need floorstanders £400 ish

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by alagermound, Jan 9, 2008.

1. alagermound

alagermound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    need help here im replacing my blown eltax concept 180's running with my onkyo 805 (no surprise they blew) they have served me well as a front pair used 50/50 for surround movies and in stereo for music with a cheap gale sub (also to be upgraded).

while never bad the eltax always sounded a bit hollow but certainly decent enough but really were only bought as a cheap set up for my old amp when i first moved out.

i have been considering the following

monitor audio br6 (bit pricey though at £495) and i cant demo them anywhere
    kef iq5se, demoed today but did not really impress that much (cant afford the iq7se)
    mission m34i cant demo anywhere.
    seem to be stuck after that

i really only want floor standers and i need something with a decent driver as my music taste is quite geared to wards the bass and mid heavy. as well as being used for the odd parties etc

also to add while this may seem a shallow concept the actual look of a speaker enhances my enjoyment of them i realise asthetics in no way reflect sound quality but i would prefer a nice solid looking unit like the br6.

any ideas?

2. oatz

oatz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Today I demoed the IQ7's V's 908's and whilst the 7's had a slight high end edge the 903's were better at the lows. Personally I think it all depends on what type of music etc you're into

3. jagr

jagr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    How about these:

Tannoy EYRIS 2 £299.95 (Richersounds)

4. alagermound

alagermound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi by 908's do you mean the mordaunt shorts , i had considered might try and get a demo but the only place loacal to sell them are richer sounds and they dont have a demo suite. not sure what 903's are?

also based soley on looks im not keen on the MS's so i would have to be sold on how they sound.

Jagr: had considered the Tannoy;s but never been a fan of their sound and again will be difficult to get a demo. any thought on them ?