good few metres away on a couch?

When I need to, I use the Shure SRH840s when playing the xbox, but the coiled cable can be a pain in the bum. I have to pin the cable down to ensure there is some flex between me and the pressure point, or else it feels like my left ear is being tugged.

It's either that or I shunt the living room table out the way and invest in a bean bag!:D

Just for arguments sake, I'd say that the headphones go in this chain of quality: HD555->HD558->HD595=AD700->HD598.

If you're looking for a worth while upgrade, want to stick to open-back and you want to stick to Senn, I'd say the 598 is the best choice that's budgeted. After that you're in 'big-boy' territory with the HD6xx series..

The HD595 is on par with the AD700? Who agrees? ;)

Last edited:

PAUL7331

I love it how Paul has hijacked this thread!:thumbsup:

What source are you using to watch movies? Laptop? TV?

If it's a TV it might be worth while getting wireless headphones, especially considering you'll be sitting a good few metres away on a couch?

When I need to, I use the Shure SRH840s when playing the xbox, but the coiled cable can be a pain in the bum. I have to pin the cable down to ensure there is some flex between me and the pressure point, or else it feels like my left ear is being tugged.

It's either that or I shunt the living room table out the way and invest in a bean bag!:D

Just for arguments sake, I'd say that the headphones go in this chain of quality: HD555->HD558->HD595=AD700->HD598.

If you're looking for a worth while upgrade, want to stick to open-back and you want to stick to Senn, I'd say the 598 is the best choice that's budgeted. After that you're in 'big-boy' territory with the HD6xx series..

The HD595 is on par with the AD700? Who agrees? ;)

:laugh: I kow mate, I thought I may as well instead of creating a whole new post as the original poster as the same equipment as me.

Im going to be using my headphones with the onkyo 608 amp. I'll be mainly watching movies/tv shows like 24/lost etc, and a little gaming.

I want the headphones to sound amazing for movies, with good bass etc.

So after these requirements am I still best to go for the 598's?

Also will I be able to get them to give me surround sound? Or is that a simple no for headphones?
Somebody mentioned a turtle beach earforce DSS but surely I wont need this as I already own a fairly decent amp to drive the headphones?

TheNameIsJambo

Distinguished Member
I'd recommend the 598, as the 595 are always flagged as great for movies and gaming. The soundstage is big, so you'll get a sense of depth.

And the 598s are plenty bassy, deeeeeep bass. Cinema style.

Well what would your setup be?

Xbox/PS3 -> Onkyo -> Headphones?
Video source (Media streaming, Blu-Ray/DVD Player) -> Onkyo -> Headphones?

The DSS = 5.1/7.1 USB thing? Forget it. Headphones have 2 speakers which means stereo ;) You'd have hundreds of nae fun funnelling a 7.1 signal into a stereo output, you'd need a 7.1 speaker system to benefit from it (probably).

On any (mainly the 360 for me) gaming platform, you'll find that stereophonic sound has a more than adequate 'surround' feel because the 'surround' comes from clever psychoacoustics / phase shifting. In English, you can tell where people/objects/noises are; behind, above, below, etc. You'll probably of experienced it yourself anyway.

You should get the directional feel/audible perspective from any set of headphones, all games support surround sound these days, and getting it fed through stereo is the norm when it comes to competitive gaming.

I've actually owned 5.1 headphones, and I'd have to say, they sounded WORSE than my stereo headphones. The positional accuracy wasn't much better, but the actual SQ was appalling :'(

The psychoacoustics point above can also relate to technologies designed with gaming in mind such as Environmental Audio Extensions (EAX). Created by Creative (I think). That immerses you in the experience even deeper.

At one point I never even used headphones or speakers for gaming, I just turned the sounds off and played music. I was still asked to play in CAL... I miss Day of Defeat and Counter Strike :'(

I need to get myself a good gaming rig and get back in the game!

