Need for Speed Blu-ray AVForums Review

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
A six for the movie is rather generous.
The audio is spectacular though, watched it last night and the sound of those cars, the Mustang especially, was the stuff of dreams.
Only really matched by listening to roaring Harley's in recent Sons of Anarchy releases.
Awful, awful film though. Maybe the worst thing I've seen so far this year.

Hmm maybe you need to be a fan of the game? It is a film based on a game so would never be to many people's liking.
Not seen it yet and a big fan of breaking bad so hope its not too bad.
My expectations are based on an enjoyable fun film, not a masterpiece in plot and script writing so going by what I have seen I should be happy.

I am a fan of the game series.
I have lost weeks of my life to each iteration since the games appeared on consoles. The problem the film has is that it plays like a 130 minute cinematic ad for the next version of the game.
I went in just expecting a little fun, I couldn't even get that.
Even mentioning Breaking Bad in relation to this does the show a massive disservice. luckily, BB is still fresh enough in people's minds that this film won't be a career killer for Paul, because it really could have been.
It is bad by STV standards and if it hadn't had the NFS name, or EA's marketing force behind it, this would have been called out as the bad Fast and Furious clone that it is and it would have vanished into the mist with The Spirit and The Happening.
Just my opinion of course, but I'd lower my expectations drastically if I was you.

Contrarily, I couldn't give a toss about the games and enjoyed it. This was despite being annoyed by the token 'hilarious' black character. I liked the score as well, it was minimalistic in design and I wasn't expecting that.

It was all about the cars. And what amazing cars they were. Bloody loved it!

Just span my UK discs (3D and 2D) both have DTS-MA 5.1 :(
US disc has 7.1, yet again the euro zone get short changed I guess to fit on all the different languages?

3D not the best but adds more to the races.

for those interested...the 3d conversion is GOOD according to the only pro review i read in french !

Just recently watched this and have to say the picture quality was simply jaw dropping !

Almost looked 4k - the images just popped out of the screen and were crystal clear - some great locations and camera angles used in this film.

The sound was top notch too.

The disc for sure 100% is demo material and I enjoyed the movie - but I am a big car fan which certainly helps.

Good subtle tie-in with the game/s too.

Overall exceeded my expectations :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom