1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need expert advice on plasma setup

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by niko, May 29, 2005.

1. niko

niko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I finally got my bonus, so plasma purchase is due any day. I narrowed my choice to few 50" models but I am still having difficulties to put together optimum configuration.

In terms of performance Pioneer and Panasonic professional plasma display models seem to offer the most but I am struggling a bit to find the best add-ons for them.

DVD Player and SKY box are here already, scaler is due to arive any day.
    But:
    I still need analogue tuner with teletext, but not on a cost of having to connect the scaler thru the tuner. I also need to keep it is as simple as possible for my wife to watch analogue TV.

Any advice is highly appreciated. It doesn't have to be cheapest option but no silly priced stuff either.
    Thanks.
    Niko

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Have you thought about the Fujitsu 50" ? I have calibrated a few now and they look good.

Why the requirement for analogue TV? If it is analogue teletext I can understand but if it is "ease of use" a relatively cheap programmable remote will handle the "ease of use" requirement.

Which scaler have you gone for? Even running everything through a Lumagen HDP here the whole family can work it - without having to understand what the various boxes are actually doing!

3. niko

niko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scaler is Lumagen HDP, and why analogue TV, well it has to be and analogue teletext is of huge importance for us.

All inputs and solutions are welcome but I'd prefer detailed explanations on configuration since I am not familiar with some models.
    Most people also recomended Pioneer MXE since it apparently allows pixel per pixel mapping from the scaler. How about Fujitsu?
    Thanks
    Niko

4. niko

niko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Piers, if I decide to run analogue tuner thru Lumagen (sort of compromise I'd prefer to skip), which Tuner should I go for?
    Thanks again
    Niko

5. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Good choice of scaler : ))

Also understand your requirement about analogue teletext.

Pixel for pixel is possible with the Fujitsu. Getting both 50 Hz and 60 Hz p / p makes it rather more complicated.

Need a bit more info about the analogue tuner requirement. As you will know the Lumagen lets you input most formats and output them to the plasma in the optimum resolution for the screen. What are you, or the other half, trying to achieve with the analogue tuner?

6. niko

niko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Piers,
    analogue tuner switches between channels immediately - no need to wait for a second or three every time I switch the channel, and it offers me teletext too. I simply want to have it. It is must have for me.
    Thanks
    Niko

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  8. niko

niko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not yet.
    I was actually thinking of some tuner card, that would give my wife desired option of easy use together with plasma speakers, and I could then use everything else thru Lumagen and my AV gear.

Another question, can Lumagen accept and understand signal from Pionner media box or Panasonic tuner, asking this just out of curiosity.

Thanks
    Niko

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    potentially yes but thats not a solution i would ever reconmend as for a "tuner card" if you design the system and intefvace properly then there would be no need for the wife or anyone else to know that there are 7 different boxes all doing something different as far as they knoe they press a button and what they want appears on screen

10. niko

niko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know all this, but I'd simply prefer her or my kids not to touch the rest when I am away, and that is very often.

Also if something gets wrong then how the heck could they troubleshoot? I really do not want to throw the money thru the window but I need this type of solution - it will let me sleep well.

Niko

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well one possible option would be to use either a vanilla Pio 505
    another would be to use a panny with media box for use by wife/kids and then have a lumagen/DVDO or similar set up for your use, possible but again complex a proper system is the best bet (trouble shooting should not be an issue) you dont seem to have much confidence ithe abilities of your family, but understand you dont want a phone call every 5 minutes about how to get a DVD on or the disney channel for the kids...................

12. niko

niko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks hornydragon

If anyone has any additional advices PLEASE! :lease: As soon as I find solution that makes me happy I'll part with the money.

P.S. Anyone watching Uruguay at Venezuela at the moment. The game is class!