FYI:
HD598 @ £150. All this talk about open-backed headphones is getting me prepped for a wallet smashing purchase! I'd never get to use them often, but I'd love to have them all the same.

http://www.electricalexperience.co.uk/product.php?xProd=7626

These guys are an actual UK store, so there's no Chinese 'keeping it real fake' chopshopping going on here!

Last edited:

PAUL7331

I'd recommend the 598, as the 595 are always flagged as great for movies and gaming. The soundstage is big, so you'll get a sense of depth.

And the 598s are plenty bassy, deeeeeep bass. Cinema style.

Well what would your setup be?

Xbox/PS3 -> Onkyo -> Headphones?
Video source (Media streaming, Blu-Ray/DVD Player) -> Onkyo -> Headphones?

The DSS = 5.1/7.1 USB thing? Forget it. Headphones have 2 speakers which means stereo ;) You'd have hundreds of nae fun funnelling a 7.1 signal into a stereo output, you'd need a 7.1 speaker system to benefit from it (probably).

On any (mainly the 360 for me) gaming platform, you'll find that stereophonic sound has a more than adequate 'surround' feel because the 'surround' comes from clever psychoacoustics / phase shifting. In English, you can tell where people/objects/noises are; behind, above, below, etc. You'll probably of experienced it yourself anyway.

You should get the directional feel/audible perspective from any set of headphones, all games support surround sound these days, and getting it fed through stereo is the norm when it comes to competitive gaming.

I've actually owned 5.1 headphones, and I'd have to say, they sounded WORSE than my stereo headphones. The positional accuracy wasn't much better, but the actual SQ was appalling :'(

The psychoacoustics point above can also relate to technologies designed with gaming in mind such as Environmental Audio Extensions (EAX). Created by Creative (I think). That immerses you in the experience even deeper.

At one point I never even used headphones or speakers for gaming, I just turned the sounds off and played music. I was still asked to play in CAL... I miss Day of Defeat and Counter Strike :'(

I need to get myself a good gaming rig and get back in the game!

FYI:
HD598 @ £150. All this talk about open-backed headphones is getting me prepped for a wallet smashing purchase! I'd never get to use them often, but I'd love to have them all the same.

Sennheiser HD598 - Headphones - Electrical Experience

These guys are an actual UK store, so there's no Chinese 'keeping it real fake' chopshopping going on here!

Thanks mate. My setup is ps3/360 plugged in to my onkyo 608.

To view movies I have a popcorn hour again connected to my amp via hdmi.

And then headphones connected to the onkyo.

I think I'll go with the 598's...:thumbsup:

EDIT - What about closed headphones??? Open vs closed? AHHH I've seen these Denon ones? Denon AH-NC800

Last edited:

TheNameIsJambo

Distinguished Member
Open vs Closed :eek: That's another battle waiting to happen!

More often than not, with a closed back headphone it means you get less of a sound-stage. Although the advantage with closed back is that little or no sound escapes and little sound gets in.

The best closed headphones I've heard, that don't sound too 'boxy', are the Shure SRH840s. It's hard to describe closed vs open, but for closed, I'd use 'boxy' and for open, I'd use 'airy'.

Senn 598 = Open back: wide, airy, accurate w/ deep, bellowing bass.

SRH 840 = Closed back: bright/sparkly, forward mids, tight deep bass. Instrument separation is definitely there, and it has a soundstage, albeit, not a huge one like an open-back headphone.

I need closed-back headphones for office and at home. I'd rarely ever get to use an open-back counterpart, even if the sound is better! :(

I can only imagine that Denon noise cancellation headphones dampen the sound quality somewhat, through the destructive sound properties of active NC.

You're best looking at Denon D2000 headphones :) They're closed back, and sound good. They leak a little and you can tell they're closed back, but they've got a deep, bellowing bass.

Last edited:

PAUL7331

Thanks mate. I'll have a good think about it!

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom