Need For Speed The Run

sefe77

Release Date 18th Nov
if it's anything like Hot Pursuit, i'll be very happy :thumbsup:

It's called The Run. An illicit, high-stakes race across the country. The only way to get your life back is to be the first from San Francisco to New York. No speed limits. No rules. No allies. All you have are your driving skills and sheer determination as you battle hundreds of the world's most notorious drivers on the country's most dangerous roads. In Need for Speed The Run, you'll weave through dense urban centers, rocket down icy mountain passes and navigate narrow canyons at breakneck speeds, all the while evading a relentless police force prepared – and willing – to use lethal force to take you down.

edit: there is a trailer on http://www.needforspeed.com/en_GB/therun but i can't embed it..

DT53

Looks really good. I loved hot pursuit so am hoping this is just as good if not better.

oska

As long as it features Farrah Fawcett in a spandex jumpsuit and a black Countach I'll be happy.

sefe77

Demo now available on the PS store.
I've downloaded it and had a quick blast, first impressions are good

baginz10

Does anyone know where I can preorder this game at a brilliant price? Cant believe prople have managed to preorder for £17.99 or £24.99! I suppose that was a while ago though.

Jon Weaver

Distinguished Member
Any links to full reviews?
Anyone actually got it yet?

I've been hammering Need For Speed Hot Pursuit since Christmas and I think this will be on my list this year :)

IGN have a review up and they have slated it.. I loved Hot Pursuit and it brings back fond memories of last Christmas.. So I was going to buy it, but that was until I read the review.

Apparently its awful.. 2 hours of game play.. And whilst it looks similar to Hot Pursuit its completely different... And it seems like it was writen by "Black Box" who used to be involved in NFS a few years and did a pretty poor job back then.

So unfortunately, for me, "I'm out".

Jon

AMc

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the heads up Jon

Oh dear, looks like I'll be picking this up in the Bargain bin in February or may be not even that.
What a shame because I've really enjoyed HP for many months online.

AMc2010 and mention AVF if you send a friend request ;)

Average Need for Speed: The Run review scores - In Entertainment
It has come to our attention that Need for Speed: The Run is not firing on all cylinders on the impression given by critics. Surely a racing game with a storyline sounds like a good idea for a game?

Need for Speed: The Run review: Drive angry | Joystiq
It makes an impression. Need for Speed: The Run starts out so well that I coasted on that high for about 45 more minutes before I realized the game I was playing just wasn't very good.

Need for Speed: The Run Review from GamePro
The game's handling just isn't very responsive. Since The Run is an over-the-top, dramatic race game, I was expecting its cars to be arcadey and larger-than-life, capable of lurid tail slides that make you feel like you're driving on the edge. That's what makes Hot Pursuit so good -- it's tuned for maximum excitement and exhilaration, yet at the same time it's also responsive and predictable enough for you to be able to pull off some sweet moves at high speed. Surprisingly, that's not the case here. The Run's vehicles all feel pretty much the same -- they go fast, but they're sluggish and don't change direction quickly enough. Because of that, they can be frustrating to drive, particularly when you see a hazard coming and you react immediately, but the car doesn't.

xbox 360 review but same rules apply I imagine
Need for Speed: The Run Review - Xbox 360 Review at IGN
Closing Comments
Need for Speed: The Run has a good racer inside it. It can be exciting and visceral, and there were numerous times in the game where I stopped and said, “Sh--, that was cool.” But all this awesome racing action gets somewhat lost amid the nonexistent story, the dumb/scripted AI, the lack of options, and the overall shortness of the game. The Run is not a marathon racing game, it's a quick and dirty drag race.

HRF1T2007

Dam this has shipped from shop to

Was really looking forward to it as well as demo was really good

Suppose I shall just send it back when it arrives for refund

Foster

Distinguished Member
Shame really how they can ruin good franchises :(

HRF1T2007

Have to say the game arrived (ps3)and was tempted to try it and gave in

I am enjoying it and will keep it cannot see the issues that were being slated

Graphics - lovely
Sound - brilliant
Handling - good to me
Cut scenes - great not as bad as thought

I like the game and as a stand alone would give it at moment 9/10
Because to change cars you drive into a garage which I like some might not

Last edited:

HRF1T2007

I have spent the last hour on it & love it, I also echo the previous comments ;-)

Spot on mate, have to say dont listen to reviews they are rubbish loving this game the challenges are fun also having a blast even dodging lorries and cars coming towards you and crashing out is fun:thumbsup:

DarkDogZA

I have it and while it is not brilliant, it is entertaining if you are not into the latest MW3/BF teenage fodder. Happy to be added to anyone's PS3 list for the autolog competition.

In some ways, I prefer this to NFS HP. It feels a bit more enjoyable and I would best describe as taking some of the elements of the original Need for Speed on the PC and combining a few things from burnout paradise.

If you are a fan of GT5 and Shift and are looking for a sim, this is not for you. Having said that, I have both GT5, Shift 2 and this is enjoyable for other reasons. I tend to ignore the storyline!

sefe77

Just like everyone above, got this today and after half an hours play I'm enjoying it.
Feel free to send me a friend request to get some of those autolog competitions going
Psn Id is sefe77

HRF1T2007

Multiplayer is good I think obviously you get smashed about a bit but its not bad
Challenges are good and autolog is still good
Must say the water on the roads part dry part wet looks brilliant even f1 and gt5 doesnt come near the effect at all

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone