need faster codec for 720/1080 content

godsakes

Hi guys

i'm currently using xbmc on my old laptop as my htpc, specs:

windows xp pro sp3
core duo 1.6ghz
2gb ram
nvidia GeForce Go 7900

while the laptop seems fast enough for 720p content i'm wondering if it's possible to optimise a few programs so i can play 1080p content (and indeed take away some of the strain on 720p playback)?

reading around i've tried to use the powerdvd 8 H264 Decoder with MPC-HC which is supposed to take advantage of DXVA (to offload some of the strain to the GPU) however this doesn't seem be any faster than the standard playback in XBMC

Using CoreAVC i've been able to reduce the strain on 720p content by about 10% but surely there is a better way? is there a better way to offload the decoding onto the GPU?

jameson_uk

Novice Member
nvidia GeForce Go 7900
The 7900 (and I am assuming the Go 7900) only have the first generation of HD acceleration and I don't think this will offload all H264 decoding to the card.

Using CoreAVC i've been able to reduce the strain on 720p content by about 10% but surely there is a better way? is there a better way to offload the decoding onto the GPU?
AIUI CoreAVC will support CUDA but not DXVA. Your card does not support CUDA (at least according to Wikipedia) so you appear to be stuck with the CPU doing a lot of the work and unfortunately it would appear it can not quite do 1080p :(

You can try the MPC-HC, PowerDVD and FFDShow codecs for H264 to see if they help at all but I think the answer is probably that your hardware is not up to the job

daviddekanter

Novice Member

daviddekanter

Novice Member

godsakes

Ai Caramba.... my bad!!!

Best thing to do is buy a new laptop ;)
LOL, well i have been eying up a small asrock ion as a possible replacement - but for the time being i'll make do as my TV isn't 1080p anyway. I just hoped there be a nice software tweak to get more out of it

thanks for all the replies

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom