1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Expert Advice on Aego 5

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by wobbleshop, Nov 27, 2003.

1. wobbleshop

wobbleshop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey everyone!
    I've been lurking here for a while and im really impressed with the level of knowledge here so im askin for help!
    I am putting together a new home theater in my living room. Already have a projector, and a Pioneer VSX-55TXi
    receiver and a
    Pioneer DV-47AI Dvd player.
    I am trying to determine which pioneer speakers to buy for my room. If you haven't guessed by now, i have a special deal on Pioneer, so i'm sticking with their products.
    I am setting this up in my family room so i am pretty determined to use speakers i can mount and aim down toward the listener...
    I am looking at these for my left, right, and rear left, rear right
    TZ-MS09. I am also looking at this one for my center speaker TZ-MZ05 and last but not least for my subwoofer i am looking at....YEP you guessed it! Its an elite.. the S-DW1-K.

What do you folks think? Is this a good move? Any suggestions? My room is about 14feet wide by about 30 feet long..don't know if that helps...basically im just wondering if any one can confirm that getting the speakers i have chosen is a good idea. ;)

thanks in advance for any feed back!!

-brian

2. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Brian,

I can't speak from personal experience, but I didn't think Pioneer were really known for the quality of their speakers, despite being very well regarded for DVD players, AV amps, etc. Also, US models are almost always slightly different from UK models, so this probably isn't the best place to find advice - have you tried www.avsforum.com? It's a bit more ... hectic ... than here but it's US-based, and there are a lot of knowledgeable members, so you should be able to find the advice you're looking for.

Good luck,

Dunc

3. wobbleshop

wobbleshop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok..im posted to avsforums as well...but i do have a question about a UK based product...the Acoustic Energy AEGO5 speaker system. I have been told that they sound great. any one heard these? own them?

thanks,
    brian

4. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brian,
    Unfortunately, I haven't heard these nor do I own them. But, I have also been quite interested in them lately. One thing to remember about this system is that the sats would need to be connected to your receiver's preouts and then run to the subwoofer via the supplied cable from AE. The signal is then amplified at the sub, and then cables are run from it to the sat speakers in your room. See Accoustic Energy's webpage here for more details on the way it's hooked up.

I have been told that the result, when paired with, say, a Marantz 4400, is breathtaking. As I mentioned earlier, I can't comment on this myself. The mags such as What HiFi Sound and Vision over here seem to rate very highly the system it can be bought with (although presently without Dolby Pro Logic 2) in the Aego P5 form seen on the AE webpage. Obviously, connecting just the speakers to the Marantz would rectify the DPL2 problem. AE is intending to put out a mark two version of the Aego 5 product in about Feb '04 time, the 'P' version would have DPLII.

I'm also told that you could buy the Aego 5 and set it up, and then buy the Aego 2 and connect it to your last rear preout (if you have 6.1), giving you a simulated 7.1 sound set up. You would then have two subs floating about, though.

All very interesting if you can have a demo - unfortunately I can't where I live. The system comes with cables supplied, which is a bonus if the cables are the right length (one or two are not long enough for me). AE's website also mentions that the sats sound better if mounted on the wall with the supplied brackets - unfortunately my wife prefers stands.

I hope this is of some help to you. The Aego P5 was originally given 5 Stars by the mag I mentioned earlier, but the recent November edition which might still be available at Barnes and Noble Bookstores or Borders Books has a short write up on them in their Home Cinema Bargains section (in fact the system is pictured on the front cover), reducing that to 4 stars because of the DPLII thing.

Hope this is all helpful to you.

Jim ;)

5. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Brian

I heard the Aegos at an AV show in Manchester. They sound very good for the money and are minute in size. They can't quite compete with their bigger brothers (the Evo series), but then they are nearly half the price.

For a discrete system that packs a fair punch I think they would beat anything on offer from Pioneer at a similar price (IMO that is).

Only downside is that I think your room size deserves better. That is a big room (well by UK standards anyway). You can easily fit the Evo range in there and the difference in that size of room would be considerable. You'll need a decent sub to get some real cinema rumble in a room of this size. The Evo 5 package is around the £800 - £900 here and the Aego about £500 if I remember rightly. They'd be well worth the extra if funds and their size don't put you off.

Chris

6. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard the Aego package too, which sounded shockingly good for their size, and better than all similarly sized Home-cinema-in-a-Box systems I've heard.

7. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the AEGO 5 + processor i`m no expert but knowone can believe how good these little things are.

8. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris and Dimmy,

After hearing your comments, I've begun to wonder if I've passed this system up to quickly when making my shortlist (can't get the link thingy to work, but the thread's entitled something like 'KEF 1005 and my shortlist, your advice plz' - what do you think? (Speakers to be hooked up to something like Marantz 4400 as I mentioned above).

It's just that I didn't want to put the sub behind my TV in the corner - didn't want it to boom, and with the length of the connector cord supplied being only 3m (for the 5 preouts to the sub) that was my only option. Also my wife didn't want to mount things on walls. Do I need to rethink things - am I passing up a winner?

Cheers,
    Jim

9. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    hi ,aego 5 is excellent brian,decent in stereo as well and the sub has real oomph for its size,you wont be disappointed,rgrdspat

10. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    making me think of getting one of these as well.

Like you rainbow, I am also considering the Kef KHT 1005's.

Anyone know how they compare?

11. wobbleshop

wobbleshop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all the feed back! much appreciated! i still havent made a purchase..but i am leaning toward getting one the Pioneer VSX-55TXi for my receiver and the aego 5 for my speakers. im a little concerned about having to run the speakers both to the receivers pre-outs AND to the sub. is that typical? it sounds like a bit much. right now i have all my equipment in a closet at one end of the room. i have conduit run through the attic that comes out at the rear of the room. i have a single s-video cable running through there that connects my projector and whatever source i decide to plug in at the time (dvd,cable etc).

sounds like to do the aego 5 i would need to run some serious cable!

-brian