1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Expert Help with Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by FoxyMulder, Mar 1, 2003.

1. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was watching Stargate the ultimate edition in DTS tonight and 1 hour 55 minutes into the film my subwoofer started making terrible sounds it seems to have bottomed out or something its a RelQ201E and this is the first time this has happened, i need help how do i fix it so my subwoofer works again because at the moment it keeps distorting when i run anything with bass through it, i played The Haunting DTS last week and it handled that fine but the levels of bass in Stargate seem to have been too much for my poor sub to cope with, seriously need help to fix my sub now so callin all experts to voice there opionion ?

2. BK Electronics

BK Electronics
    Active Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi Foxy

If your sub is distorting like you say, i'ts going to be one of two things, the amp or the drive unit either way theres nothing you can do except get it back to Rel under warranty.

I can't be more helpful than that, sorry.

3. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My rel q200e done this all the time when there was huge bass (stargate dts, ep 1 and 2, independence day...). Its a fine sub, but beware its limits.

4. BK Electronics

BK Electronics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi Timmy

The way Foxy makes it sound is as if the sub distorts all the time now. I dont know if it has thermal protection, if it has it may just need turning off for an hour to cool right down.

5. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I may have the answer.

Stargate I think is from the original encoding method for DTS on DVDs which has the LFE channel +3DB louder than DD levels. Other films like this are Dante's Peak, Antz, Daylight and other early DTS DVDs. I have the same DVD m8 and I too get excesive LFE but it's fine when lowered by 3DB (in my case I just use the sub's remote to lower the level but it's easier with the amp's lfe level adjuster).

Antz and Daylight are also bass heavy on my system so it's my guess that's the cause of your problems.

Phil

6. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Apocalypse,

My understanding was that early DTS movies and CD's were mastered 10db higher. This is why some amps have the ability to increase the LFE on DTS by up to 10db in order to match the level for modern soundtracks which don't carry the bass boost, e.g. Yamaha, or have separate settings for DTS Movies and DTS Music (with DTS Music being 10db lower than DTS Movies), e.g. Meridian 568.

I have the Stargate Ultimate Edition and played it in DTS, but I don't recall any really excessive bass. I'll check again today at the 1 hour 55 minutes mark.

Steve

7. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its not the Disc because everything was fine and the sound was blowing me away then about 1 hour 55 minutes in serious major distortion started it just seems to crack up now and sounds terrible whether i play dolby digital tracks CD or DTS the Sub just cracks up now and ive checked the cone it seems ok from outside but i don't wanna open up unless there is some advice from someone on how to do it so i can fix the problem, the company i got it from is 400 miles away sevenoaks and i didnt fill in the extended guarantee and send to REL, should also point out ive got Dragonheart another early DTS disc and it always played fine i think maybe Stargate has proved too much for my system and has damaged my subwoofer but i thought there was a safety feauture built in which would have stopped this from happening i feel terrible now cos i can't afford another subwoofer and not sure wot the guarantee status is with regards to the sub acting this way after playin a film they might blame me and say its not covered in any guarantee, i had the sub hooked up via the neutrik connecter and phono cables to amp as recommeneded in the manual and set at bass rolloff of 55hz and moderate volume

8. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I had the B&W ASW-675 sub it would cut-off for really low frequencies, at first I thought it was a fault but it's a built in protection for excessive cone movement. This only happened with "Jungle Fever" from The Ultimate DVD Platinum which is rife with ultrasonic frequencies, even the HGS-18 can't go low enough to play them :eek:

Is that particular scene really low, you can tell by looking at the cone, if the cone moves in and out slowly it means it's a low frequency (you should not hear anything also if it's really low). With the B&W a simple turning off and back on reset the sub.

Steve - Not all processors/amps have the ability to turn up the DTS LFE independently of DD, take my Marantz for instance :)

Also you are wrong about 10Db higher for movies, only DTS music is 10Db higher.

Phil

9. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Apocalypse,

I think you are probably right about the DTS movies and music levels. My current processor (Myryad) also can't change DTS and DD levels independently.

Steve

10. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just tried the disc at 1h55m point and didn't notice "excessive" bass on either the DTS or DD track. Don't get me wrong, there is strong bass, but not what I would call excessive. Certainly not as strong as the bass on LOTR (DTS), ATOC, JP3 (DTS) and SPR (DTS) soundtracks. These are what I would call potential sub-wrecker soundtracks.

As for your sub distorting, the only things I can think of are that the speaker cone may have hit it's end stops and damaged the cone or the speaker coil has overheated, perhaps resulting in damaged insulation. Both of these are likely to require a replacement driver, which will need to be fitted by REL.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I doubt that your warranty will cover this as they (REL) are likely to claim that the the sub was overdriven. It's probably worth contacting them anyway to see if they will cover it under warranty. Worse case is that at least you will get an idea of replacement cost if they won't cover it.

Steve

11. BK Electronics

BK Electronics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I would disagree there, REL designed the whole system, and claim to over engineer everything. you shouldn't be able to burn a speaker out . If you have then you have an underated speaker for the amplifier. Also dont REL have ASP ( Automatic Speaker Protection) the transparent speaker protection system that detects the onset of clipping and reduces the gain of the system to protect the speaker?????.

Foxy, If you havent filled your extended waranty in, it is still worth getting in touch with REL, they may still honour the repair, they give a very good warranty period, are a reputable company and Eric at REL is a very nice understandable chap. You have nothing to lose by asking.

12. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    As I said, it's probably worth contacting REL anyway....

13. BK Electronics

BK Electronics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I think I said that earier on as well!!!!

14. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The good news is Sevenoaks gives 2 year guarantees and ive been told to take the Subwoofer to my nearest branch ((I bought it from a branch 400 miles away)) nearest branch is Carlisle 43 miles away but problem is i don't drive so i'm now left wondering the best way to get the subwoofer to Carlisle, i was thinkin possibly courier but not sure if i trust a courier and i don't want sevenoaks sayin it arrived damaged, the other thing is the guarantee has 1 month left on it and do i get a guarantee on the repair ? does anyone know if the law states repairs are guaranteed ? any help would be most gratefully received and thks for everyone who has offered an opinion on this thread much appreciated thks :)